The Cadets and GH history of sexual abuse (news article)

4 hours ago, 84BDsop said:

You DO know that you can discuss one aspect of an issue without invalidating the rest, right?

10 yard penalty and loss of down for use of logic and common sense.

Part of keeping it civil, right?  

6 hours ago, geluf said:

That entire board has to go.  Immediately.  Alumni are all well and good, but who has the power to oust the board?  Honestly asking.

I'd put real money on the sponsorships calling to cancel by tomorrow.  Does anyone think, say, Yamaha wants to their corporate logo plastered on YEA's website right now?

I'm curious - exactly what is it that you are suggesting the current board should have done?  These allegations range from 35+ years ago to more than 10 years ago.  The website doesn't list when each member started, but were any of them even on the board when the incidents in the article are claimed to have taken place?  How many of the members of the corps other than the alleged victims had knowledge of these claims during all these years?  During all the time when people were spending thousands of pages on this forum from alumni arguing about leadership style, personality, show theme, robes, vocalists, and 7th place finish, did even one person make an accusation of sexual misconduct prior to 2018?  I would venture a guess that no one knew about this except the victims and the few people whom they told (probably outside the activity). Would anything be gained by blaming alumni?  Or longtime sponsors?  Of course not.  

Now if it turns out that some or all of the current board members (all of whom are volunteers) or active alumni (you know - the ones who buy the VIP tickets and go to wine tastings in Bergen County) were aware of the incidents claimed in the article any time before the investigation began this year OR that there have been allegations of assault that occurred more recently that were known and ignored, then the story changes completely.  But unless this is the claim, this seems to be a misplaced exercise which will help neither the alleged victims nor the organization.

20 minutes ago, garfield said:

...you can't predict the future. 

Can you? I mean, anything can happen from here on out. What they said isn't exactly that far out in left field. 

A quote from the DCI statement:

”DCI was unaware of the specific allegations highlighted in the recent article. We take these allegations seriously, and in addition to reaching out to the participating organization, DCI will also conduct its own internal review to determine whether any current members of our staff were aware of these allegations and failed to report them, as required by DCI policy.”

The use of the word “specific” really concerns me. Is DCI on the hook as well? I’m heartbroken, just heartbroken. My thoughts and well wishes go out to everyone harmed by all of this. 

• Confused 1

7 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

how interesting Sean was announced as leaving a few weeks ago

Considering the potential aftershocks of this type of revelation is frightening. But, here we are. I don't believe there are any criminal charges at this point, and perhaps there will not be any. However, if so, I ask about the impact of CIVIL suits that usually follow. There is insurance to deal with that but can it still be a financial burden on the managing organizations finances? Enough of a burden to cripple the organization's normal operations.

48 minutes ago, garfield said:

Or not.  You need to step down your rhetoric, IMO, because you can't predict the future. 

There are lots of alums who, once the ship is righted, will get on board to help row.

That changes your entire dynamic.

Even if you have credentials, you can't predict the future. 

I agree there are many alums who could step up to the plate, and there are some former directors of other corps who have an excellent reputation in the drum corps community who, if available could set things right. Long term for a director they should consider an outsider and often times in these situations outside of drum corps, a woman at the helm has been an excellent choice. 

I do think Rusty is correct in saying parents will pull, especially after the YEA statement. In most cases parents pay the bill. Alums may be able to set the corps on a good direction, and we may be impresssed when names are announced, but if your a parent who never matched, will these names mean anything? He’s very much on target regarding corporate sponsors. 

This is a crucial time for Cadets. This weekend’s camp will be a barometer of what’s to come and with WGI percussion and guard finals in the near future, members who wanted to march with Cadets but do not want drama could be recruited to fill empty spots.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Incognito365 said:

Can you? I mean, anything can happen from here on out. What they said isn't exactly that far out in left field. 

No, but I'm not the one making the contention.

It's not the opinion, it's the certainty of his wording with which I take issue.

Cool heads and civil discussion means admitting that actual facts as we know them do not predict that any path is certain at this point.

7 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

As someone noted earlier, there's a lawyer on YEA's board. Not to mention the firm who conducted the investigation. Given that they've known for months there are allegations, they should have been prepared. Also, the Inquirer almost certainly would have reached out to the board for response before publishing.

First, there have been so many posts, I do not recall seeing that there was a lawyer on the YEA board, but a lawyer on the board or a lawyer for the independent investigators should not be writing the statement, it should be outside legal counsel. Also, I wrote this original comment prior to the release of the YEA statement. I think we’ll see the YEA response did more harm than good.They should have acted sooner and the actions taken should have been more than a prepared statement. At a minimum the now former director should have been put on leave, DCI or DCA should have been asked to recommend an investigator to remove any conflicts of interest, and law enforcement should have been notified.

Did a quick Google Image search for "yea bod statement".  Got a few hits...

Add-Fuel-To-The-Fire.jpg

jurassic-park-50.png

WTF_Shit_Storm_Diarrhea_Tsunami.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1