YEA board resigns

3 minutes ago, chris7997 said:

How about a little more sensitivity to potential victims.  I doubt, if what the victims say is true, they care that the dancing won't stop at Xcape.  I think it's time we start honoring the victims and pay attention to their stories (assuming the allegations are true again...and boy...it's hard to believe they aren't.). 

Some of the victims are on the Cadet alumni FB group, and they are very supportive of the organization continuing....that is one reason they waited so long to report what happened. I have  not seen anybody in any place make light of what these marvelous women went through. The support has been overwhelming as far as I have seen.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, chris7997 said:

I got to tell you, I don't know if the initial statement by the YEA Board of Directors in response to the sexual abuse allegations was the OLD board or the NEW board, but it is pathetic (assuming the allegations are true).  I wrote about this on another stream, but I think it's worth exposing again. 

The YEA statement is pathetic.   "George has resigned. Though he denies the allegations, he believes stepping aside is in the best interest of the organization. We agree."  WHY?  If he did NOTHING wrong, then why resign?  And why would YEA agree of his resignation. If he's falsely accused he shouldn't resign.   This is YEA wiping their hands of any guilt or shame.

And then YEA has the GALL to say, "Today was difficult for everyone. We expect tomorrow to be better." Today was difficult for everyone?!  So again, the pain of the victims is as bad as the pain you at YEA are going through right now?   We expect tomorrow to be better?!  All ready to move on and sweep this under the rug are we YEA? 

But in their statement, YEA reminds us "The dancing at Xcape won't stop."  Oh ok.  That makes everything better. I FEEL so better.  Thank you. 

How about a little more sensitivity to potential victims.  I doubt, if what the victims say is true, they care that the dancing won't stop at Xcape.  I think it's time we start honoring the victims and pay attention to their stories (assuming the allegations are true again...and boy...it's hard to believe they aren't.). 

I think most.. if not all agree... this 1st YEA Board in that 1st press release was a PR disaster, and insensitive to the victims, as well as perhaps crossing the line into victim shameing a bit. But its old news it seems to me as that Board was forced to resign, replaced by an entirely new YEA Board on the fly. The new YEA BOD's actions actions so far ( imo ) seems to be proactive, transparent, and efficient in working with victims, the media, and DCI itself. So I'm not getting whats the value in dredging up the old YEA Board here as being a collosal failure in their oversight reposonsibilities for too many years to list. That seems a given in light of what we all seem to know now. Why not give the new YEA Board a bit more time to sort things out, as they try to make things right there, and focus your thoughts  now on THAT YEA Board ?

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, chris7997 said:

I got to tell you, I don't know if the initial statement by the YEA Board of Directors in response to the sexual abuse allegations was the OLD board or the NEW board, but it is pathetic (assuming the allegations are true).  I wrote about this on another stream, but I think it's worth exposing again. 

The YEA statement is pathetic.   "George has resigned. Though he denies the allegations, he believes stepping aside is in the best interest of the organization. We agree."  WHY?  If he did NOTHING wrong, then why resign?  And why would YEA agree of his resignation. If he's falsely accused he shouldn't resign.   This is YEA wiping their hands of any guilt or shame.

And then YEA has the GALL to say, "Today was difficult for everyone. We expect tomorrow to be better." Today was difficult for everyone?!  So again, the pain of the victims is as bad as the pain you at YEA are going through right now?   We expect tomorrow to be better?!  All ready to move on and sweep this under the rug are we YEA? 

But in their statement, YEA reminds us "The dancing at Xcape won't stop."  Oh ok.  That makes everything better. I FEEL so better.  Thank you. 

You could have saved yourself an unnecessary rant by reading the preleases af YEA.org

that was the original BOD and no one involved with that statement (or the initial reaction to the accusations back in January) are still involved with the organization

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

You could have saved yourself an unnecessary rant by reading the preleases af YEA.org

that was the original BOD and no one involved with that statement (or the initial reaction to the accusations back in January) are still involved with the organization

Ok fine. The new Board may be wonderful.  I haven't seen them apologize for the old Board's initial statement.   But I still believe it's worth exposing to keep the new Board accountable to realizing that we don't want statements about how great a season this is going to be this year!  So far it sounds like they are doing the right thing, but I'm skeptical of people who want to quickly sweep these things under the rug and "move on."   

Edited by chris7997

7 minutes ago, chris7997 said:

Ok fine.  I haven't seen them apologize for the old Board's initial statement.     

