YEA Board of Directors

I am continually amazed by how some of the people think who post here. For starters, in my experience most people who are not celebrities or highly visible public figures (and being on the board of a little charity in Allentown qualifies as neither) will either attempt to answer a brief, sincerely worded email, or if the volume of questions is high and the content similar, will attempt to post a public response that addresses the common thread.  What people will generally not answer is a nasty or accusatory email, or a novel. They will generally not answer emails that make demands either.

I have been involved in some fairly high publicity issues at the local level, and I have also noticed that when people ask a question and get an answer they are generally appreciative. When people state an opinion and the other person does not agree with them, they regard it as either unresponsive or a brush-off. 

I think both situations I have described reflect the dialog not only around this issue, but around The Cadets in general for the last couple of years, both in this forum and in similar venues. Not sure if other corps have the same level of discourse, but it's pretty disappointing because it could not be further from what the members on the field represent. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Icer said:

I am continually amazed by how some of the people think who post here. For starters, in my experience most people who are not celebrities or highly visible public figures (and being on the board of a little charity in Allentown qualifies as neither) will either attempt to answer a brief, sincerely worded email, or if the volume of questions is high and the content similar, will attempt to post a public response that addresses the common thread.  What people will generally not answer is a nasty or accusatory email, or a novel. They will generally not answer emails that make demands either.

I have been involved in some fairly high publicity issues at the local level, and I have also noticed that when people ask a question and get an answer they are generally appreciative. When people state an opinion and the other person does not agree with them, they regard it as either unresponsive or a brush-off. 

I think both situations I have described reflect the dialog not only around this issue, but around The Cadets in general for the last couple of years, both in this forum and in similar venues. Not sure if other corps have the same level of discourse, but it's pretty disappointing because it could not be further from what the members on the field represent. 

Yep and tone of voice and choice of words go a long way too. Had to make some hard choices while on council of a declining church. Got to learn who really wanted to find out what was really going on and who "knew" the answer without any information and just wanted  to argue you down to their point of view. Guess who got the full discussion and who didn't. 

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, JimF-LowBari said:

So asking a question is part of.  

You missed the entire point 

which is fine and typical

• Like 1

You gripe about people who have an agenda against YEA and direct your displeasure to someone who is asking what appears to be a legitimate question. Or is it everyone not connected with YEA should just shut up? 

Yeah I'm thinking the worst which is typical when someone gets an insult without explaination.

And honestly this vibe I'm getting about don't question the board just brings up too many Penn State memories. IMO it is NOT showing hate or an agenda to want to know what is going on. Especially if you care about the group or people involved.

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

And honestly this vibe I'm getting about don't question the board just brings up too many Penn State memories. IMO it is NOT showing hate or an agenda to want to know what is going on. Especially if you care about the group or people involved.

Again... missing the point. The questions for the Penn State board were directed at the board who had oversight during the problems. The questions here are for a new board who has been in place for 3 weeks trying to the save the organization and not responsible for the conditions they were left with. People are free to question whom ever you want. Is this really the type of question that need to be fielded now? The original question was answered in here in detail. The new group is clearly committed to transparency but it is also incumbent (in my opinion) on supporters and fans to not demand answers for every bit of minutia. They are trying to put humpty dumpty back together again and I for one am grateful to the five new board members who ran toward the fire when everyone else was going the other way. They have been legitimately seated based on the bylaws of the organization... let's focus on more important issues or better yet try to lend a helping hand or donate to the rebuilding.

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, MusicManNJ said:

Again... missing the point. The questions for the Penn State board were directed at the board who had oversight during the problems. The questions here are for a new board who has been in place for 3 weeks trying to the save the organization and not responsible for the conditions they were left with. People are free to question whom ever you want. Is this really the type of question that need to be fielded now? The original question was answered in here in detail. The new group is clearly committed to transparency but it is also incumbent (in my opinion) on supporters and fans to not demand answers for every bit of minutia. They are trying to put humpty dumpty back together again and I for one am grateful to the five new board members who ran toward the fire when everyone else was going the other way. They have been legitimately seated based on the bylaws of the organization... let's focus on more important issues or better yet try to lend a helping hand or donate to the rebuilding.

Actually sounds like you and george missed my point. Yes the question originally asked was answered. My point is the poster is catching flack because he dared to send an email to the BoD to find the answer. I did not see the op asking for questions about what happened before or every bit of minutia so why are you posting like he did ask these things? Difference of opinion I have no problems with but misstatements do not help prove your point. And I am only talking about the op and nobody else.

And to be clear the PSU comparison was comparing those thought the board should NEVER be questioned on anything. When I see people getting flack for asking YEA board questions the parallels are obvious. Or do you think the new YEA board should NEVER have to answer questions.

And still waiting to find out how asking a question is an "agenda". George only responded with an insult which I thought was beneath him... Now I know better than to respond to him.

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Actually sounds like you and george missed my point. Yes the question originally asked was answered. My point is the poster is catching flack because he dared to send an email to the BoD to find the answer. I did not see the op asking for questions about what happened before or every bit of minutia so why are you posting like he did ask these things? Difference of opinion I have no problems with but insults and misstatements do not help prove your point.

And to be clear the PSU comparison was comparing those thought the board should NEVER be questioned on anything. When I see people getting flack for asking YEA board questions the parallels are obvious. Or do you think the new YEA board should NEVER have to answer questions.

Jim

You and I typically disagree. And we do here as well

Asking questions of the new YEA! board is entirely appropriate. Starting a new discussion thread on social media to pose your question and long term (decades long) critics of the Cadets chiming in as "sincerely interested parties" is where it rubs people the wrong way. 

I also think the actual question is naive and silly - but hey, we live in a society of "there's no such thing as a bad question" type nonsense so there you go

It's time for us (outsiders) to closely watch/judge the new YEA! BOD by their actions and results. Not nitpick over process type questions.

Actions. Results.

In the end we all want the same thing - a verifiable, safe and positive environment for all marching members. This is a terrific activity when it is safe. 

Cadets also need our empathy, support and cheers right now. Donations & volunteer hours are also a plus!

George.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

You gripe about people who have an agenda against YEA and direct your displeasure to someone who is asking what appears to be a legitimate question. Or is it everyone not connected with YEA should just shut up? 

Yeah I'm thinking the worst which is typical when someone gets an insult without explaination.

I'm beginning to think that maybe cowtown has a point with his borg comments. I don't want it to be that way, but geeze, judging by some of the reactionary responses.... "Don't post that stuff on this thread, go to the other thread.."..  oh, the one that was locked three days ago?  That's where the discussion should be moved to?  We have an event that threatens the existence of the entire activity. But, shut up let's move on. To an outsider, that's what organizations in a world of trouble do. 

• Like 4

Thanks for the reply George as see your side clearly now and we might be closer that you think. I don't have a problem with posing a question here to find out about a corps as have done it myself. And have taken crap for it which explains the nerve it hit here. In my case I asked on DCP so I wouldn't be taking time from the corps.

Where we agree is the peanut gallery chiming in to b word which is stupid and useless to me. If the shots you and others have taken were directed at those posters only I would probably given you a like and left it at that.

Again thanks for the reply.

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

I'm beginning to think that maybe cowtown has a point with his borg comments. I don't want it to be that way, but geeze, judging by some of the reactionary responses.... "Don't post that stuff on this thread, go to the other thread.."..  oh, the one that was locked three days ago?  That's where the discussion should be moved to?  We have an event that threatens the existence of the entire activity. But, shut up let's move on. To an outsider, that's what organizations in a world of trouble do. 

Liked for last sentence...