YEA board resigns

4 hours ago, njthundrrd said:
CALLING ALL CADET ALUMNI! After giving a sizeable donation to The Cadets yesterday (my first one in 26 years) I was alarmed to find out that they only have 300 alumni in their database. With the recent events of last week and today, it is time to change that.... and give.... to the organization that gave us all so much.

It automatically populates into their database.

PLEASE SHARE THIS WITH EVERY CADET ALUM YOU KNOW. If a petition concerning our corps could get 4800 responses, I call upon my Cadet brothers and sisters of all generations to fill this out, then give when they finally do email you!

Hey Eric,

I know I'm one of those 300. By the way, I work 5 miles south of you on I-45. Strange co-incidence.

2 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Interestingly, Randy Quaid was so abusive to fellow actors in a stage production of Lone Star Love in 2008 that they kicked him out of Actors' Equity, their union. It's a lifetime ban.

As a quick aside, Randy's brother Dennis ( also with his own set of reported bad behaviors in his personal life )was absolutely captivating in the role of an emotionally abusive and violent father in the recently released 2018 movie " I Can Only Imagine " (  the movie was based upon a true story ) . I saw the movie 2 weeks ago in the theatre and gave it a thumbs up, especially for the stellar acting of Dennis Quaid in it.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Scerpella said:

Agree this was a necessary move but am kind of surprised at the tone of the alumni who think it's just a matter of moving on now.  I think this will be playing out for some time before any healing or moving on starts to happen. Clearly, Hopkins accusers will derive some measure of satisfaction. What of others who haven't and may not come forward? And what happens when this possibly spreads to other DCI organizations?  There is a possibility everything about DCI changes in the near future.

You have something this massive happen and it's effects may be felt for some time.  Madison is still trying to return to top six 16 years later after the exit of Scott Stewart.

The point is that those responsible be held accountable but not at the expense of the 2018 Cadets. We are not naïve to think that this will be the endgame, however, the show must go on and the 2018 members did pay to march this season without the baggage that is taking place.

6 hours ago, Eleran said:

I was thinking ... central NJ, maybe somewhere near Exit 8A, where so many of the farms have been converted into warehouse distribution centers.  There are still some properties for sale that would make a nice campus with rooms for fields (indoor and out), rehearsal rooms, offices, storage, etc.

A fellah can dream, can't he?

I live at 8A, for another few months, anyway, for the past 25 years. There are some open areas still around. It would indeed be  nice to have something other than a warehouse built around here!

6 hours ago, Kyle B said:

Can always go back to that ugly, cramped hall (VFW or AL post?) in Garfield.

Can 't use the Paterson Armory, as it is being demolished after a fire. We haled marching rehearsals there when I marched...until the back wall fell down.   

5 hours ago, Scerpella said:

Agree this was a necessary move but am kind of surprised at the tone of the alumni who think it's just a matter of moving on now. 

I don't see that at all in the Alumni FB group. Quite the opposite in fact. They are gearing up to provide as much support as possible, and everyone knows it is not over and done.

12 hours ago, Tim K said:

The board resigning is a good move, but I have had one major question over the years regarding the YEA board, long before the recent events. The board was often considered a “rubber stamp” for the former director. Was the YEA board juridical with actual responsibilities and some independence, or was it advisory only? Both kinds of boards can be effective if used well, and both can have challenges. Another issue would be how board members are selected and who does the selecting. While I do think the board needed to be replaced, understanding how YEA’s board worked and what authority it had will be crucial in moving forward, because if you do know know the why of the board’s functioning, the problems could happen again.

this board has people with credibility on it...and any screw ups here could affect their day jobs. in big ways

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Eleran said:

Next up?  Time to buy some vacant property in NJ and build a campus!    :3_grin:

not under the YEA name. There's reasons they moved to PA, and a better deal wasn't really it. Nj doesn't take well to multiple bankruptcy issues

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, geluf said:

Nah, this is pretty normal.  Tresona is just a rights-granting entity.  As long as they continue to treat YEA as they would any other client vis-a-vis rights granting and costs then there's no issue.

And this is easy to track since non-profit books are available to the public upon request.

and easy to enforce the rules on the band side

It mattered to me in a good way to see the brief bios and the planned focus of each person. Seemed like someone put some thought into not just the who but also the why for the who.