Anyone else watching WGI guard finals tonight?

KVG_DC

Onyx

Striking tarp.  White with a black border an red stripe down the center.  Black and white striped tops with black pants for uniforms.  Everything going on from a big rifle soloist, to trios in motion, to a soloist with a skirt, to a duo spinning someone by their feet.   it's set to minimalist flute music thus far.  Every body line is visible on that tarp and it looks great. This is one of those 'everything in seamless motion' choreographies that works really well to guide the eye around to the big moments, and there are plenty.  Lots being done with body motion here.  It's like bodies are the props but they're in motion constantly as well.  Streamer silks on pols coming out here and there.  One traditional flag. There's an amazing use of the streamer on the floor in a spinning motion. Can't really describe it!  Geez the amount of tosses and releases they're doing with the rifles and sabres is insane.  It's all pretty clean too.  I've not seen an egregious drop, but there's so much going on i could easily have missed one.  Massive human pyramid at center with the top person slowly bringing up the Onyx flag to close. 

Wow. 

And they keep stage presence as they bring up the tarp and such.  

Edited by KVG_DC

UCF Pegasus World.   (The Open unit did fantastic earlier today taking the gold).

They're in what looks like old time Olympic Gymnast shirts and shorts.  No tarp. Barefoot.  Spoken word narrative as they do a variety of drill, rifle, and sabre work.  It's absurdly minimalist but intricate and compelling.  Unfortunately, I don't really hear well enough to make out the words in the narrative to know what story is being built here.  Internet tells me its Guernica, (I had to do some absurd searching...it seems WGI units aren't in the habit of having show information on their websites). I'm not entirely sure if its about the bombing or the Picasso or both.  The marching block that lies down there seems to echo a bit of both.   Show closes with a shirtless male member crawling over the bodies of the dead block in the back and rising to weep.  It's stark and bleak but amazingly powerful.

I’m watching WGI Independent World Championships. I’m confused as to why people scream every time someone catches some piece of equipment they throw in the air. Aren’t you suppose to catch it? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Diamante.

Black tarp with a white swirl splash.   Black unis.

Taut opening with some Martha Graham style movement blocks.  Now spreading the floor with rifles minus an ensemble carrying a member in cruciform over their shoulders.  A flag/rifle combo ripple involving everyone and ending in a huge toss and catch livens the crowd response.  Now some sabre work featured as a member in the back is howling in mournful agony.   Full ensemble rifle/sabre work here is great.  The death/dying/mourning themes on full display.  Gosh. this is powerful but...sad.  Wow. Caught a rifle toss and a leaping member together there toward the end. Another Martha Graham style block moving at the end before they go to the floor.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Terri Schehr said:

I’m here.  Thanks for explaining the spoken word group.  I wasn’t sure what that was about.  I usually just watch to see Pride of Cincinnati because my father in law started the drum corps that he became the guard.  

Yeah, it confused me as well.  Looking around on the net found me the Gunercia theme.  Once I found that, it made the connection.  As there's all sorts of surrealist calls and such.  Wish I could have heard the narrative.

Just now, KVG_DC said:

Yeah, it confused me as well.  Looking around on the net found me the Gunercia theme.  Once I found that, it made the connection.  As there's all sorts of surrealist calls and such.  Wish I could have heard the narrative.

The Spanish civil war, did you think? 

2 minutes ago, Jim Schehr said:

I’m watching WGI Independent World Championships. I’m confused as to why people scream every time someone catches some piece of equipment they throw in the air. Aren’t you suppose to catch it? 

Heh, yes. They are.  It does seem there's a fair amount of 'screamers' for the big tosses though.  It makes me recall watching mid to late 80s DCI shows and wondering why people just start hollering names out mid show.  

• Haha 1

Just now, Terri Schehr said:

The Spanish civil war, did you think? 

Oh certainly.  But what exactly is being said.  Is it a word poem or what?  It's a show I wouldn't mind looking up again and seeing now that i know the theme.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KVG_DC said:

Heh, yes. They are.  It does seem there's a fair amount of 'screamers' for the big tosses though.  It makes me recall watching mid to late 80s DCI shows and wondering why people just start hollering names out mid show.  

Crazy times.