The future of the Cadets

Would you allow yourself, your kids, or your friends to march with the Cadets after the recent events that occurred?  

180 members have voted

1. 1. Would you allow yourself, your kids, or your friends to march with the Cadets after the recent events that occurred?

• Yes
    • No

10 hours ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

Cadets have cleaned house. I look at this sort of like air travel after 9/11. I have always thought the safest day to fly was the day the airlines resumed flights after that fateful day. 

Your point is well taken. I was on the first flight out of San Diego on the 14th traveling to Atlanta. I remember three things:

• The captain went down the aisle and eyeballed every single passenger on the plane before we pushed back from the gate.
  • When they passed out the plastic silverware for the meal all the knives had been removed.
  • As a group we were ready, willing, and eager to defend the plane if anyone tried anything.

The Cadets will be just fine and, dare I say, should be able to grow out of mess that was GH quite nicely.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jim Schehr said:

Not true. Ohio State had to vacate wins. PSU had games that were vacated and were reinstated later. Ohio State allowed players to transfer but none did. I would suggest you not spew your lack of ignorance on the subject  

You are very  misinformed. I hope you know more about drum corps especially the Cadets. 

Stop it. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jim Schehr said:

Not true. Ohio State had to vacate wins. PSU had games that were vacated and were reinstated later. Ohio State allowed players to transfer but none did. I would suggest you not spew your lack of ignorance on the subject  

You are very  misinformed. I hope you know more about drum corps especially the Cadets. 

Penn State got a lot back because in the long run, it was a SCHOOL issue, not a FOOTBALL issue.

• Thanks 2

No

Wouldn’t want to be associated with the mess, maybe in a few years but not now. Also with potential lawsuits and the economic implications, will they make it through their tour?

They may have cut the head off the snake but there was an entire culture built at Cadets that sustained and allowed for this situation and from the outside, I have yet to see a shift in that culture or even an acceptance that the culture needs to be changed. I’d like to see a bit more contrition and less Cadets top 5, Cadets and their placement are more important than people, members that chose not to be a part of it are defectors, don’t change their show because placement will suffer. It’s rather off putting.

It’s a long difficult road and I’m not sure plugging holes with folks from that same culture is the way forward

Edited by cowtown
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, cowtown said:

No

Wouldn’t want to be associated with the mess, maybe in a few years but not now. Also with potential lawsuits and the economic implications, will they make it through their tour?

They may have cut the head off the snake but there was an entire culture built at Cadets that sustained and allowed for this situation and from the outside, I have yet to see a shift in that culture or even an acceptance that the culture needs to be changed. I’d like to see a bit more contrition and less Cadets top 5, Cadets and their placement are more important than people, members that chose not to be a part of it are defectors, don’t change their show because placement will suffer. It’s rather off putting.

It’s a long difficult road and I’m not sure plugging holes with folks from that same culture is the way forward

What is the "culture" that you want to see changed that isn't being changed?

3 hours ago, KeithHall said:

This may only be the beginning!  I hope there is no more accusations in this activity BUT I believe it's been going on and, unfortunately, the climate in our country is such that more people will stand up and tell their story. If so it could be the downfall of drum corps. I hope that this was the only blemish and we can move on and let the law deal with GH. Pray that there are no more!

No matter what happens, I doubt that "this will be the end of Drum Corps". I wish I had a buck for every time I heard that this or that over the decades will " be the end of Drum Corps", I could buy Bermuda. There will still be a need for summer competition in the Marching Arts, performers who want to perform and enhance/ learn new skills when schools close, and instructors to want to help teach them when the schools close for the summer, and fans who want to watch their development,/ shows in the summer, and sponsors to sell them instruments, unis,  vehicles, & stuff, and schools /organizations that want to use the summer shows as their fund raisers.  After the purge of any remaining bad apples, the economic laws of Supply and Demand should still prevail, imo. If the need is still there, the supply to fill that demand should likewise continue to fill the need/ demand.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Bone-Tone Lord said:

I do know people who left my corps to go there, but why you'd pick the Cadets as the corps you want to make finals with over literally anyone else is beyond me.

And why someone would chastise another person's choice of where they choose to march without knowing that person or having any first-hand experience of what marching with that corps is truly like is beyond me. To each their own, I guess. All I know is that nearly every single one of the Cadets alums who I know (and there are quite many) are stand-up people with tremendous work ethic and strength of character and have their Cadets experience mainly to thank for helping them get to where they are today. And I realize that people are free to like or dislike whatever corps they want for their own reasons, that comes with the territory. But I would also like to think that underneath all that, there is a fundamental respect for anyone who chooses to march in drum corps, period. No matter where they choose to march. Sadly, I find that fundamental respect lacking in what you've said here.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

I think a better question is:  Would you allow yourself, your kids, or your friends to march with the Cadets march in a drum corps after the recent events that occurred?

I think the GH thing is the canary in the coalmine that signals a systemic issue in drum corps as a whole.  It just so happened he was the director of the Cadets.  Just one person's opinion.

• Like 4