YEA Board of Directors

On 5/4/2018 at 3:29 PM, MusicManNJ said:

...the people who made up the 5 new board members were recruited because of different skill sets important to the organization moving forward: Non-profit Governance, HR and appropriate HR policies and oversight, Sponsorships, The scholastic community (USBANDS/Corps/Parents), and and understanding of corps management/alumni/historical connections. The five areas are represented by each one of the new board members. ...

This was comforting information to read.  I wish the new board and the corp the best.  I think the OP's question was a fundamental one, not trivial.  If the answer had been "They were handed a piece of paper from DCI with names of people they must appoint to new board or else" then that would not have been comforting.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, jkingqm said:

If the answer had been "They were handed a piece of paper from DCI with names of people they must appoint to new board or else" then that would not have been comforting.

I was thinking people who care about YEA getting together and asking for volunteers as few wanted to step into this crap storm. Kinda been there so glad it was done with a lot of thought. Edit: glad YEA had the chance to get people with the needed talents. Can just picture people not wanting to get involved for many reasons.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

1 hour ago, xandandl said:

While they still continue to be present to their families, manage and fulfill their usual daytime jobs, and keep their own sanity in the face of such a tragedy, I think Doug Rutherford and his rangers are doing a phenomenal job in such a compressed but oh so important time frame while under the microscope of media and many.

Yeah, they are. Visiting the camp at Red Land HS really impressed me. The drive to make things as right and as good as possible for everyone that's part of the organization really came across. I think the least of the problems will be the on field product- that seems to have everything tight and the attitude is professional, strong and positive.

From what I learned, there's just a lot of internal policies and organizational mechanisms that really weren't implemented in the way that they should have been, and that's where the toughest work will need to be done. I sensed people were very eager to tackle this. My guess is that it's going to empower everyone in a huge way, and that it will give everyone at YEA a real sense of pride, ownership, and skin in the game.

Edited by BigW
  • Like 2

Red Land??? Dang.... about right next door... drove by the sister school about 3 times this weekend including 10 minutes ago

Edited by JimF-LowBari

15 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

I was thinking people who care about YEA getting together and asking for volunteers as few wanted to step into this crap storm. Kinda been there so glad it was done with a lot of thought.

People have been showing up from many unexpected directions, Jim. I think everyone's been really energized about it. It seems to be from my perception a lot of folks feeling they can come home again and that they would feel welcome.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Red Land??? Dang.... about right next door

Yeah! Someone posted the invite from their website on one of the related threads. George Dixon I think put up the video of the Town Hall meeting on Sunday that they held. I visited Saturday. I think a couple of people have said on some of the recent threads the best way to find things out is to go look for  yourself, and I thought I should as well as to let them know people do care and have positive thoughts and wishes for the future of the Cadets, even if they didn't march there.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, BigW said:

People have been showing up from many unexpected directions, Jim. I think everyone's been really energized about it. It seems to be from my perception a lot of folks feeling they can come home again and that they would feel welcome.

And tremendous outpouring from the alumni. Many of whom have felt unwelcome over the years. The welcome mat being laid out has many alums ready, willing and able to help.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, MusicManNJ said:

And tremendous outpouring from the alumni. Many of whom have felt unwelcome over the years. The welcome mat being laid out has many alums ready, willing and able to help.

Wonderful. :inlove:

• Like 1

19 hours ago, jkingqm said:

This was comforting information to read.  I wish the new board and the corp the best.  I think the OP's question was a fundamental one, not trivial.  If the answer had been "They were handed a piece of paper from DCI with names of people they must appoint to new board or else" then that would not have been comforting.

Have to say, I don't think it was an inappropriate question at all.  I was also wondering how they were selected.  Glad that Mr. Rutherford was forthcoming, and that feedback so far is positive.  

Mike

• Like 3

On 5/5/2018 at 1:17 PM, MusicManNJ said:

It was, IMHO, a snark worthy response. Demanding to know every bit of minute detail is a waste of precious time. Just like all the self proclaimed experts coming out of the woodwork to tell YEA what they need to do. My favorite is one from someone who wanted the Cadets to fly them out from where he lived so he could speak to the corps about sexual abuse and also tell them about their important history... what for it... without ever being involved with the corps (no a member, staff, admin). All the crazies are coming out of the wood work. My point to rpbobcat was this is not the most important thing they have to address right now. Happy Mr. Rutherford responded (cause that is the type of guy he is). But is this really at the top of the list of things he needs to be dealing right now? Probably not. Just suggesting folks cut them some slack to focus on the important issues at hand and to George Dixon's point let their actions speak for themselves.

not important, however, a good PR move to do so. any and all transparency can only be good for the organization right now

• Like 2