Shoes to wear during the season?

Reportedly, all the current Couchmen prefer flip flops over the more expensive sandals that are on the market.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 4/28/2018 at 12:07 PM, BRASSO said:

Reportedly, all the current Couchmen prefer flip flops over the more expensive sandals that are on the market.

Ahh of course, how could I have overlooked such an obvious choice. If the pros use it, then its gotta be right  :winky:

& thank you everyone who's suggested shoes! I'm leaning towards either ASICS gel-sonomas or nike dsx flyknits now :biggrin:

I have pronated feet, and marched four years, back when the physical demand isn't what it is today.  Even with good shoes, I ended up having a lot of problems by the end of my third year and almost couldn't march for finals.  I was on a 8-ibuprofen a day habit.

My recommendation is to get orthotic insoles as soon as you can.  True customs from the doctor are uber pricey.  Good Feet is OK for a couple hundred.  The ones hanging on the shelf with the odor eaters won't get it done. 

However, I've found that the Dr. Scholl's custom fit, where you go to a Kiosk in a pharmacy and it measures your feet, work out really well for about $40.  Buy two pairs, because they wear out in about 6 months - and daily marching will shorten that time.

https://www.drscholls.com/products/pain-relief/custom-fit-orthotic-inserts/

https://www.drscholls.com/custom-fit-orthotics-kiosk-locator/

If you're willing to spend extra money on shoes (and if there were ever a reason, drum corps is it), go to a specialty running shoe store (there are different ones all over the country). You'll know you're in the right place because they will inspect your gait by making you walk, jog and run while watching how you move, they'll look at the shape of your foot, and they will probably place you on a special machine that gauges the amount of pressure you place in certain areas of your stance. Then they'll pair you with the brand most likely to meet your needs.

I used to run quite often and I was developing shin splints. Being fitted by a store like this made ALL the difference, and I won't buy another cheap pair again as long as I'm remaining highly active. It costs money (usually just over $100 per pair or so depending on what you get), but it's money well spent to keep you from injury.

And yes, don't wait to break them in. Get them and start using them often enough that you won't be hurting when you're using them all the time.