ROC gonna miss DCA

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

i think it'll help. more PA and MD will be attending is my hunch to offset any loss from upstate NY

The locals have expressed serious interest. Williamsport's an odd duck in a good way in this regard. They have a long history of valuing instrumental music in their schools, a very, very good town band, a lot of adults playing, etc. Several locals told me when I was in various places they planned on coming to championship weekend.

IIRC, the Cabs have connections there, uncertain if they remain. I know they had a few of their HS Band members marching there very recently.

5 hours ago, hairbear said:

Not intended as a slight, but more along the lines of humor:  When Williamsport was announced as the 2018 DCA championship city, I went online to have a look at what amenities might be available. I looked at attractions. Kinda slim in that department. Bar/lounge in the hotel I'll be staying at? Yep. That's good. I don't drink, but I still want someplace to hang out and have a Coke. Culinary establishments? Under Seafood, here's what is listed:  "Long John Silvers" and "Red Lobster".  :) Now I get it; Williamsport Pa. is fairly landlocked. There won't be seagulls or crab cakes. I'll have to make do with one of the two options available. (You'll find me at Red Lobster) I did see one "pub grub" establishment that looks promising and I'll give it a shot, too. The stadium looks great for the corps. If we don't have to push pit instruments up a mountainside, that's a big plus in my book. The seating is a tad problematic for us older folks. If somebody were to set up a barbecue venue at the stadium, I'll bet they'll do plenty of business. (that's a hint) We're all in this together, so lets give Williamsport a chance. :)

Just remember hair, willies port is on West branch of the Susquehanna so watch out that any fish is not local caught. For me W-port is the “big city” (relative speaking) on way to see family at Lock Haven and Renova. So if I start twitching on the way up I’ll know why *ugh* Last time in downtown almost ran over a traffic cop who decided to step in front to stop traffic at Lycoming College. Not a good move as in dark uniform at night and no street light. Thank goodness for white gloves. “What’s that.. oh ####”

Edited by JimF-LowBari

24 minutes ago, BigW said:

The locals have expressed serious interest. Williamsport's an odd duck in a good way in this regard. They have a long history of valuing instrumental music in their schools, a very, very good town band, a lot of adults playing, etc. Several locals told me when I was in various places they planned on coming to championship weekend.

IIRC, the Cabs have connections there, uncertain if they remain. I know they had a few of their HS Band members marching there very recently.

White Sabers too

• Like 1

5 hours ago, hairbear said:

I did see one "pub grub" establishment that looks promising and I'll give it a shot, too.

I liked Moon and Raven, the Bullfrog Brewery had some neat craft beers that I sampled and enjoyed. I'll try and do more research. The ice cream people that set up in the stadium make GREAT ice cream and shakes. They're usually swamped. Their glass take home Shake mug also holds a 22 oz beer. :guinesssmilie:

• Thanks 1