Recruitment Problems, Financial Stress, and Poor Leadership, Oh My!

How will you support drum corps?  

67 members have voted

1. 1. How will you support drum corps?

• Do Volunteer Work for Corps
    • Make a Financial Donation
    • Recommend a Friend to a Drum Corps

On 4/23/2018 at 11:16 PM, Dchristian125 said:

Kilties - ( DCA Class A ) - inactive as of 4/23/18

Inactive for the past two years from competition. Location, location, location - chances of returning to competition without total reorganization - doubtful. 

Edited by Jim Schehr

1 hour ago, Jim Schehr said:

Inactive for the past two years from competition. Location, location, location - chances of returning to competition without total reorganization - doubtful. 

location less the issue than direction

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

location less the issue than direction

You must have never been to Racine 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Jim Schehr said:

You must have never been to Racine 

no. But I've seen the corps

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

no. But I've seen the corps

I'd argue it's location first, and then other groups with overlapping schedules and limited time. Racine, WI is a very affordable city with a median household income of like $50K. You have 4 groups in the area that are technically recruiting from some of the same base that all are active during the same time:

• Lighthouse Brigade of Racine - MACBDA (HS Students) - Season ends mid-July
  • Lighthouse Brigade Junior of Racine - Exhibition (Jr High Students) - Season ends mid-July
  • Racine Scouts - DCI (21 Age Limit) - Season ends early August
  • Racine Kilties - DCA (No Age Limit) - Season ends labor day

The issue I see is that it's pretty easy for kids to participate and grow in Lighthouse Brigade, and they've won a few titles along with having staff from Phantom Regiment, Pioneer, Cavaliers and other corps. From an external perspective; it'd be great to see if there is a chance for synergy where kids "age out" of each program and maybe move on to the next... as in after you been with Lighthouse Brigade and graduate; then go to Scouts; then to Kilties. 

The other thing is Shadow which is about 2 hours away (plus the rest of the MACBDA units), and has been really strong since they moved from MACBDA to DCI Open Class. I don't know about the Scouts or Kilties when it comes to marketing and product, but for an area that has limited resources; multiple options; and large variance in cost, it's a difficult situation. There used to be lots of cooperation back in the 1990s with overlapping performances etc from all the groups but don't know the dynamics or levels of cooperation today or if the decline in Racine economy, and loss of population further excaberates the situation.

2 minutes ago, lcarlton said:

I'd argue it's location first, and then other groups with overlapping schedules and limited time. Racine, WI is a very affordable city with a median household income of like $50K. You have 4 groups in the area that are technically recruiting from some of the same base that all are active during the same time:

• Lighthouse Brigade of Racine - MACBDA (HS Students) - Season ends mid-July
  • Lighthouse Brigade Junior of Racine - Exhibition (Jr High Students) - Season ends mid-July
  • Racine Scouts - DCI (21 Age Limit) - Season ends early August
  • Racine Kilties - DCA (No Age Limit) - Season ends labor day

The issue I see is that it's pretty easy for kids to participate and grow in Lighthouse Brigade, and they've won a few titles along with having staff from Phantom Regiment, Pioneer, Cavaliers and other corps. From an external perspective; it'd be great to see if there is a chance for synergy where kids "age out" of each program and maybe move on to the next... as in after you been with Lighthouse Brigade and graduate; then go to Scouts; then to Kilties. 

The other thing is Shadow which is about 2 hours away (plus the rest of the MACBDA units), and has been really strong since they moved from MACBDA to DCI Open Class. I don't know about the Scouts or Kilties when it comes to marketing and product, but for an area that has limited resources; multiple options; and large variance in cost, it's a difficult situation. There used to be lots of cooperation back in the 1990s with overlapping performances etc from all the groups but don't know the dynamics or levels of cooperation today or if the decline in Racine economy, and loss of population further excaberates the situation.

Thanks for validating my argument for me. The kiltie Senior has been around since 1994. After 24 seasons one would think they would have figured it all out by now. 

3 hours ago, Jim Schehr said:

Thanks for validating my argument for me. The kiltie Senior has been around since 1994. After 24 seasons one would think they would have figured it all out by now. 

I hate to go there, but I'll go. 24 seasons and three Finalist appearances at DCA including one Class A appearance. I note that the other groups Lighthouse Brigade et al have some marked successes to claim for themselves, and that makes things a lot better for recruiting purposes. With Cincinnati Tradition winning 2 A titles, they've retained and obviously recruited to move to Open. Same with White Sabres, same with Fusion Core.

Unfortunately, one can only make the claims for so long that winning and placement isn't everything, there are more important values at play with the organization. You have to have SOME demonstrable success somehow in terms of making finals, placement, whatever. If that sounds harsh.... that's part of the reality of things and part of societal makeup now.

• Thanks 2

7 hours ago, Jim Schehr said:

What's the latest with the Scouts?