The Cadets and GH history of sexual abuse (news article)

32 minutes ago, mingusmonk said:

Penn cancels plans with Cadets drum corps following sexual misconduct allegations against director

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/politics/penn-cadets-george-hopkins-sexual-misconduct-20180501.html

This is a bummer, because that's a great stadium to watch drum corps in.  However, I won't miss the city itself.

This is also a curious decision, considering the fact the all the corps leadership that organized the plans is now GONE.  What is Penn afraid of at this point?  Or is there more to this decision than they are saying?

5 minutes ago, Tommeee said:

This is a bummer, because that's a great stadium to watch drum corps in.  However, I won't miss the city itself.

This is also a curious decision, considering the fact the all the corps leadership that organized the plans is now GONE.  What is Penn afraid of at this point?  Or is there more to this decision than they are saying?

Penn University is an extremely liberal/leftist institution. This development is predictable knowing how they overreact to social issues.

Penn took back an honorary degree from Bill Cosby a while back too. Man sounds like they are distancing themselves from any type of sexual harassment from anyone.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

12 minutes ago, Tommeee said:

The article said they made this decision about a month ago so it must have been before all of the changes. A little premature I think.

14 minutes ago, dans said:

Penn University is an extremely liberal/leftist institution. This development is predictable knowing how they overreact to social issues.

I don't see it as a conservative or liberal issue. It's basic human decency. Unfortunately it hurts those currently part of the Cadets, Yea!, and fans, but what GH did to these women is beyond excusable regardless of political leanings, and I believe Penn has the right to not want to associate with an organization that GH was part of. Just as with Penn pulling back their award for Bill Cosby, I feel it's completely justified. These are heinous crimes that unfortunately have a fallout that reaches beyond scumbags like GH and Bill Cosby.

11 minutes ago, JoshClements403 said:

The article said they made this decision about a month ago so it must have been before all of the changes. A little premature I think.

Premature? They made the decision because the person that had worked with the site is a monster that violates women. It's their property and for them not to want to associate with Yea! or USBands is understandable.

13 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Penn took back an honorary degree from Bill Cosby a while back too. Man sounds like they are distancing themselves from any type of sexual harassment from anyone.

Can you blame them? My only hope for Yea! and USBands moving forward is that more sites don't make this decision, especially now considering GH is not part of the organization.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, dans said:

Or ...

The man who controlled and interfaced from YEA on all of these deals and transactions for decades was GH. So maybe the contacts and institutions were having hard time reconciling these deals as anything but a deal with GH.

That is one of more than a handful or reasonable scenarios that I could see for this deal being terminated. Especially not knowing the inside of how the current YEA staff is dealing with these engagements anew. Seems strange to completely dismiss it as political balderdash without having more insight.

Edited by mingusmonk
  • Like 3

Not blaming Penn at all. They also removed Steve Wynns’ name of one the campus grounds for the same reason. Wonder how many people think Cosby went to Penn instead of Temple.

33 minutes ago, dans said:

Yeah, they do get a little preachy  and condenscending at times at this Ivy League Univ.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/u-penn-prof-charged-in-wifes-murder/

Edited by BRASSO

7 minutes ago, mingusmonk said:

Or ...

The man who controlled and interfaced from YEA on all of these deals and transactions for decades was GH. So maybe the contacts and institutions were having hard time reconciling these deals as anything but a deal with associated with GH.

That is one of more than a handful or reasonable scenarios that I could see for this deal being terminated. Especially not knowing the inside of how the current YEA staff is dealing with these engagements anew. Seems strange to completely dismiss it as political balderdash without having more insight.

yup. several schools have left USBAnds, or at least pulled back on involvement, despite the good things the new board has done so far. Just to be associated with the organization is too much for some. it will take time to rebuild some goodwill

• Like 5