Has this ever happened in DCI history?

While perusing the Championships entry list for both World and Open Classes, I noticed one fewer corps. It appears Les Stentors is no longer on the list.  As far as I know, they were the only active Canadian corps.

My question for the DCP community is: Has there ever been a year in DCI history where no Canadian corps competed at Championships?  If this is really the first time without Canadian representation, that is a sad milestone.

Edited by wolfgang

Are Bloo still considered a Canadian corps with Jon Vanderkolff, Doug Thower, and Mike Fanning?

Plus there is always John Philips.

Edited by xandandl
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, wolfgang said:

While perusing the Championships entry list for both World and Open Classes, I noticed one fewer corps. It appears Les Stentors is no longer on the list.  As far as I know, they were the only active Canadian corps.

My question for the DCP community is: Has there ever been a year in DCI history where no Canadian corps competed at Championships?  If this is really the first time without Canadian representation, that is a sad milestone.

" No " to you first question. " Yes " to your follow up observation.

Things change. In the 1st 2 years of DCI ( '72 & '73 ) only 2 Corps of the 40+ Corps in '72/ '73 DCI were from either Texas or California.

Today, a bit over 40% of the entire DCI Corps memberships come from just the 2 States of California and Texas.

Edited by BRASSO

3 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

Are Blue Saints still around? 

Active, but no longer compete in DCI.

• Thanks 1

Neither the State of New York, nor the Country of Canada have any competing Drum Corps in DCI anymore.

Edited by BRASSO

I did not realize Les Stentors were not competing this year. It’s too bad, because the staff worked hard to make sure the kids had a great experience. They also got by with very little. I’ve always felt they were a small corps, but had a huge amount of heart and took pride in what they did. They have gone inactive and returned to competition about ten years ago, and I do believe about three or four years ago they were not listed for shows until June. That being said, I thought they were ,sites when the schedule was first released.

• Like 3

Definitely a sad day for DCI. They are no longer listed on the DCI website list of active corps. But their website doesn't mention anything about not competing this year, at least that I could find. Unfortunately this was probably inevitable with the steady loss of other Canadian corps over the last decade and DCI no longer having any shows in Canada.

20 minutes ago, Beckham said:

Definitely a sad day for DCI. They are no longer listed on the DCI website list of active corps. But their website doesn't mention anything about not competing this year, at least that I could find. Unfortunately this was probably inevitable with the steady loss of other Canadian corps over the last decade and DCI no longer having any shows in Canada.

Someone here mentioned a Facebook post a week or two ago about Stentors not fielding a corps this year.