The Cadets and GH history of sexual abuse (news article)

Difference now is the schools have to report them compared to few decades back. Late 70s we heard rumors of attacks but nothing said publicly even in the school paper as the school didn’t want to scare anyone. Yeah right didn’t want to scare the parents to remove the kids from school. Now school paper even reports the stupid drunk behavior that gets people arrested.

As for crime on campus you get enough people together you’re going to have some of them do criminal or jerk behavior. Law of averages and human nature plus other stupidity.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

8 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Wonder how many potential show sites are looking at what went on with GH and thinking “that #### could have happened on our site”. Yes been mentioned before but wonder if that went into Penns reason to back off

I have tried to say several times (some more eloquent than others) that the repercussions from Hopkins-gate are going to reverberate far beyond YEA. 

Schools (universities as well as high schools) see what happened at Penn State & Michigan State - top leadership forced out & in some cases criminal charges because an individual sexually assaulted students at their facilities when they were in charge. 

If I were in their shoes and a group that just fired their director & BOD over sexual assault accusations I would be very wary of letting them on campus just weeks later - the potential liability is too great.  

Unfortunately, this is the reality Corps will now operate under.

Good job George.

Edited by IllianaLancerContra

11 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

As for crime on campus you get enough people together you’re going to have some of them do criminal or jerk behavior. Law of averages and human nature plus other stupidity.

Agree. Totally. There is not a single institution out there, ie Schools, Universities, Churches, Companies, Print Media, TV media,  Hosptials, Drum Corps, Sports teams, Youth Groups, etc you name it, where there are over 2,000 people in it, that there are not some sexual deviants, criminals, bad apples of all degrees. Its called the " Law of Large Numbers" in the Statistics realm. The fact they have not been caught, does not mean they do not exist. Oh, they exist all right. Approx  99, 5% - 99.8% of people play by the rules. But do the math. The .250 % that don't, is a "large number", untoo its own. Imagine if there are 4,000 in the group. 5,000 in the group. Or more. So they're most certainly there all right in ANY large group or organization. The key is to have safeguards in place to do as much as possible to make them think twice that THIS is where they believe they can strike. And when caught, swift and certain punishment is metered out to send a clear and unambiguous signal to anyone else that does not want to play by the rules that there is a heavy price indeed for criminality..

Edited by BRASSO
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Wonder how many potential show sites are looking at what went on with GH and thinking “that #### could have happened on our site”. Yes been mentioned before but wonder if that went into Penns reason to back off

None of the allegations are current.  It doesn't make them less serious for the victims, but it also suggests that the venue is at no greater risk with The Cadets than any other corps at the present time.  And this decision was apparently made at a time when The Cadets were still expecting to be on the West Coast, so it wasn't like they kicked the corps off of Franklin Field.

59 minutes ago, Icer said:

None of the allegations are current.  It doesn't make them less serious for the victims, but it also suggests that the venue is at no greater risk with The Cadets than any other corps at the present time.  And this decision was apparently made at a time when The Cadets were still expecting to be on the West Coast, so it wasn't like they kicked the corps off of Franklin Field.

Doesn’t matter if allegations are current as sites would be thinking of possible future problems. IOW if sites think corps might have a history of problems they would be less likely of allowing use. And by corps I mean that in the plural sense. I mentioned GH in my earlier post but this could affect all corps DCI and DCA.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

And to go to Brassos response my old church started getting their act together in the 90s. Biggest thing I learned was predators look for places that do not have good safeguards in place. They are sick but not stupid.

21 hours ago, DCI-86 said:

or is GH being vindictive - who knows what he is up to in the back ground?

Whatever power he once had has been completely neutralized. He doesn't come back from this. He's done. For good. No more drum corps, no more marching band, no more youth programs. He is DONE. As for the notion of pulling some strings from some remote hideaway, what person in their right mind associated with DCI or YEA would want to have anything to do with him? Or wield enough influence with others to lead some kind of shadow movement at his behest?

Let's put it this way, Bill Cosby has a better shot at making another family sitcom before George Hopkins will be involved with any drum corps ever again. Not happening.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, seen-it-all said:

Whatever power he once had has been completely neutralized. He doesn't come back from this. He's done. For good. No more drum corps, no more marching band, no more youth programs. He is DONE. As for the notion of pulling some strings from some remote hideaway, what person in their right mind associated with DCI or YEA would want to have anything to do with him? Or wield enough influence with others to lead some kind of shadow movement at his behest?

Let's put it this way, Bill Cosby has a better shot at making another family sitcom before George Hopkins will be involved with any drum corps ever again. Not happening.

You would be surprised

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

You would be surprised

Ever the contrarian. :bigsmile:

7 minutes ago, mingusmonk said:

Ever the contrarian:bigsmile:

naw not really....but I'm ok with that too...lol

Actually, I have seen many dozens of times people getting themselves back into the activity even after horrific things and welcomed back with open arms,....quietly at first of course.

Not saying it will happen in this case  strange things HAVE happened in the past

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 2