The Cadets and GH history of sexual abuse (news article)

1 hour ago, BRASSO said:

Of course. Its not even a " maybe " either. He'd done. As it should be. 11 is a number thats not a " maybe " he didn't do this stuff either. .

and remember...and not saying this will exonerate Hop....a few years ago the Duke lacrosse team was public enemy #1.

until of course later, and not nearly as publicized, they were found not be nearly as guilty as originally published.

Edited by Jeff Ream
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

let me repeat......

a pessimistic attitude, based on facts is a good thing to move forward. EVERYONE needs to stay on their toes so this finally is eradicated from ALL activities.

You can trust anyone you want BUT holding one's feet to the fire will ensure this

I dont care what anyone SAYS.....show me

I also don't believe everything I read , see on TV, the internet, or whats on jumbotrons

I think I've been pretty clear

well no. you didn't bow down to his demands for what he wanted you to say

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

I dont care what anyone SAYS.....show me

Its true. Noone can pretend to know the future. All we have to go on at the moment that DCI is serious is a DCI HQ unprecedented probationary status imposed upon one of its  DCI member Corps, demands the Corps implement in order to come off probationary status, a timeline to complete the required policies and procedures, and a further evaluation by DCI HQ. to determine if those conditions have been met satisfactorily in order to have that DCI probationary status lifted. DCI HQ, YEA, and the other Corps themselves, all appear to be vigorously enhancing and/ or implementing new policies and procedures to make strong their internal systems of reporting such inapprorpriate sexual behaviors/ harrassments. abuses, etc.  As such, there is the enhanced background checks that DCI HQ will reportedly be implementing that supposedly will not allow sexual predators that have been let go, to return to DCI" with open arms... but quietly " ever again. Yes, these are mere words at the moment. But the words along with real concrete implementation of policies and procedures that both DCI Corps and DCI HQ are currently undertaking does give many of us.... you nothwithstanding... the confidence that guys with " horrific " histories like George Hopkins, won't be returning " to DCI with open arms... and quietly " as they might have once in the past. Should people that have created " horrific behaviors " ever be allowed to return again,  DCI should fold up its tent, as noone can ever justify the continuation of such an unsafe environment enterprise, ripe for further abuse,  any longer. Its 2018 now. Not 1968, 1978, 1988, 1998, 2008.

Edited by BRASSO

10 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

and remember...and not saying this will exonerate Hop....a few years ago the Duke lacrosse team was public enemy #1.

until of course later, and not nearly as publicized, they were found not be nearly as guilty as originally published.

You had some bad ingredients in the mix with that scandal, Jeff. You had a local DA who basically decided to turn ### into a springboard for their political career and did 2 pretty stupid things:

1: Was way too public about their investigation from the beginning to get themselves attention/notoriety.

2: Aaaand, shouldn't have been as public, because as more facts and information began to be uncovered and discovered, it undermined the prosecutor's case to the point they couldn't indict/bring to trial because it the case was way too weak, and also pretty much bungled by them.

It's a textbook case on how NOT to prosecute a case. Silence is a good thing for Prosecutors until they're ready to act.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mingusmonk said:

I have seen this too. Quiet promotions to non-teaching jobs temporarily. Back room "resignations" to keep the perpetror's name and/or family from being tarnished, etc. The machinations that allow for people to keep creeping back in. But in the context of current national cultural and social developments of the last few years, I'm not sure it is fair to use those now-dated examples.

The responses that you are replying to are reference GH's power and influence today. And I agree them that ... today ... it is gone. And given the progress of this subject in current times, if anybody can be considered eradicated from the activity, it will be him.

It's very hard to imagine GH ever returning to the activity in any capacity. He's too well known, and the news coverage of his misdeeds is too extensive.

But, without any first-hand knowledge, I suspect that there are other people who were not so well known and whose misdeeds were handled quietly. If there's no arrest or conviction or news coverage, it's probably not going to show up on a future employer's background check. Even with the best of intentions and a solid vetting process, it's not possible to have perfect knowledge of the background of every staff member and volunteer in a large organization.

16 minutes ago, BigW said:

You had some bad ingredients in the mix with that scandal, Jeff. You had a local DA who basically decided to turn ### into a springboard for their political career and did 2 pretty stupid things:

1: Was way too public about their investigation from the beginning to get themselves attention/notoriety.

2: Aaaand, shouldn't have been as public, because as more facts and information began to be uncovered and discovered, it undermined the prosecutor's case to the point they couldn't indict/bring to trial because it the case was way too weak, and also pretty much bungled by them.

It's a textbook case on how NOT to prosecute a case. Silence is a good thing for Prosecutors until they're ready to act.

That case was three LaCrosse players and stripper.  Entirely different scenario here. 

1 minute ago, Terri Schehr said:

That case was three LaCrosse players and stripper.  Entirely different scenario here. 

Yes, however, Prosecutors can still bungle any case at hand for these same reasons.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, ShortAndFast said:

It's very hard to imagine GH ever returning to the activity in any capacity. He's too well known, and the news coverage of his misdeeds is too extensive.

But, without any first-hand knowledge, I suspect that there are other people who were not so well known and whose misdeeds were handled quietly. If there's no arrest or conviction or news coverage, it's probably not going to show up on a future employer's background check. Even with the best of intentions and a solid vetting process, it's not possible to have perfect knowledge of the background of every staff member and volunteer in a large organization.

There was little social media back in the 90’s when the Capitolaires case occurred.  However, there was an abundance of social media in 2013 when the person in question returned to drum corps.  This was a case of a couple of people bringing it to the attention of the powers that be and being ignored and/or threatened.  It cost us money by being whistleblowers.  

I would like to have faith that people would scream bloody murder...I’ll have to wait and see.  

Edited by Terri Schehr
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, GUARDLING said:

there are many things well known in the activity that has happened with people,.,,. 

I keep reading this. Never read any actual detail though. You got any specifics?  Don't even need to include names. But this "everybody knows" while including zero information is not really moving the needle. 

• Like 2