36 minutes ago, Kamarag said:

It hasn't been like you describe in years. Percussion and guard are easy. Brass is *very* challenging.

Interesting that in some organizations I'm familiar with, veteran brass players were "replaced" by younger members, who were better players. Seems that, unfortunately MBI didn't have that luxury. Wonder what the difference is.

Edited by CorpsBuff
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, Kamarag said:

It hasn't been like you describe in years. Percussion and guard are easy. Brass is *very* challenging.

Wow. Is it because of the increase of the Indoor scene? Didn't think it could get that bad, John.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

But wern't the DCA schedule challenge the same as it was when they were winning DCA/ medaling in DCA ? Whats changed in the " DCA schedule "  with these schools since then ( year or so ago ) ?

My guess is organizations they were recruiting from/getting people from were less amenable. Could be different groups than they were getting them from, new Directors, combine that with a lot of the long timer's needing a break/retiring...

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, CorpsBuff said:

Interesting that in some organizations I'm familiar with, veteran brass players were "replaced" by younger members, who were better players. Seems that, unfortunately MBI didn't have that luxury. Wonder what the difference is.

Good to see you around!

I can tell you the MBI vets were pretty strong musicians- delving back into the early 90's, they knew how to play, and play very well- it was more programming/design holding them back. Once they got the design straightened out, the rest is history. My guess is a lot of it with the vets was..... just getting older. I might be playing as well as I ever have right now, marching? Hah! :satisfied:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

you have 4 corps in a pretty tight radius...Govies, MBI, River City and Chops.

No different from the DCA's core geographic area, in that respect: Bucs, Cabs, C2, Surf, Fusion, Raiders, Bush, Sky and now add Encorps and Highland. And Sun and Hurcs not far away at all.

Not baggin on MBI at all on the difficulty getting brass players, just saying it's not easy anywhere.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

55 minutes ago, Jim Schehr said:

With many current members being college age and younger, and most if not all involved in marching band, it has become extremely difficult to recruit potential members to commit to Labor Day weekend. Band directors don’t want their members missing opening high school and college football games. Not to mention parents who say no you’re not missing school for drum corps. It’s a challenge recruiting for an All-Age DCA schedule. 

True.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, grenadasmoothie said:

No different from the DCA's core geographic area, in that respect: Bucs, Cabs, C2, Surf, Fusion, Raiders, Bush, Sky and now add Encorps and Highland. And Sun and Hurcs not far away at all.

Not baggin on MBI at all on the difficulty getting brass players, just saying it's not easy anywhere.

us-population-density.png

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, grenadasmoothie said:

more people live in the region you mention that in MN. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BRASSO said:

Wonder what happened with recruiting ? The same recruiting challenges were seemingly present there for them even in the  recent years they won DCA and/ or medaled. So why the inability to continue to bring in quality marchers now over just a season or a couple of seasons ago ? Sad to lose yet another fine DCA Corps from DCA summer competition.

While it's been a few years since I've really paid attention outside of chatting with acquaintances or going to a couple shows, from what I've seen on social media and corps staff announcements it seems like most of the design and instructional staff from their 2008-2016 runs are no longer with the organization, or are now teaching with the other two DCA Minnesota corps (Chops and Govenaires). A lot of the core membership from that time period went elsewhere or stopped marching as well. The corps looked very young last year and the corps has traditionally been supported by the early 20's-mid 30's aged members who are now gone. Been a revolving door on staff for brass and visual the last couple years as well. 

• Thanks 1

With admittedly no numbers to back it up, it just feels like DCA The Circuit (as opposed to the individual orgs) is on a long decline.  So many of the big groups are now gone, and it's getting more and more difficult for corps to field.   :41_pensive:

Mike

• Thanks 1