Well, maybe you could do a bit more research on that to self educate yourself on this.  That might help bring more clarity on this for you. Frankly, a fresh comparison with the statements/ actions between the 2 YEA Boards can be a learning experience itself on what to do and say, vs. what not to do and say.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, chris7997 said:

Ok fine. The new Board may be wonderful.  I haven't seen them apologize for the old Board's initial statement.   But I still believe it's worth exposing to keep the new Board accountable to realizing that we don't want statements about how great a season this is going to be this year!  So far it sounds like they are doing the right thing, but I'm skeptical of people who want to quickly sweep these things under the rug and "move on."   

The new YEA organization is far from sweeping things under the rug. Please read through the postings and some of the press reports. I see zero evidence of that.

Don't forget, there are kids who ARE getting ready to compete this summer in the Cadets and C2. They are also a focus for the day-to-day operations...while at no time ignoring the victims. At least one of the victims attended the last Cadet camp in support of the current corps. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, MikeD said:

The new YEA organization is far from sweeping things under the rug. Please read through the postings and some of the press reports. I see zero evidence of that.

Don't forget, there are kids who ARE getting ready to compete this summer in the Cadets and C2. They are also a focus for the day-to-day operations...while at no time ignoring the victims. At least one of the victims attended the last Cadet camp in support of the current corps. 

Did I say YEA was sweeping things under the rug? My response was to an the old Board post.  I don't know what the new Board is like. They may be terrific.    

Good for her. I'm glad she's supporting the Cadets and standing up!  I don't believe in making everyone a victim or guilty because some were a few bad apples.   Please understand. 

But I'm concerned about the danger to say, "yeah yeah...there was sexual abuse...and there still might be...but look, some of the victims are supporting the corps...we got it taken care of. Let's just move on.  Come on.  Let it go. Nothing to see here anymore."  It's been what, a week?!  A week of action?  Healing and changing the culture doesn't happen in one week.   I'm not saying you are saying that, but you could imagine that some drum corps fans, leaders, whomever who just want to "be entertained" for the next season and don't want these things to be exposed. 

Calling for more accountability and exposure and time on focusing on this issue of sexual abuse is not "un-supporting" the corps themselves. It's supporting the corps, whichever corps, because it's wanting the corps to be healthy and safe.  It's actually a healthy thing that we just don't want fans to focus on the next season and take some time to focus on what's really important.   Who cares about the next season?  Drum corps is not life.  It's not religion. "Drum corps seasons" aren't sacred.    But for too many people it is "the ultimate" and that leads I think to some of these issues. 

Edited by chris7997

5 minutes ago, chris7997 said:

Did I say YEA was sweeping things under the rug? My response was to an the old Board post.  I don't know what the new Board is like. They may be terrific.    

Good for her. I'm glad she's supporting the Cadets and standing up!  I don't believe in making everyone a victim or guilty because some were a few bad apples.   Please understand. 

But I'm concerned about the danger to say, "yeah yeah...there was sexual abuse...and there still might be...but look, some of the victims are supporting the corps...we got it taken care of. Let's just move on.  Come on.  Let it go. Nothing to see here anymore."  It's been what, a week?!  A week of action?  Healing and changing the culture doesn't happen in one week.   I'm not saying you are saying that, but you could imagine that some drum corps fans, leaders, whomever who just want to "be entertained" for the next season and don't want these things to be exposed. 

Calling for more accountability and exposure and time on focusing on this issue of sexual abuse is not "un-supporting" the corps themselves. It's supporting the corps, whichever corps, because it's wanting the corps to be healthy and safe.  It's actually a healthy thing that we just don't want fans to focus on the next season and take some time to focus on what's really important.   Who cares about the next season?  Drum corps is not life.  It's not religion. "Drum corps seasons" aren't sacred.    But for too many people it is "the ultimate" and that leads I think to some of these issues. 

It's been 2 weeks and the new board has acted quickly and admirably. The things you want to happen are happening. The board is focusing on addressing and preventing these things from happening again, the drum corps is focusing on being a drum corps. Nobody is sweeping anything under the rug, the investigation is ongoing, but there is no evidence at all that there are sexual predators still involved with YEA. In the meantime they are also working to continue fulfilling their purpose as an organization. Just because they are focusing on having a successful drum corps season doesn't mean they aren't also focusing on addressing the organizational failings under the previous regime.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, chris7997 said:

I responded to this...."So far it sounds like they are doing the right thing, but I'm skeptical of people who want to quickly sweep these things under the rug and "move on."   That sounds like you are referring to the new BOD.

Have you been reading all of the more recent information? You seem to be lagging behind  the current state of knowledge and ongoing activities. Nobody I have seen is downplaying what has happened at all. 

37 minutes ago, chris7997 said:

you could imagine that some drum corps fans, leaders, whomever who just want to "be entertained" for the next season and don't want these things to be exposed. 

Can't we have both ?, ie be entertained by the shows, while simultaneously having full investigations of wrongdoing wherever it lies ?  Its not one or the other, is it ?

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 2