The future of the Cadets

Would you allow yourself, your kids, or your friends to march with the Cadets after the recent events that occurred?  

180 members have voted

1. 1. Would you allow yourself, your kids, or your friends to march with the Cadets after the recent events that occurred?

• Yes
    • No

1 hour ago, fireshane1 said:

Poor Magic of Orlando, 1997. They starved...we ended up feeding them after shows more than once...

I marched Magic 1999 and we were fed by Cadets more than once as well...chuck wagon was reported as "stolen" somewhere after Pittsfield, MA.  It was more of the driver just snapping than being stolen...good times.  Scouts also fed us a couple times in the south...how we even finished tour nevermind finishing a semi-respectable 14th was a minor miracle.  

• Sad 2

BITD, SCV was also known as one as well. They had that innovative for the day Amana-designed field kitchen starting circa 1980-1982. I knew guys from one corps who would go there in that era and basically do the Oliver Twist, they told me the Moms there really understood what was going on, maybe deliberately over-cooked and made extra stuff because they knew some people would be incoming. It was one of the reasons I never thought of joining that corps. Even as a kid, my thoughts were, why pay five times the dues I was paying when I know our buses ran (even with the occasional crash) and we had opportunities for 3 decent meals a day (Mickey D's and Stadium food...)?

3 minutes ago, BigW said:

BITD, SCV was also known as one as well. They had that innovative for the day Amana-designed field kitchen starting circa 1980-1982. I knew guys from one corps who would go there in that era and basically do the Oliver Twist, they told me the Moms there really understood what was going on, maybe deliberately over-cooked and made extra stuff because they knew some people would be incoming. It was one of the reasons I never thought of joining that corps. Even as a kid, my thoughts were, why pay five times the dues I was paying when I know our buses ran (even with the occasional crash) and we had opportunities for 3 decent meals a day (Mickey D's and Stadium food...)?

Miss Amana existed starting in the mid 70's...

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, BDCorno said:

Miss Amana existed starting in the mid 70's...

Hey Dave -

Do you know the first year BD had a kitchen trailer?

I distinctly remember our 1976 food pattern being: Breakfast = milk/cereal,  Lunch = 1 PB&J, and 1 meat/cheese sandwich, Dinner = fast food.

Was it maybe 2nd tour, or not until '77?

I know we pushed buses at times, and the drivers, along with mechanically gifted members, repaired the buses.  I had never toured across country, so it seemed normal to me... Do whatever you have to do to get to the next performance kind of mindset. 

It took BD a couple more years to get their touring chops together.  

I was just a marching member, not in any way in the know regarding the inner workings, but I had the feeling Jerry Seawright funded the corps quite a bit from his own resources.

• Like 2

On ‎4‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 10:02 PM, Sideways said:

I marched Magic 1999 and we were fed by Cadets more than once as well...chuck wagon was reported as "stolen" somewhere after Pittsfield, MA.  It was more of the driver just snapping than being stolen...good times.  Scouts also fed us a couple times in the south...how we even finished tour nevermind finishing a semi-respectable 14th was a minor miracle.  

Did an interview with Jeff Fiedler back when DCM went away.  Cavies assisted feeding Magic in early 2000's (sorry, can't remember which year) and helped them create a tour bible and some other necessities while on the road.  The Cavs were shocked at how ad-hoc the Magic folks seemed to be running their administrative operation.

Mike

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

Star was famous for feeding other corps

So is SCV.

• Like 1

On 4/27/2018 at 6:04 AM, 2000Cadet said:

I can't speak on what has been going on in recent Cadets times, but I can say that my first season marching there, although it was very tough for me, I feel that we still ate relatively well. Sleep however, was a different story. And I think they made a lot of changes to that in the 2000 season. We got more floor time, and although we rehearsed quite a bit, the staff did much better in 2000 than in 1999 with allowing us to rest more, take more water breaks, and provide a more positive attitude toward shows. I also think that the addition of Gino in 2000 helped to change more of the attitude and the approach. We still worked hard, but Gino had a more laid-back approach to rehearsing, and it worked for us. BD's style is much different apparently and I don't knock them for it. They were just not the corps that I liked and that's ok.

Different strokes for different folks. I marched Cadets because that was the corps I felt was more of my style, not to mention I loved their shows a hell of a lot more than I loved any other corps' shows.

Interesting. You've said in the past that 99 was a lousy year. I'm glad you elaborated. Hope all is well.

4 minutes ago, mfrontz said:

Interesting. You've said in the past that 99 was a lousy year. I'm glad you elaborated. Hope all is well.

It was the year where I almost ended my drum corps career.