The Cadets and GH history of sexual abuse (news article)

9 minutes ago, 2muchcoffeeman said:

This news story is airtight. Sources are named; several of their accounts are corroborated by witnesses; the nine accounts span a long range of time and share similar characteristics. The reporting is ironclad and the writing is cool, clinical. It is rock-solid journalism.

Lest anyone think Philly.com is some goofy blog site, it is most certainly not. It's the Philadelphia Inquirer, a paper with a rich history of excellent investigative reporting, and an reputation for rooting out corruption. I guarantee you this article went through a very lengthy and thorough, and exhaustive fact-checking process.

Edited by Kamarag
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, hostrauser said:

It was eight months between the Sandusky scandal hitting the headlines (Nov 2011) and the NCAA finishing their independent investigation and sanctioning Penn State (Jul 2012). Give it time. MSU should (deservedly) be buried, too.

not just the sanctions. The moral outrage about Penn State didnt let up for months. granted i'm 2 hours away so it was daily, but it was national. the MSU story has died off the national radar

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, 2muchcoffeeman said:

A newspaper is not a court of law.

BUT

Under oath, in a trial, testimony -- i.e., people who talk -- is considered evidence.

This news story is airtight. Sources are named; several of their accounts are corroborated by witnesses; the nine accounts span a long range of time and share similar characteristics. The reporting is ironclad and the writing is cool, clinical. It is rock-solid journalism.

Again, I'm not saying none of this happened.  And it's not for me to decide...

But "testimony" and "evidence" are most definitely NOT the same thing.  Not in a court of law, and not anywhere else either.

Also, I agree, it is a very well-written article.

Edited by Tommeee
adding one more point

1 minute ago, Jeff Ream said:

not just the sanctions. The moral outrage about Penn State didnt let up for months. granted i'm 2 hours away so it was daily, but it was national. the MSU story has died off the national radar

Much of the "moral outrage" was in response to the cult-like alumni supporting their unwavering support for the guy in charge. They brought it on themselves. Michigan State doesn't have that problem. Their alumni are as upset as anyone. That's just one of the many reasons the comparison of YEA to college sports is an absurd one.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Kamarag said:

Lest anyone think Philly.com is some goofy blog site, it is most certainly not. It's the Philadelphia Inquirer, a paper with a rich history of excellent investigative reporting, and an reputation for rooting out corruption. I guarantee you this article went through a very lengthy and thorough, and exhaustive fact-checking process.

All of this. I understand the story will get more legs very soon (as in this weekend) and I feel that both YEA and DCI (if not all corps) really need to have solid statements out before Sunday morning. 

• Like 1

I think anyone who has been in the activity for more than a short time is not completely surprised by this.  Nor will we be surprised by the sure to come additional revelations from many other organizations. For many decades drum corps operated outside of any meaningful supervision by any parent or school group, for staff to have sexual relationships with members, both consensual and nonconsensual was a commonplace occurrence. Drum corps was the ######## stepchild of "legitimate" musical groups and things went down there that simply didn't in other groups, or at least not to the same extent.

The sexual revolution in drum corps was like pouring gasoline on flames, (not that it apparently needed it if you know stories from folks in the activity 70's and  prior) and I would argue that in the activity as in most of society as a whole, young vulnerable women were the ones hurt most often. Society told us meaningless hookups were ok and harmless.  They weren't. And staffs were often simply aged out members who saw the current members as fair game, not for a moment considering the power differential that existed, however small and informal it might have been.  Guys like Hopkins, acted with impunity for years.  And now the chickens have truly come home to roost.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

Simple rules to crisis management.  Violate any one of them and you're gonna have a bad time. Since this has been simmering for some time now, it would appear that they are about to have a bad time.

Tell the truth

Tell it first

Tell it yourself

Tell it all

• Like 8

9 minutes ago, Tommeee said:

But "testimony" and "evidence" are most definitely NOT the same thing.  Not in a court of law, and not anywhere else either.

https://evidence.uslegal.com/testimony/

But you are right in the sense that testimony is not synonymous with evidence. It is evidence given by a witness, as compared to evidence provided by a document or something.

Edited by 2muchcoffeeman

I am physically ill and literally have tears in my eyes. I feel horrible for the victims, both for what happened to them and also that they have to publicly relive these atrocities. I can not imagine the PTSD they have to live with. 

Edited by Jurassic Lancer
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, fsthnds said:

Sadly,  this WILL have ramifications all thru DCI and beyond.

But long overdue, imo

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1