The future of the Cadets

Would you allow yourself, your kids, or your friends to march with the Cadets after the recent events that occurred?  

180 members have voted

1. 1. Would you allow yourself, your kids, or your friends to march with the Cadets after the recent events that occurred?

• Yes
    • No

My love for the Cadets has nothing to do with one or a few people. This season, I will root for them just as I have in the past. My desire for high achievement and success on the field doesn't diminish the importance of establishing a safe environment within the corps and YEA. After all, this is a competition, and the Cadets will compete. We can walk and chew gum at the same time. 

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, Icer said:

Who exactly protected the director and rapes?  The members at the time?  As far as we can tell, no one is alleging that any of them knew other than the victims.  Other staff?  Perhaps, but you should be specific.  The board?  From all of the accusations that have been made to date, it was all before their time.  The victims?  I don't think so.  While we hope that victims will come forward quickly, it is their right to wait until they feel it is their time to tell the story.  The current members?  Of course not.

Unless you are prepared to name names and be specific, the responsibility for all this lies with one person who has exited the scene.

The victims were caught up in that culture. They offered to sit on the story if Hoppy left, to protect the corps above all

That culture wasn't limited to just them, they just paid the biggest price. 

3 minutes ago, cowtown said:

The victims were caught up in that culture. They offered to sit on the story if Hoppy left, to protect the corps above all

That culture wasn't limited to just them, they just paid the biggest price. 

That's not what happened.  They offered to sit on the story if GH was canned.  Read the press releases.  You can't fire someone based on anonymous accusations, and silence is exactly what the accused depends on to maintain the facade.  Whoever advised the victims to do this does not understand how people behave, and did them a terrible disservice.  They neither got rid of GH nor protected the corps.  The only result of that strategy was to get dozens of Cadet alumni who could not believe the rumors to put themselves out on a limb and end up looking like loyal idiots, to make the board look unprepared idiots, and to put the current members in limbo at a time when it was too late to explore other options.  So in effect, the person advising the victims somehow managed to do the one thing to make a truly awful situation even worse.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, cowtown said:

They offered to sit on the story if Hoppy left, to protect the corps above all

Do you know that this is true?  I believe that the previous board mentioned in their statement that the lawyer for the victims (not the actual victims) offered to keep the story silent if GH was suspended immediately, back in January.  However, just because the previous board said it happened, doesn't mean it did happen.  Personally, I don't trust the previous board.  I think there was zero chance that this story would have been kept silent any longer, and it's good that it isn't a secret now.  Yeah, people are MAD that it happened, justifiably so.  I don't think there's anything WRONG with using capital letters (yelling) when discussing this.

Anyway, this thread is about "The future of the Cadets".  They have a new board of directors, a new director, lots of outside oversight and investigation going on, and a really positive instructional staff.  I think the culture they are building now is a very good one.

• Like 1

I think the future depends on what, if any, financial shenanigans occurred;  and what might be necessary to right any wrongs.  

GH ran YEA/Cadets like a third-world dictatorship.  He was the only one who had all the information (which is a key feature of this management system).  To paraphrase Donald Rumsfield, There is stuff we know.  And there is also stuff we know we don't know.  But there is also stuff we don't know we don't know - and  this could be the most important category.  

48 minutes ago, Icer said:

That's not what happened.  They offered to sit on the story if GH was canned.  Read the press releases.  You can't fire someone based on anonymous accusations, and silence is exactly what the accused depends on to maintain the facade.  Whoever advised the victims to do this does not understand how people behave, and did them a terrible disservice.  They neither got rid of GH nor protected the corps.  The only result of that strategy was to get dozens of Cadet alumni who could not believe the rumors to put themselves out on a limb and end up looking like loyal idiots, to make the board look unprepared idiots, and to put the current members in limbo at a time when it was too late to explore other options.  So in effect, the person advising the victims somehow managed to do the one thing to make a truly awful situation even worse.

I used left for canned but I think we both meant fired

And I agree with the rest but would ascribe those various flavors of idiots you described as a product and a representation of the culture

Hoppy did depend upon silence to cover his alleged crimes but much of what he used to stifle his victims and continue the alleged rapes was part of the broader culture he created and many seem stuck in it still. Perhaps, it will take time to shed some of the old ways and I should be more patient but the Cadets Culture as displayed on this board and in the wild has always been extreme and as I said, I fail to see much change again, maybe I should be more patient but worrying about placement considering, does strike me as vulgar

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Tommeee said:

Do you know that this is true?  I believe that the previous board mentioned in their statement that the lawyer for the victims (not the actual victims) offered to keep the story silent if GH was suspended immediately, back in January.  However, just because the previous board said it happened, doesn't mean it did happen.  Personally, I don't trust the previous board. 

Right and if we play that game it could get ugly really quickly