YEA Board of Directors

32 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

I'm beginning to think that maybe cowtown has a point with his borg comments. I don't want it to be that way, but geeze, judging by some of the reactionary responses.... "Don't post that stuff on this thread, go to the other thread.."..  oh, the one that was locked three days ago?  That's where the discussion should be moved to?  We have an event that threatens the existence of the entire activity. But, shut up let's move on. To an outsider, that's what organizations in a world of trouble do. 

I win the bet. Certainly you couldn't let that correction go.

Since when is JohnZ a member of your "borg"???

"On 4/6/2018 at 5:45 AM, JohnZ said:

off topic conversation removed.

I know it will be difficult to separate one from the other, but conversation in this thread needs to be reserved for the production and members of the 2018 Cadets - they deserve a discussion of their own.

all conversation relating to the unfortunate breaking news will occur in the other more appropriate discussion thread.

any such posts here need to be reported to the moderating team.

thanks for your understanding and cooperation.

I think the staff and MMs will push harder and stand taller this year - it will be an epic year for them.  JMO"

Edited by xandandl
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, JimF-LowBari said:

And to be clear the PSU comparison was comparing those thought the board should NEVER be questioned on anything. When I see people getting flack for asking YEA board questions the parallels are obvious. Or do you think the new YEA board should NEVER have to answer questions.

I did not say the board should NEVER be questioned on anything. To the contrary. They should. And I think the PSU comparison belongs with the old board... not the new one. It is the fact that the old board never answered any questions that led them to where they are today. My point remains... is this the best use of their time given everything going on in the organization? There is a lot they are juggling. Is it not the question being asked... it is the timing. Should we all start asking all DCI boards about every detail regarding every decision they make? Programing, staff choice, who selected the board, etc. And do we ask the questions in throws of any one of them fighting for survival? Now, you and I may not agree on this... and that is OK. Just my point of view.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, MusicManNJ said:

I did not say the board should NEVER be questioned on anything. To the contrary. They should. And I think the PSU comparison belongs with the old board... not the new one. It is the fact that the old board never answered any questions that led them to where they are today. My point remains... is this the best use of their time given everything going on in the organization? There is a lot they are juggling. Is it not the question being asked... it is the timing. Should we all start asking all DCI boards about every detail regarding every decision they make? Programing, staff choice, who selected the board, etc. And do we ask the questions in throws of any one of them fighting for survival? Now, you and I may not agree on this... and that is OK. Just my point of view.

First sentence clears up a lot and yes best use of time is a concern. But ONLY question on this thread is how the board was chosen and nothing else in the OP so why throw in things like programming which was not asked.

And missed point on PSU comparison my point is “supporters” said that the board (new/old) should never be asked questions. And that was heard for both boards. FYI for everyone the PSU board did not all leave, some did, some votes out when time came (think there are staggered elections) and some older ones still there. 

4 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

First sentence clears up a lot and yes best use of time is a concern. But ONLY question on this thread is how the board was chosen and nothing else in the OP so why throw in things like programming which was not asked.

And missed point on PSU comparison my point is “supporters” said that the board (new/old) should never be asked questions. And that was heard for both boards. FYI for everyone the PSU board did not all leave, some did, some votes out when time came (think there are staggered elections) and some older ones still there. 

Missing here is a key element with the PSU problem with its Trustees, which... has it's parallels.

The President of PSU at that time had pretty much conditioned the Trustees to rubber stamp whatever he did and not to question him about anything. Just do what  was desired. The concept that a BoD/BoT provides somewhat of a check and an amount of oversight to the boss had been undermined.

