YEA Board of Directors

Non profit boards vary. Some are advisory only, others juridical meaning they have decision making authority, others a combination of advisory and juridical which is probably the case with most drum corps. 

I am not sure I know of a case where a director either resigns or quits and then the board follows by resigning without pressure from a DA. Since the model of leadership at YEA imploded, people had to come to the rescue which happened. I don’t know how they were selected, but people have had to step in at least temporarily. ”Icer’s” thoughts on the matter do sound probable. Right now, priority number one includes safety measures and getting two corps on the field. Next would be temporarily making sure YEA’s other activities are up and running.  When things begin to settle in the fall, a committee should be formed to rewrite the bylaws or charter if need be so the organization can move forward. 

7 minutes ago, Icer said:

When I want to know something I find the people involved. This generally works whether it's a political figure, a public personality (assuming you can get through the gatekeeper), a private company executive, etc. For example, I know that the MM's are motivated and very upbeat because I ask them. If you want to know what happened or the history, the names of the people are not a secret - just find the articles.  Then locate them on LinkedIn and ask. Some may talk, some may refuse. Then you can decide for yourself whether what you are hearing sounds credible.  It takes a little effort, but I would rather hear it straight from the source than guess.  If you can't find them or don't have LinkedIn, PM me and I will show you where to look. 

Thanks for the offer but just wondering and have too much on my plate that is more important to make the effort. Only reading this to take breaks fromthe rest of the mess

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Icer said:

However, what almost certainly happened with YEA is that the old board affirmatively voted on enough new board members to form a quorum, and then resigned.  If there had been a fight it would have become known, and the absence of one suggests a cooperative transition.  A simple reach-out to any new board member should confirm this.

This is exactly the process that was used. In addition, the people who made up the 5 new board members were recruited because of different skill sets important to the organization moving forward: Non-profit Governance, HR and appropriate HR policies and oversight, Sponsorships, The scholastic community (USBANDS/Corps/Parents), and and understanding of corps management/alumni/historical connections. The five areas are represented by each one of the new board members. This group also received the blessing of DCI before being seated... not that DCI has any official capacity to provide approval but as the sanctioning body DCI plays an important role in how the organization moves forward. Having a board in place without DCI's support (such as the situation with the old board) would have seen the Cadets sidelined for the 2018 season. This is a temporary board as the put a proper governance structure in place and take the time to identify and vet longer term board members for the future (which this new board has the authority to do). I believe the new board  was focused on a 6 month transition.

• Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Icer said:

When I want to know something I find the people involved. This generally works whether it's a political figure, a public personality (assuming you can get through the gatekeeper), a private company executive, etc. For example, I know that the MM's are motivated and very upbeat because I ask them. If you want to know what happened or the history, the names of the people are not a secret - just find the articles.  Then locate them on LinkedIn and ask. Some may talk, some may refuse. Then you can decide for yourself whether what you are hearing sounds credible.  It takes a little effort, but I would rather hear it straight from the source than guess.  If you can't find them or don't have LinkedIn, PM me and I will show you where to look. 

10 yard penalty for being rational.

You'll find that is both a blessing and a curse here.  Welcome!

And well said, IMO.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, MusicManNJ said:

This is exactly the process that was used. In addition, the people who made up the 5 new board members were recruited because of different skill sets important to the organization moving forward: Non-profit Governance, HR and appropriate HR policies and oversight, Sponsorships, The scholastic community (USBANDS/Corps/Parents), and and understanding of corps management/alumni/historical connections. The five areas are represented by each one of the new board members. This group also received the blessing of DCI before being seated... not that DCI has any official capacity to provide approval but as the sanctioning body DCI plays an important role in how the organization moves forward. Having a board in place without DCI's support (such as the situation with the old board) would have seen the Cadets sidelined for the 2018 season. This is a temporary board as the put a proper governance structure in place and take the time to identify and vet longer term board members for the future (which this new board has the authority to do). I believe the new board  was focused on a 6 month transition.

Just want to make sure that you know this as a fact .

Presuming that is,I want to know where did the list of proposed BOD members come from .

I would also like to know is where it says anywhere this is a temporary board,including at the YEA Town Hall.

Again,as I posted before,YEA wants to restore trust in the organization.

If that's true,then post how the new BOD was selected.

I did send Mr. Rutherford an email.

If I get a response,I'll let you people know.

12 hours ago, rpbobcat said:

Presuming that is,I want to know where did the list of proposed BOD members come from .

This was explained in my original post above

I would also like to know is where it says anywhere this is a temporary board,including at the YEA Town Hall.

It is what Mr. Rutherford has been sharing with sponsors, DCI and others the organization is accountable to.

Certainly a very valuable use of his precious time right now trying to save the organization... answering your questions.

Edited by MusicManNJ
  • Like 1

Just want to make sure that you know this as a fact .

Again,as I posted before,YEA wants to restore trust in the organization.

If that's true,then post how the new BOD was selected.

If I get a response,I'll let you people know.

Eye roll 

judge them on their actions.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, MusicManNJ said:

Certainly a very valuable use of his precious time right now trying to save the organization... answering your questions.

Good point but too bad you buried it in snark....

4 hours ago, MusicManNJ said:

"g"is was explained in my original post above

It is what Mr. Rutherford has been sharing with sponsors, DCI and others the organization is accountable to.

First off, "the saving the organization" includes making sure that all Cadets supporters are comfortable with what has/is being done.

Mr Ruhterford's time is indeed "precious".

However ,he still took the time to email me,and answer all my questions.

That says something about the type of person he his,and his concern for the organization.

He also said that YEA would take my suggestion, and post on their website ,an explanation about the current BoD and exactly what they will 

be doing during their 6 month terms.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, rpbobcat said:

First off, "the saving the organization" includes making sure that all Cadets supporters are comfortable with what has/is being done.

Mr Ruhterford's time is indeed "precious".

However ,he still took the time to email me,and answer all my questions.

That says something about the type of person he his,and his concern for the organization.

He also said that YEA would take my suggestion, and post on their website ,an explanation about the current BoD and exactly what they will 

be doing during their 6 month terms.

Amazing what you can accomplish by simply asking somebody who promised openness and transparency to be more open and transparent about what's been going on. I'm glad he didn't take the flippant and frankly dismissive tone that MusicManNJ greeted your request with, or "rolled his eyes" like George Dixon did. Then again, based on everything I've gleaned from Mr. Rutherford on past experiences with him and from other sources, it didn't surprise me at all that he was more than happy to answer your questions. That's the kind of guy he is.

Well done to you and to Mr. Rutherford! :thumbup:

• Like 2