Copyright Protection new Bill passes The House

Fees Corps pay about to go up ?  At first take, it would appear so. It bears watching anyway as this new Bill  passes the House of Representatives with unanimous bipartisan support earlier today. Now the Bill heads over to the Senate.  Thoughts ?

https://musicrow.com/2018/04/music-modernization-act-passes-u-s-house-with-unanimous-vote/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BRASSO said:

Fees Corps pay about to go up ?  At first take, it would appear so. It bears watching anyway as this new Bill  passes the House of Representatives with unanimous bipartisan support earlier today. Now the Bill heads over to the Senate.  Thoughts ?

https://musicrow.com/2018/04/music-modernization-act-passes-u-s-house-with-unanimous-vote/

This part is definitely going to make a big change...assuming this passes senate who seem to not pass much legislation these days...

“I’ve seen too many of my colleagues give up writing songs professionally because of unfairly low streaming royalties and other changes in the era of digital music delivery. The MMA gives us tools to move toward better compensation from streaming companies, while giving songwriters and music publishers control of digital mechanical music licensing.”

• Like 3

A question on impact to the band side.  How does this impact an arranger that buys an arrangement and then needs to adapt that arrangement due to band voicing?  This can be a gray area for some and I was wondering if other directors have had negative issues in this situation.

Edited by Old Corps Guy

This has been an issue for years in the music marketing industry. Since the advent of Napster et al/downloaded music, the recording industry lost its insane revenue stream. They've been looking for more money sources ever since- and the copyright fees in this activity are part of that effect.

It's also why a lot of artists tour a lot more now. It's the only way they can make a buck.

Uncertain how it will affect the activity. My guess is, not a lot. Even though they may get more money out of places like YouTube, Pandora et al, I don't see them giving up the money they already have flowing via intellectual property fees.

I'm  all for Artist, Musician, Composer, etc Copywrite protections. It is afterall, their hard work, sweat, creativity that produced the work(s ) in the 1st place. So these people( mostly adults) should get the full measure of the protection and control and income from that  work. On the other hand, when we are talking about youthful school groups utilizing their works, it seems more can be done here to work out some sort of exemptions, and/ or considerations for these types of educational groups. I know that some accommodations are being made at the moment for these scholastic groups when they don't charge fees for public performances themselves. But, while biased, I think even further accommodations can be made for scholastic and non profit oriented youth groups... non professionals... to utilize these works without having to pay such exorbitant fees. This is all probably passed down in cost sharing to youthful members too who march Corps/ Bands that are required to pay such fees under these enhanced Copywrite Protection Laws..

Edited by BRASSO

8 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

This is all probably passed down in cost sharing to youthful members too who march Corps/ Bands that are required to pay such fees under these enhanced Copywrite Protection Laws..

Undoubtedly. How else can yah pay for it?

• Like 1

At what point does it just become more cost effective for corps to commission their own music?

10 minutes ago, ouooga said:

At what point does it just become more cost effective for corps to commission their own music?

Corps do in fact do more of their own music compositions in their shows these days now, as I'm sure you know. They commissionable " sell " these works to the public, ie the fans.  Through DVD's/ Videos sales, and what not.( with DCI, the conduit for most of those commissionable sales. )

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 2

Deleted, posted a link that did not work  I guess the source is copyright protected 

Edited by totaleefree