The future of the Cadets

Would you allow yourself, your kids, or your friends to march with the Cadets after the recent events that occurred?  

180 members have voted

1. 1. Would you allow yourself, your kids, or your friends to march with the Cadets after the recent events that occurred?

• Yes
    • No

6 hours ago, cavies79 said:

I hope that with George no longer associated with the organization, that the kids are treated better.  When I heard, two seasons ago, that they weren't even allowed to shower before finals, I felt sorry for the members.  Less sleep, no shower, less food does not make you a better corps.  Treat the kids better.

My son marched Cadets two seasons ago, and has no clue what you are talking about as to not being allowed to shower before finals.   Please don't pass along unfounded rumours.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, cowtown said:

Seriously? I mean like really?

And the rest of it, I don’t think you even understood my point.

But I did call it, described exactly what I’d get even though some want to say I’m wrong while giving it to me. You proved my point.

Anyway, ignore at your own peril as there are many that are going to be far less sympathetic then I. The brand is tainted.

Funny /sad all these people trying to define the Cadets, saying that’s what Cadets are, Cadets are hard-working and they’ll fight for every tenth, that’s why I marched Cadets are in fact describing a Cadets culture.

So we do acknowledge a Cadets Culture now?

Interesting 

"Interesting" to me is how you misrepresent what people say, I made note of the 'fight for every tenth' about the Cadets....but I did not limit it to them...I noted that it is something ALL corps do. My entire statement on that topic is this:

"That is very true. However, the members and staff will be fighting for every tenth all season long to do the very best that they can. I think that is part of what being a Cadet (or Scout...or Vanguard or Mandarin or Crusader or.....) is all about. The people who choose to participate in drum corps do so because they have a high degree of passion and love for what they do."

So before you choose to post partial quotes and misrepresent what people say, please take the time to read the entire context.

• Thanks 3

9 hours ago, cowtown said:

I do not think that that Cadets have a rape culture but I do think the culture Cadets fostered over the past 30 years was pretty toxic and allowed many things to continue for far too long. That culture may have been created by 1 person, Hoppy, but it’s a culture shared by many and I don’t think getting rid of Hoppy and the board means it’s a quick fix. More so when I see the borg here still being all borg, still looks like toxic to me. Close ranks, circle the wagons, top 5, no member defections, the kids are heroes for marching with a corps that’s imploding due to rape accusation

So I hate the troops, I’m anti-cadets and I love Kevin Spacey and Harvey Weinstein movies

you people are embarrassing yourself

serious question:

who here has said it's going to be a quick fix? Please, point that post out to us all, because I have yet to see anyone say that. And no the corps isn't imploding. It's hanging tight in tough times, and with many smart decision going forward by people that plan as well as build a better organization with better policies, it can be a model for all to follow. But that aint gonna happen overnight, and no one has suggested that except you seeming to think people believe that.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Icer said:

I see your point.  The incident you describe, upon further reflection, is what I would classify as boorish rather than dangerous - even if it occurred now.  I don't think one comment like that would be a career-ender, but might put someone in some mandatory sensitivity training.

However, a lewd comment is a far cry from sexual assault, which is what the women in the Inquirer article are alleging.  There is no time in my life (and I'm old enough for that to mean something) where assault was "just part of what happened".  And anyone who knew that assault was taking place - other than the victims - and did not say anything all this time, was wrong, and there is simply no excuse.  Someone should be asking the longtime denizens of DCI, some of the decades-long staff members (who might now have 617 area codes), and others how all this happened right under their noses.  Instead people have gone after Sean King, whose tenure at YEA barely overlaps the latest of the 35+ year string of accusations, over one conversation with zero documentation.  Or the former YEA Board whose involvement with the organization is far more recent even than Sean.  And frankly, while I applaud The Cadets trying to become leaders of DCI on this issue, the fact that none of the allegations were from the last several years suggests that perhaps there was just one bad actor who was left over from the old days, and the structure that existed up to the end of last year - 7th place results aside - was not one that was permissive of staff preying on corps members.   

agreed, but it seems that in reading the victims stories....they were mostly away from corps activities. What one does in a hotel or private residence isn't going to be seen by staff or other employees.

• Thanks 2

16 hours ago, cowtown said:

I do not think that that Cadets have a rape culture but I do think the culture Cadets fostered over the past 30 years was pretty toxic and allowed many things to continue for far too long. That culture may have been created by 1 person, Hoppy, but it’s a culture shared by many and I don’t think getting rid of Hoppy and the board means it’s a quick fix. More so when I see the borg here still being all borg, still looks like toxic to me. Close ranks, circle the wagons, top 5, no member defections, the kids are heroes for marching with a corps that’s imploding due to rape accusation

So I hate the troops, I’m anti-cadets and I love Kevin Spacey and Harvey Weinstein movies

you people are embarrassing yourself

You are right to be concerned.  However, you are wrong in your characterizations.

I see only one poster trying to quash concerns, and only two throwing "top 5" out there, while many others who self-identify as "Cadet Borg" are refraining from those behaviors and instead openly discussing the issues at hand.  If I had a nickel for each time one of them said it will not be a quick fix...

If you are sincerely concerned that corps culture (as opposed to ex-BOD culture) is toxic in some way that needs to change, stay on point and be careful not to overreach.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, George Dixon said:

Thanks for the response. I disagree with the last sentence completely however, it applies much more to a couple other corps organizations in comparison to Cadets. 

Well, then those corps need to be exposed as well! You’re right, George. There are examples of similar behavior elsewhere, and I’m not supporting those groups either. The activity cannot tolerate the systematic abuse of its employees and members anymore. I understand the mods are restricting unsubstantiated rumors in other organizations, but we need to encourage and support those who need to speak up loudly and often. Root it out!

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, wallace said:

Well, then those corps need to be exposed as well! You’re right, George. There are examples of similar behavior elsewhere, and I’m not supporting those groups either. The activity cannot tolerate the systematic abuse of its employees and members anymore. I understand the mods are restricting unsubstantiated rumors in other organizations, but we need to encourage and support those who need to speak up loudly and often. Root it out!

Yup. Unfortunately many happened over the past ten years or so but little scrutiny and notice 

30 years of a culture doesn’t end because they fired the leader.

Cadets were known as the hardest working corps. Some thought it was abusive while others hyped on it and lost their minds over a laundry day near finals.

Some are still hyping and losing their minds over a laundry day

everything was cool until 7th place

Just now, cowtown said:

30 years of a culture doesn’t end because they fired the leader.

Cadets were known as the hardest working corps. Some thought it was abusive while others hyped on it and lost their minds over a laundry day near finals.

Some are still hyping and losing their minds over a laundry day

everything was cool until 7th place

The corps working hard is in no way related to GH raping people.

• Thanks 1