MM's that HAD to have their wisdom teeth out...

Hello all, 

My son is starting his second year with the Cavaliers in 8 days! He had his wisdom teeth out back on May 3rd, and we really thought a week later he'd be back in the groove. At his follow-up appointment today, they said he is "still healing" and shouldn't play for at least another week, which is advice he will be forced to follow ( by me). But it raised my curiosity...how many of you hardcore drum corps people had to deal with it when you marched? And what was your recovery like? 

As we all know, Spring Training are long days of playing and physical exertion. Just curious if any of you with real world experience could share any insight. 

the corps will work with him and not make him do more than he's ready to do

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

the corps will work with him and not make him do more than he's ready to do

Oh, for sure...the staff has been overly supportive. I had mine done in high school during the summer, but for the life of me I couldn't remember how long that took the horn out of my hands. 

Congrats to your son, and best wishes for a great season.  A week, this early in the season, is nothing.  I wouldn't be concerned unless he requires more than an additional three weeks.  His chops will lapse, but he can likely catch up.  The doctor might be able to prescribe something to help speed healing (e.g. a course of antibiotics or a mouth rinse).  

Had mine removed during the week while marching DCA and went to rehearsal the following weekend. Remember laying low (informed brass staff what was going on and why) during the day's rehearsal then, like the dumb-a$$ I was, got into the horn arc and thought "I'm feeling ok - let's try this triple forte chord!" Once done brought the horn down and saw blood in the mouthpiece. Yuck!

Thankfully that kind of thing didn't linger long and am pretty sure I was able to play during that weekend's performance. Definitely not worth pushing this early in the season.

Edited by Rufus67

Had all 4 wisdom teeth out at once on a Friday and sat in rehearsal Sunday and tried to play.  Dumb, dumb, dumb. That was why they call them wisdom teeth.  I lost an amount of wisdom thinking I could play after 2 days. Man did it hurt.  I was good a few days after stiches came out so in all about a full 2 weeks.  Still tender for a week but I was back playing.

quote-as-long-as-i-have-teeth-i-ll-keep-

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

36 minutes ago, LabMaster said:

Had all 4 wisdom teeth out at once on a Friday and sat in rehearsal Sunday and tried to play.  Dumb, dumb, dumb. That was why they call them wisdom teeth.  I lost an amount of wisdom thinking I could play after 2 days. Man did it hurt.  I was good a few days after stiches came out so in all about a full 2 weeks.  Still tender for a week but I was back playing.

You gotta let that clot heal up really good.  You do not want dry socket.  I had my wisdom teeth out when I was 27 but I had a back molar extraction in my 50’s.  It took FOREVER to heal and I was miserable for a month.  

Edited by Terri Schehr
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

You gotta let that clot heal up really good.  You do not want dry socket.  I had my wisdom teeth out when I was 27 but I had a back molar extraction in my 50’s.  It took FOREVER to heal and I was miserable for a month.  

The "dry socket" is definitely the enemy. He's swishing a disinfectant twice a day and swirling warm saltwater after every meal. I had a dry socket when I was fifteen and it about killed me! 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

I had the dry socket thing... not fun.  

Healing should be NUMBER ONE priority and my advice, don't push it.  I agree, he can catch up. 

Reminds me of when my son got started way late, toward the end of all-days one season and while all the other euph players were conditioned to hold up their horns, his arms would just sag that first week, poor thing.  It just looked painful but he eventually got back in the groove.

• Like 2