The future of the Cadets

Would you allow yourself, your kids, or your friends to march with the Cadets after the recent events that occurred?  

180 members have voted

1. 1. Would you allow yourself, your kids, or your friends to march with the Cadets after the recent events that occurred?

• Yes
    • No

I  remain hopeful that the 11 alleged victims of sexual abuse will have a fabulous tomorrow, with thousands of more  fabulous tomorrows after tomorrow. But, I suppose we'll just have to wait and see what the future holds for these Cadets.

Edited by BRASSO

5 hours ago, cowtown said:

Another that doesn’t get it

He was always a monster    

I don’t blame the people that have heard these rumors for 20 years as they were only rumors, what could they do? but many gave him a pass on other issues and now, some are finally piling on the other issues when they didn’t before,  it’s rather insincere, while others are still stuck so I feel those same issue will continue because it’s part of the culture and that culture is on full display here and it's gross

Over the past 15 years on DCP I have been accused of being anti-every corps but the guff I and others get when we cross the borg, it's rather special 

Borg was earned years ago and yes, I think it’s part of the problem, part of the culture and a borg will never get that because it’s part of being the borg which is a shame because it's just marching band, right? 

Actually i get it far more than you will ever understand, or take the time to actually bother to understand. you can check here and RAMD....there has never been a day where I have supported George Hopkins. I have always felt he was slime. Trust me, when my corps was dying, and someone reached out to him for a simple answer to a question, he immediately tried to angle it to get invited to come and "guide us through the rough times".....aka take over, like he did to Sunrisers, which led them to several years of inactivity. I can name names of kids he played his mental games on. I know former employees he treated like absolute dog ####.and I am far from a borg, as i've had dozens of battles on here with them.

what I didn't know was that he was a rapist. at least that we have heard so far, he hasn't done anything to underage women since the early 80's. Wouldn't be surprised now if he did, but we don't have confirmed proof of that. But yet, even if some days kids skipped showers, or missed a meal, thats not abuse. Bad leadership? Sure as hell is, and IMO, ground for termination. But the word abuse in how the kids were treated day to day on tour is way over reaching, even for you. because no offense, I know of worse stories in terms of food, sleep etc from other corps you kiss their ##### on here.

but befre you over reach, or assign labels to people, know a little more before you type. you'll look less foolish and your message may be better received.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, cowtown said:

First I’m anti-corps, then it’s you were cut, followed by that corps must have beat your corps pretty badly and you must have been rejected by one our member you had a crush on to you’re just a troll, I’m putting you on ignore

That’s the easy way, it’s also wrong, do better, you’re a Cadet.

The culture that was set up allowed Hoppy to get away with his alleged rapes for a long time but that same attitude, culture also allowed for a whole heck of a lot of other shady things that got a pass. It all needs to go. I was sad to read the women didn’t come forward for years because they didn’t want to hurt the corps, more sad to read they tried to make a deal with Hoppy to bury it  before they went public because they didn't want to hurt the corps and angry to read that Hoppy used similar langue against others about not hurting the corps to ignore, burry other issues. Hoppy created this culture but it was enforced by those that bought into the culture, including  fans on this board. perhaps protecting the corps and their placement shouldn't be the main concern right now

raping a woman in a hotel or a private residence is absolutely criminal. However, with the actual corps itself, it does not create a culture of abuse.An organization cant patrol the directors home at night, or a hotel. Do I wish these women had come forward sooner? Yes, I am sure we all do. But it wasn't a culture. it was one person abusing females.To call it a culture is an insult to the thousands of kids, possibly hundreds of staff and volunteers of with the corps that had no idea he was a rapist. A$$hole? Miserable boss? yes. rapist no.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, cowtown said:

Another that doesn’t get it

He was always a monster    

I don’t blame the people that have heard these rumors for 20 years as they were only rumors, what could they do? but many gave him a pass on other issues and now, some are finally piling on the other issues when they didn’t before,  it’s rather insincere, while others are still stuck so I feel those same issue will continue because it’s part of the culture and that culture is on full display here and it's gross

Over the past 15 years on DCP I have been accused of being anti-every corps but the guff I and others get when we cross the borg, it's rather special 

Borg was earned years ago and yes, I think it’s part of the problem, part of the culture and a borg will never get that because it’s part of being the borg which is a shame because it's just marching band, right? 

