Recruitment Problems, Financial Stress, and Poor Leadership, Oh My!

How will you support drum corps?  

67 members have voted

1. 1. How will you support drum corps?

• Do Volunteer Work for Corps
    • Make a Financial Donation
    • Recommend a Friend to a Drum Corps

1 hour ago, JimF-LowBari said:

What's the latest with the Scouts?

No idea

Just now, Jim Schehr said:

No idea

Thanks seems Racine is another former great for corps area that became a desert (see Rochester).

It's always sad to see a new organization fold, and it's always hard to return. 

Fortunately, DCI has had some success with Soundsport. This is a GREAT vehicle for corps to return to the fold, or for new groups to throw their hat into the ring.

Money is ALWAYS  major issue for any non-profit.  If you find the right people to lead from the top, almost any organization can make it through hard times... but it's obviously not always easy, or entirely doable.

I don't believe the mumbling saying that recruitment is low.  BUT, I do see corps turning down plenty of students without the talent level the organization is looking for.  The money comes from success, which you can't have without talent, but you can't get the talent without success... see that catch-22?

Some corps fold, and new one join.  It's sad, but reality.  I'm not overly worried about the activities future.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Thanks seems Racine is another former great for corps area that became a desert (see Rochester).

Wow, yeah. Empire, Crusaders, Greece Cadets, Mighty Liberators, If you wanted to go more regional, the Squires, Black Knights, Barons of Steuben, Hamburg Kingsmen... a big list, and I'm missing at least 2 methinks.

5 hours ago, goodmello said:

Fortunately, DCI has had some success with Soundsport. This is a GREAT vehicle for corps to return to the fold, or for new groups to throw their hat into the ring.

It's a good thing for certain, grassroots based, not as crazy to spend $$ on or commit to, kind of like Autocrossing or running a track day car in the motorsport end of things. Even if those teams don't leave that end of things, it provides a lot of people a positive and fun outlet for their musicianship and creativity. I think it's desperately needed.

1 hour ago, BigW said:

Wow, yeah. Empire, Crusaders, Greece Cadets, Mighty Liberators, If you wanted to go more regional, the Squires, Black Knights, Barons of Steuben, Hamburg Kingsmen... a big list, and I'm missing at least 2 methinks.

Patriots :sad:

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, grenadasmoothie said:

Patriots :sad:

White Sabers 

• Thanks 1