And yeah, this kind of thing has happened in this activity before with one person getting too much control over a corps and abusing their authority and powers, no one daring to ask any questions or being able to do anything about the problem until it was too late (I'll take PM's on that gladly if anyone has questions). That's why I don't mind people asking questions anymore. I figure someone at YEA has a job fielding these E-Mails /questions for management and crafting appropriate responses, no matter how crazy. Let them do their job. :satisfied:

40 minutes ago, BigW said:

I figure someone at YEA has a job fielding these E-Mails /questions for management and crafting appropriate responses, no matter how crazy. Let them do their job. :satisfied:

Not yet... they have a firm working on the larger communications issues. Not fielding every fan request.  I completely agree that the prior YEA board was rubber stamps (as yo describe at PSU) greater transparency and accountability is important.  My issues is.. if the issue is not relevant to the priorities at hadn't... maybe it can wait while they get the organization put together and all the people in the proper seats. You assume they have an internal comms person. They do not. Nor have they announced directors for Cadets or C2 or even a CEO for YEA. Give them a chance to get the key pieces in place and then start asking more of the interesting but not mission critical questions at the time. Just one persons opinion.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MusicManNJ said:

Not yet... they have a firm working on the larger communications issues. Not fielding every fan request.  I completely agree that the prior YEA board was rubber stamps (as yo describe at PSU) greater transparency and accountability is important.  My issues is.. if the issue is not relevant to the priorities at hadn't... maybe it can wait while they get the organization put together and all the people in the proper seats. You assume they have an internal comms person. They do not. Nor have they announced directors for Cadets or C2 or even a CEO for YEA. Give them a chance to get the key pieces in place and then start asking more of the interesting but not mission critical questions at the time. Just one persons opinion.

Thanks for the update. Any idea if they had a communications person before or at least had a description of the duties this person/people would be doing? If not then that just makes their rebuilding tasks even harder. 

17 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Thanks for the update. Any idea if they had a communications person before or at least had a description of the duties this person/people would be doing? If not then that just makes their rebuilding tasks even harder. 

They had outsourced marketing. They had internal social media. Development person did some double duty with communications. The whole org needs to be restructured since it was largely driven by one person with other folks who were not really empowered to do their jobs. The new board, by necessity, has empowered the staff to take on and execute more than ever before. It is a step in the right direction... but still need to fill some key seats. The board is acting as an executive committee overseeing operations until they have the key leaders in place. It seems to be working OK so they are not forced into making rushed decisions. It is more important right now that they are right about the decisions and not fast (although time is not a friend with Cadets prepping for spring training and C2 now going every weekend to get ready for the DCA season). USBands seems to be in the best shape right now (with a director in charge).

1 minute ago, MusicManNJ said:

USBands seems to be in the best shape right now (with a director in charge).

They're assembling an advisory committee last heard, which will hopefully get some things straightened out.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, MusicManNJ said:

They had outsourced marketing. They had internal social media. Development person did some double duty with communications. The whole org needs to be restructured since it was largely driven by one person with other folks who were not really empowered to do their jobs. The new board, by necessity, has empowered the staff to take on and execute more than ever before. It is a step in the right direction... but still need to fill some key seats. The board is acting as an executive committee overseeing operations until they have the key leaders in place. It seems to be working OK so they are not forced into making rushed decisions. It is more important right now that they are right about the decisions and not fast (although time is not a friend with Cadets prepping for spring training and C2 now going every weekend to get ready for the DCA season). USBands seems to be in the best shape right now (with a director in charge).

While they still continue to be present to their families, manage and fulfill their usual daytime jobs, and keep their own sanity in the face of such a tragedy, I think Doug Rutherford and his rangers are doing a phenomenal job in such a compressed but oh so important time frame while under the microscope of media and many.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, xandandl said:

While they still continue to be present to their families, manage and fulfill their usual daytime jobs, and keep their own sanity in the face of such a tragedy, I think Doug Rutherford and his rangers are doing a phenomenal job in such a compressed but oh so important time frame while under the microscope of media and many.

Absolutely incredible. I have likened this to one of the most challenging transitions ever faced by ANY non-profit. Doug and his team have handled this with great aplomb. May they continue to succeed in their quest to make YEA and their programs - and their stated mission to serve the many program participants - even greater than before.