The future of the Cadets

Would you allow yourself, your kids, or your friends to march with the Cadets after the recent events that occurred?  

180 members have voted

1. 1. Would you allow yourself, your kids, or your friends to march with the Cadets after the recent events that occurred?

• Yes
    • No

one thing is for sure...Hop if officially hands down the biggest pariah in the activity's history, and people still #### on the kids because of him

2 hours ago, cowtown said:

That’s part of the culture that needs to change

Are you saying people need to stop supporting the competitive success of The Cadets?  Why should it be taboo to speculate/hope for The Cadets to be Top 5 this year?  It is possible to have a culture of success AND safety at the same time.  It is possible to focus on BOTH things, together.

2 hours ago, dbc03 said:

What? This doesn't even make any sense as a response to George's post. What specifically about the culture do you feel should change?

It’s putting the success of the Cadets above all else

The alleged victims did it, some members and alumni are doing it and some of their fans are doing it. Look at everyone getting huffy and throwing shade at me here and for what? Having a sense of decency? Understating its just band and people are more important? For not wanting to be associated with a corps whose Director has been accused of drugging and raping people?  For acknowledging that the Kingdom on a Hill was built upon a rotten culture to promote, enable and protect that heinous Director and his rapes?

The Cadet culture has always been extreme in its aggressive loyalty and attacking others to defend itself.  Sure, other corps have flashes of it but not nearly to the extent of the Cadets. They earned the name the Borg. And the Borg Culture is part of the problem. That has got to change. The culture was built by Hoppy, why keep it after he goes? Everything must change

In the face of it, marching and placement seem inconsequential. It seems vulgar to even be concerned about placement. I don’t think this years’ members are heroes for not 'defecting' from the House of Hoppy and its litany of crimes. I’m honestly not sure what I think of them as its still rather fluid.

So go ahead and attack me, say I’m basis and indulging in schadenfreude.  Say I always hated the Cadets and dig up some of my comments from 2008 about their show on DCP and post them as proof. Push the members to achieve top 5 placements to prove that everything is OK, just  keep on Borging you crazy things

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, cowtown said:

The alleged victims did it, some members and alumni are doing it and some of their fans are doing it. Look at everyone getting huffy and throwing shade at me here and for what? Having a sense of decency? Understating its just band and people are more important? For not wanting to be associated with a corps whose Director has been accused of drugging and raping people?  For acknowledging that the Kingdom on a Hill was built upon a rotten culture to promote, enable and protect that heinous Director and his rapes?

The Cadet culture has always been extreme in its aggressive loyalty and attacking others to defend itself.  Sure, other corps have flashes of it but not nearly to the extent of the Cadets. They earned the name the Borg. And the Borg Culture is part of the problem. That has got to change. The culture was built by Hoppy, why keep it after he goes? Everything must change

In the face of it, marching and placement seem inconsequential. It seems vulgar to even be concerned about placement. I don’t think this years’ members are heroes for not 'defecting' from the House of Hoppy and its litany of crimes. I’m honestly not sure what I think of them as its still rather fluid.

So go ahead and attack me, say I’m basis and indulging in schadenfreude.  Say I always hated the Cadets and dig up some of my comments from 2008 about their show on DCP and post them as proof. Push the members to achieve top 5 placements to prove that everything is OK, just  keep on Borging you crazy things

First of all, EVERYONE is not putting the success of the Cadets above all else.

Secondly, you don't sound like you know ANYTHING about the Cadet culture.  "Extreme aggressive loyalty and attacking others to defend itself" is NOT it.

Thirdly, why can we not focus on BOTH the safety AND the success of the corps at the same time?  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Read the question and would rather hear what Cadets (and other other corps they might be interested in) are doing to make sure this does not happen. The past is one thing but any potential member should be concerned about the future as that is when they will be involved 

One thing that should ease concerned people's minds is that RAINN is sending progress reports back to DCI every 2 weeks or less  in regards to how they're handling this issue as one of the conditions of their probation. RAINN certainly won't tolerate any backsliding or lack of progress.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, cowtown said:

and a WHOLE lotta Cadets hated Hopkins and didnt approve of him and his methods.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Tommeee said:

First of all, EVERYONE is not putting the success of the Cadets above all else.

Secondly, you don't sound like you know ANYTHING about the Cadet culture.  "Extreme aggressive loyalty and attacking others to defend itself" is NOT it.

Thirdly, why can we not focus on BOTH the safety AND the success of the corps at the same time?  

Why so angry?

It’s generally understood that ALL CAPS on a chat board is yelling, an act of aggression. Listing it in numerical fashion would only suggest more of the same. It’s just an opinion, so what if I have a different view?

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

18 minutes ago, cowtown said:

...to promote, enable and protect that heinous Director and his rapes?

Who exactly protected the director and rapes?  The members at the time?  As far as we can tell, no one is alleging that any of them knew other than the victims.  Other staff?  Perhaps, but you should be specific.  The board?  From all of the accusations that have been made to date, it was all before their time.  The victims?  I don't think so.  While we hope that victims will come forward quickly, it is their right to wait until they feel it is their time to tell the story.  The current members?  Of course not.

Unless you are prepared to name names and be specific, the responsibility for all this lies with one person who has exited the scene.

5 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

and a WHOLE lotta Cadets hated Hopkins and didnt approve of him and his methods.

True and a whole lot did approve, support and even defended him until a few weeks ago claiming that the rumors of rape were an internet smear campaign by some internet trolls out to get the Cadets. We must never forget

He bore a culture took on a life of its own, manifesting in different aspects that may be equally disgraceful as an extension of that culture. After Lenin we had Stalin