Copyright Protection new Bill passes The House

9 hours ago, skevinp said:

Copyright doesn't prevent you from using other people's works.  It requires you to obtain permission from the author (or from someone who obtained the rights from the author) for works that are not yet in the public domain.  So even for any such works in which a copyright would have been in force, the Bard could have obtained permission from anyone willing to give it, in exchange for a piece of the action, for being made more famous by virtue of a known brand and/or better presentation, and so forth.  So my guess is most of his work would have been OK, and any that was not might have been replaced by something as good or better, especially with the incentives others would have had for sharing. 

And some of those people would have said no, or would have asked a price Shakespeare couldn't afford, and bye bye, Hamlet and Macbeth.

The greatest dramatic works in the English language would not exist if their author lived in a time like ours.

Copyright, like a good number of other inventions, has been a net negative for the world.

On 4/27/2018 at 8:29 AM, ouooga said:

At what point does it just become more cost effective for corps to commission their own music?

It probably already is, but I'd rather walk on my lips than listen to nearly every original music show I've ever heard outside of a couple of Saucedo's books. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, N.E. Brigand said:

And some of those people would have said no, or would have asked a price Shakespeare couldn't afford, and bye bye, Hamlet and Macbeth.

The greatest dramatic works in the English language would not exist if their author lived in a time like ours.

Copyright, like a good number of other inventions, has been a net negative for the world.

The story Hamlet was based on was centuries old, and I believe would be in the public domain if our copyright laws existed at the time.  

Macbeth was based in part on historical chronicals, whose "plots" seem unlikely to have received much copyright protection under our current copyright laws had they existed at the time.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, skevinp said:

Macbeth was based in part on historical chronicals, whose "plots" seem unlikely to have received much copyright protection under our current copyright laws had they existed at the time.  

Heck... even Kurosawa used Macbeth as the basis for Throne of Blood, and King Lear for Ran. Both worth seeing if you like crazy samurai drama.

24 minutes ago, BigW said:

Heck... even Kurosawa used Macbeth as the basis for Throne of Blood, and King Lear for Ran. Both worth seeing if you like crazy samurai drama.

Shakespeare based most of his works on material published in the previous 50 years. Akira Kurosawa's films came 300 years after Shakespeare. As it happens, Hamlet also inspired him: The Bad Sleep Well is a modern story of corporate crime that borrows from Shakespeare's play about the vengeful Dane. It's not my favorite Kurosawa (those would be Yojimbo, Sanjuro, High and Low, Seven Samurai, Stray Dog, and Sanshuro Sugato), but here is a brilliant analysis of one scene, well worth three minutes of anyone's time:

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Lance said:

It probably already is, but I'd rather walk on my lips than listen to nearly every original music show I've ever heard outside of a couple of Saucedo's books. 

Hmm... I'd argue that Robert W. Smiths stuff was very, very good for Suncoast- Both Florida Suites were great stuff for their era (I prefer the first one more), as well as Twelve Seconds to the Moon for Orlando Magic.

13 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Shakespeare based most of his works on material published in the previous 50 years. Akira Kurosawa's films came 300 years after Shakespeare. As it happens, Hamlet also inspired him: The Bad Sleep Well is a modern story of corporate crime that borrows from Shakespeare's play about the vengeful Dane. It's not my favorite Kurosawa (those would be Yojimbo, Sanjuro, High and Low, Seven Samurai, Stray Dog, and Sanshuro Sugato), but here is a brilliant analysis of one scene, well worth three minutes of anyone's time:

That is brilliant!!!  Brings back good memories of my film class.   LOL

8 hours ago, BigW said:

Hmm... I'd argue that Robert W. Smiths stuff was very, very good for Suncoast- Both Florida Suites were great stuff for their era (I prefer the first one more), as well as Twelve Seconds to the Moon for Orlando Magic.

I really didn't like them.

But I'm not a big fan of Smith's work, so that makes sense. 

But it's just my opinion. I know those were popular shows.