DCA Championship Idea-old discussion rehashed

47 minutes ago, Kamarag said:

The worst decision in DCA history was when someone decided minicorps needed scores.

There were scores and placements from Day One with the mini-corps show....but it remained pretty low key from a competitive standpoint for several years.

However, that "competition pressure"... for lack of a better term... eventually, maybe inevitably, took over.

IMO, it's still a cool event, but not the no-holds-barred fun fest it used to be.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Lol memories of Thunderbirds around 2007 and Gary M getting a contra knocked out of hands as part of the show. Later that night told him to stay away from my horns lol. About same year in same hotel as Derby City mini who placed very low. Next morning our group told them to bag the placing as we enjoyed the show. Bunch of very young people and that seemed to make their morning.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

2 hours ago, BigW said:

Doesn't SoundSport give ratings only? Uncertain.

yep, Soundsport scoring is like 'Who's Line Is It Anyway' where the points are made up and don't matter anyway.  Ratings only, and they have no bearing on the rating you may have gotten at another Soundsport show earlier in the year. Completely arbitrary to the day of the show!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The DCA mini-corps thing... maybe it's time to think about no scores... maybe just fan-favorite voting, at the most, and opening it up to SoundSport rules... meaning any instruments, groups of various sizes and combinations (brass/winds, percussion, whatever) , and so forth.

I don't know if that is the answer to helping revive/grow the mini-corps event... whatever the "answer" to anything related to drum corps these days is, or isn't, I have no idea.  LOL.  Just a thought.

• Like 1

Or have an exhibition/no score division for people who don’t want to compete or “now for something totally different”. Dollar to Monty Python. 

Weird timing department: picked up dvd of Jersey Boys at Goodwill last night. Reminded me of SineWave mini some years back who did all Frankie Vallie and 4 Seasons music. Really different and became one of our favorites.

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

The DCA mini-corps thing... maybe it's time to think about no scores... maybe just fan-favorite voting, at the most, and opening it up to SoundSport rules... meaning any instruments, groups of various sizes and combinations (brass/winds, percussion, whatever) , and so forth.

I don't know if that is the answer to helping revive/grow the mini-corps event... whatever the "answer" to anything related to drum corps these days is, or isn't, I have no idea.  LOL.  Just a thought.

at first there were some size abuses...like the year Shore showed up with what 50 something members...and then of course crunchy frog. It seems when Star showed up, the competition part got really heated

Edited by Jeff Ream

I compare SoundSport and Minis to autocross-  extremely grassroots, almost anyone can give it a shot. They even loaned helmets at some events.

I did it ultra low budget to learn and enjoy the experience. Helmet, magnetic numbers, paid the entrance fees at events I went to.

Now... and this is in Stock class... If I had wanted to win... Well, I needed a set of shaved R-compound tires mounted on another set of wheels. Also... a SuperTrapp muffler, a six-point harness, and adjustable shocks and struts. Possibly remove the A/C and maybe the swaybar or change it.

Chuck at CRE Racing Enterprises also offered to breathe on my CRX-Si and make it a national contender in C Stock. Of course, after he did this, I'd have to trailer it to the events, the car wasn't really streetable any more.  :satisfied:

What I envision for what I'd like to do, coming in first place isn't even a goal. Play exceptionally well, be exciting and entertaining for those who care to listen, do some outreach in the area, possibly clinics... If people want to go flat out for the win, let 'em knock themselves out. And.... I guess they have! I do think DCA needs to create more of these grassroots opportunities somehow. Especially if you want to see anyone older than 25 doing anything else besides being on a podium, the sidelines, or as part of the staff, or serving chow. I think that's the point that's being made here.

Look, if all I get is a silver star stuck on the forehead and a pat on the back, that's fine. Just do something.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

at first there were some size abuses...like the year Shore showed up with what 50 something members...and then of course crunchy frog. It seems when Star showed up, the competition part got really heated

Yeah- but hey, as I said if you want to knock yourself out, go ahead. If you pack up your toys because you just don't have the resources to beat Star United, that's your prerogative, and I think that's missing the point of the activity perhaps.

In regards to John's earlier post, I can verify from Ground Zero in 1992, what evolved into the Minis was very much intended to be scored. It was, however intended to be fun and very informal, but also fair as well as professional. I don't think it was DCA's intent for people to run as wild as some did. Again... you wanna go that route, have fun. I don't desire to chase that plane.