The Cadets and GH history of sexual abuse (news article)

I had time to reflect about all of this at work. Loading 2 trailers and sorting through foreign shipments and hazmat boxes lends itself to reflection to avoid boredom.

After looking at some of the 200 plus posts that were entered after I left for work, I think I need to say it. Not in any "I told you so way", more as some observations and things that make me think- and might make some other folks think and reflect. I have no real answers about these thoughts.

I've known for some years something just wasn't quite right there. I know someone who was there who was "approached" several years ago that's not one of the individuals named in the article. There are so many thoughts in my head. Bear with me, please. This individual wanted all of what's been thoughtfully discussed in this thread, privacy, not to raise a ruckus and damage the Cadets, etc. Maybe they also thought, it was just them, what could they do alone? These things hit home to me. I also trust this individual implicitly. This would have been the last thing they would have made up/fabricated for me, Period.

If I had said something- there would be people, quite  understandably, that would say if I had said it even 2 days ago that I had a pretty big axe to grind against the organization, what are you doing, You're nasty and crazy, etc.. I get that. It's okay, it doesn't make me angry, just thoughtful. I say this now after this comes out, I believe that what I have said above will be taken quite differently. I also hope that those of you who think that I have been a bit negative about the YEA umbrella over the years will hopefully better understand why I've been that way for that time. This has been festering under the surface for me in that regard. The other stuff I have had issues with and discussed off and on again here about various YEA issues/philosophies pales with that bit of knowledge I have had wrapped up in my head for years. I can't even imagine what the victims go through- many orders of magnitude greater levels of anger, frustration, other negatives.

Another thing I've realized reading the comments- and it heartens me. No matter when we marched/performed, with whom, what we played or spun, no matter what we like and don't like about the art form or where it's going, whether we like speakers, musical goo, whatever... to a person we all just want our peers treated with the kindness, dignity, and respect that they should be given in this activity and we would expect for ourselves.

I know I've said before on other threads we have far more in common than we have different from one another in this activity and we need to keep it in mind and focus on that more. If anything good comes of this mess, maybe that will happen. I pray it does.

Edited by BigW
bad spelling and grammar, shame on me

3 hours ago, MikeRapp said:

Please, If you are another drum corps, take heed of this day and for the sake of everyone don’t let this happen to you! No one person should have the power to crush a corps under their own personal failings.

It's happened before. And it will always make me deeply sad to think about it.

Tom was one of four people on a mental short list I thought could take the position and restore integrity to it. Talking this fall with a Cadet Alumni, I told him I thought perhaps Tom came back with the possibility of becoming the next director. The alum was surprised I said that. I thought at work, maybe he wouldn't want to do it. God Bless him. I've always had deep respect for him ever since I knew him in college. I know things will eventually be what they should be with him there. I know he'll set things right. Period.

• Like 1

I really do hope that with whatever else happens with people in DCI coming forward, that it happens soon. Get the abusers out of a position where they can affect members this coming summer, as well as try to get the distraction for current marching members out of the way so nothing happens that would drastically affect their experiences over tour more than that already would.

inappropriate content and collateral posts reported and removed.

we SINCERELY appreciate you all keeping this on topic and civil -  Thanks.

we are entering that point in a thread's life cycle where the conversation exhausts and starts to wander, though.  please do what you can to keep it going and report any questionable/inappropriate contributions to the moderators.

5 hours ago, jjeffeory said:

https://cavaliers.org/news-blog/cavaliers-focus-on-student-workplace-safety

Cavaliers have a workplace safety policy in place too.

And a very explicit whistle blower process.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rusty said:

YEA's BOD needs to face the brutal reality of the situation in which they have placed their organization. 

Their own statement:

- confirms that they knew of these allegations at least since January; 

- confirms that they refused the victims' requirement to suspend Hopkins and have an independent firm conduct an investigation; 

- offers no apology to any of the victims; 

- and gives no indication, beyond a mealy-mouthed "we'll make this a safe environment for all" passage, of any intent to implement changes to prevent this in the future. 

Here's what happens next. Parents of current marching members will take one look at this statement and yank their kids from the organization, contracts be ######. Corporate sponsorships will vanish. That sweetheart deal you have with Yamaha? Kiss it goodbye. And what alumnus with a pulse is going to donate a penny to support an organization that runs itself in such a fashion?

In spectacularly short order, the corps may not have the numbers, much less the finances, to field a show in June. 

BOD, you have a choice. Step down for the good of the organization, or go down with the ship that you so cavalierly steered into the iceberg. 

Or not.  You need to step down your rhetoric, IMO, because you can't predict the future. 

There are lots of alums who, once the ship is righted, will get on board to help row.

That changes your entire dynamic.

Even if you have credentials, you can't predict the future. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JohnZ said:

inappropriate content and collateral posts reported and removed.

we SINCERELY appreciate you all keeping this on topic and civil -  Thanks.

we are entering that point in a thread's life cycle where the conversation exhausts and starts to wander, though.  please do what you can to keep it going and report any questionable/inappropriate contributions to the moderators.

Thanks for this, as always but DANG, I wish I knew what you were chopping.  So much content so fast, frankly, I'm not sure I wasn't involved in the convo you chopped.

Would you sent some note if I were part of the problem?

PITA to be you at this time, I'm sure.