Copyright Protection new Bill passes The House

On 4/28/2018 at 1:51 AM, BigW said:

It does explain why Bands and Corps are playing more original compositions for sure. It's easier to negotiate with the composer/arranger the fees and all the intellectual property issues. And possibly a lot cheaper and possibly more profitable for the composer. I know of one arranger who did one or two for a band who told me he barely broke even but did them because he liked the music, and part of his deal was to pay the fees for the band.

There are also some composers like Don Ellis who stipulated that if his compositions were used for educational purposes that the fees were zero. Some also are extremely reasonable and helpful. I remember reading the composer of the music from Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon was more than this way for a DCPer's band. I guess one has to stumble on those kinds of situations or do serious queries and research.

I have a document saved from David Arkenstone stating that my band has lifetime FREE permission to arrange, record, and perform any of his compositions. 

Cool dude.

• Like 1

Just now, Lead said:

I have a document saved from David Arkenstone stating that my band has lifetime FREE permission to arrange, record, and perform any of his compositions. 

Cool dude.

I had to look David up- WOW! (In more ways than one!) There yah go.  Some of it may be developing contacts and relationships with various individuals.

34 minutes ago, Lead said:

Cool dude.

As is appropriate for someone with his last name, one of his albums is Music Inspired by Middle-earth. (And according to something I read online, one of his children is named Valinor.)

On 4/29/2018 at 12:38 PM, Lance said:

It probably already is, but I'd rather walk on my lips than listen to nearly every original music show I've ever heard outside of a couple of Saucedo's books. 

To be fair, Saucedo books are exactly what make me think this is the way to go. But give it a season or two with some experienced composers, and they'll have the drum corps design down just fine. I can't imagine that the inspiration from existing pieces has as much influence on the end product as we give it credit. And it is inspiration, no one is playing pieces verbatim, hell, no one is even playing a solid piece for more than 30 seconds. The talented arrangers already designing these corps shows have all the skills necessary to pull off original work, but it's just too different from the norm so most believe it can't be done.

On 4/29/2018 at 3:38 PM, Lance said:

It probably already is, but I'd rather walk on my lips than listen to nearly every original music show I've ever heard outside of a couple of Saucedo's books. 

Well, I would far rather hear drum corps performing original works than:

- sampling/synthesizing the works of others

- performing material that must be cut from the recordings due to licensing

On 4/28/2018 at 1:51 AM, BigW said:

I remember reading the composer of the music from Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon was more than this way for a DCPer's band. I guess one has to stumble on those kinds of situations or do serious queries and research.

That would be me.  :bored:    

Tan Dun only charged us $75 to use the music from that film. I was the arranger and an instructor for the band. 

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, BigW said:

I had to look David up- WOW! (In more ways than one!) There yah go.  Some of it may be developing contacts and relationships with various individuals.

Could be wrong here... but I seem to recall that Chuck Mangione was another artist who had no problem with bands/corps playing his stuff.

Met him one year at the Hershey DCI/DCA show... nice man.  And he certainly seemed to be enjoying the show.

5 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

Could be wrong here... but I seem to recall that Chuck Mangione was another artist who had no problem with bands/corps playing his stuff. Met him one year at the Hershey DCI/DCA show... nice man.  And he certainly seemed to be enjoying the show.

Someone will post the video(s) of his DCI Finals in the booth as guest commentator.

1 hour ago, Ghost said:

Someone will post the video(s) of his DCI Finals in the booth as guest commentator.

He's currently looking for a new MegloMart since the old one burnt down

• Like 1
  • Haha 2