Been a Long Time....

...since anyone has posted anything about drum corps!

Guess we are just "drum corped out!"

Probably just preoccupied.

Were any of you present at the first DCA Championships in Bridgeport in '65 to witness the retreat fiasco, when the plan was to have all participants play "Stars and Stripes"  as they marched en masse from the back sideline?

Of course, few of them had actually bothered to learn the piece, so there was lots of "improvising". The result was a kind of "Charles Ives meets Sousa at Thelonious Monk's House". Indescribable chaos. A drum corps Electric Kool Aid Acid moment.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, ironlips said:

Probably just preoccupied.

Were any of you present at the first DCA Championships in Bridgeport in '65 to witness the retreat fiasco, when the plan was to have all participants play "Stars and Stripes"  as they marched en masse from the back sideline?

Of course, few of them had actually bothered to learn the piece, so there was lots of "improvising". The result was a kind of "Charles Ives meets Sousa at Thelonious Monk's House". Indescribable chaos. A drum corps Electric Kool Aid Acid moment.

"DCA 1965"

YES!!!!!  I was there, sitting on the grass, on the "Fifty".  Place was absoultly sold out to the max,  fans were insane,  and the corps were great.

I was "up close and personal" to some INCREDIBLE senior soloists, who swaggered up to the mid field marker and blasted away.   One of the best nights of drum corps ever.    :guinesssmilie:

I don't remember the "Retreat" choas.  Was too busy  blabbing away to the corps people sitting all around me, reliving the show.

Great memories!!!!!!!!!      :thumbup:

Elphaba

65 DCA was held in Milford CT - Reading, Hurcs, Sky, I-men, Rebels and Rockets ... 66 & 67 were in Bpt. :-)

Ok, Andy, but for those of us from NYC, anything north of Yonkers was "Bridgeport".

I think you're just attempting to steer us away from what some of the Skyliners perpetrated on Sousa's music that evening. About half the lead sops tried to play the piccolo obbligato in Stars and Stripes, and that was after several helpings of "soup", I think.

Let's just say the resulting sound was something never before imagined on the field. It was positively psychedelic.

The "massed performance" thing was tried again at the 1996 DCA finals.

It also didn't end particularly well. :tongue:

Funny the word "Blasting" came up! I was just talking to a student about my junior high teacher yelling at me for marching drum corps. "It's just blasting!" and "It will ruin your lip!" When I hear old recordings of corps I think he was right about the first statement! Compare to the past 40 years, drum corps has really brought out the musicianship in the brass players

It is kind of interesting the first DCA championships was held the same day as the Canadian National Championships.  I wonder if the 6 Canadian senior corps were invited to attend first DCA Championships?

12 hours ago, ironlips said:

Were there not a couple of jr corps exhibitions at that first DCA Championship, or am I lust having a hazy '60s flashback?

"Juniors at DCA 65":

I don't remember any.  My corps didn't, and I don't think the PAL Cadets or St Raphael's did either (Quite a few of their people were sitting around me). .  If there was one, it MAY have been the Milford Police Cadets/Shoreliners, prior to the contest.  At any rate, because of the crush of spectators and the sell out of the bleachers  (Which resulted in a ton of people sitting along the sidelines, me being one of them), if there was one, I didn't see it.

Elphaba

Edited by elphaba01