12 hours ago, cowtown said:

First I’m anti-corps, then it’s you were cut, followed by that corps must have beat your corps pretty badly and you must have been rejected by one our member you had a crush on to you’re just a troll, I’m putting you on ignore

That’s the easy way, it’s also wrong, do better, you’re a Cadet.

The culture that was set up allowed Hoppy to get away with his alleged rapes for a long time but that same attitude, culture also allowed for a whole heck of a lot of other shady things that got a pass. It all needs to go. I was sad to read the women didn’t come forward for years because they didn’t want to hurt the corps, more sad to read they tried to make a deal with Hoppy to bury it  before they went public because they didn't want to hurt the corps and angry to read that Hoppy used similar langue against others about not hurting the corps to ignore, burry other issues. Hoppy created this culture but it was enforced by those that bought into the culture, including  fans on this board. perhaps protecting the corps and their placement shouldn't be the main concern right now

Like before, I believe I understand your concerns, but still think you are overreaching.

However, some of the responses...

- "cut by Cadets"
- categoric denial
- "troll"

... demonstrate there is still a small, but vocal, minority who give credence to the cowtown culture concern.  Not enough to change my mind, but enough to fuel his contentions.

36 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

- "cut by Cadets"
- categoric denial
- "troll"

... demonstrate there is still a small, but vocal, minority who give credence to the cowtown culture concern.  Not enough to change my mind, but enough to fuel his contentions.

I completely disagree with this assertion. Cowtown has been posting over and over using language that is absolutely intended to get a rise out of Cadet alums. Like bear-bating, IMO. He is using vitriolic language to inflame the passions of those who have marched with the Cadets, and then accuses them of being "Borg" and other connotations when they fight back to defend their own personal history.

He is writing that the Cadet culture and history enabled Hopkins to do what he did, a ludicrous assertion IMO. Many Cadet alums, part of the culture and history, actually have despised Hopkins for years and years.  I can't think of one alum who would condone the awful things Hopkins did to those poor women in secret. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

Like before, I believe I understand your concerns, but still think you are overreaching.

- "cut by Cadets"
- categoric denial
- "troll"

Agree. The rape accusations were not known.   I think we all agree on that. But what Was known was the atmosphere of intimidation, mental/emotional abuse heaped on employees by GH basically forever. Note I use the word atmosphere, not culture. Anyway, I do not remember seeing much if any discussion on here calling out GH for that boorish inexcusable behavior.   Almost as though we can't say anything negative that might drive away some of the talent. What I did read was a lot of - well, they knew what they were getting themselves into when they took the job. Victim blaming. So yes, in that regard, I do see the point. I don't see any introspection about that either. 

Edited by HockeyDad

58 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

But what Was known was the atmosphere of intimidation, mental/emotional abuse heaped on employees by GH basically forever. Note I use the word atmosphere, not culture. Anyway, I do not remember seeing much if any discussion on here calling out GH for that boorish inexcusable behavior.

I think you missed it because there have been threads about GH's mental/emotional abuse of employees several times. They were the reason I stopped giving to YEA. It is also one of the reasons that a bunch of alumni stopped financially supporting the corps.

Edited by dbc03
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, dbc03 said:

Probably not since DCP lets trolls keep on trollin'.

Okay ebo.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, cixelsyd said:

- "cut by Cadets"
- categoric denial
- "troll"

1 hour ago, MikeD said:

I completely disagree with this assertion. Cowtown has been posting over and over using language that is absolutely intended to get a rise out of Cadet alums. Like bear-bating, IMO. He is using vitriolic language to inflame the passions of those who have marched with the Cadets, and then accuses them of being "Borg" and other connotations when they fight back to defend their own personal history.

He is writing that the Cadet culture and history enabled Hopkins to do what he did, a ludicrous assertion IMO. Many Cadet alums, part of the culture and history, actually have despised Hopkins for years and years.  I can't think of one alum who would condone the awful things Hopkins did to those poor women in secret. 

Your comparison of Cadet alumni behavior to that of a wild animal is doing them, and yourself, a disservice.

Whether or not cowtown is merely "baiting", no one has to fall for the bait.  Every time someone does, it will only add to his case, as you point out.  You can respond to the substance of his posts without getting personal... or you can choose not to respond if you see no substance in his posts.

And no, it is not a ludicrous assertion to suggest that Hopkins might have found some aspect of corps culture he could manipulate to his advantage.  Of course, the larger point is that the steps being taken (removal of Hopkins, a new BOD to provide proper oversight, development of robust harassment/whistleblower policies, DCI guidance in the process) should prevent any similar manipulations from recurring.