MM's that HAD to have their wisdom teeth out...

8 minutes ago, luv4corps said:

I had the dry socket thing... not fun.  

Healing should be NUMBER ONE priority and my advice, don't push it.  I agree, he can catch up. 

Reminds me of when my son got started way late, toward the end of all-days one season and while all the other euph players were conditioned to hold up their horns, his arms would just sag that first week, poor thing.  It just looked painful but he eventually got back in the groove.

His section tech has been nothing but awesome. He texted him today to not even worry about buzzing a mouthpiece...just HEAL! One thing I've learned about this staff over the last couple of years...they take care of these kids...FIRST and FOREMOST! 

• Like 6

6 hours ago, PopcornEater1963 said:

The "dry socket" is definitely the enemy. He's swishing a disinfectant twice a day and swirling warm saltwater after every meal. I had a dry socket when I was fifteen and it about killed me! 

Gentle swishing. And no straws. Or spitting. He’s probably not too likely to get it by now (taking it easy, doing “normal,” non-bugle related activity, LOL) but I’d still play it safe. (A perforated maxillary sinus wouldn’t be too fun either.) [disclaimer: not intended to be long distance medical advice— I’m off work:wink:]

Edited by year1buick
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, year1buick said:

Gentle swishing. And no straws. Or spitting. He’s probably not too likely to get it by now (taking it easy, doing “normal,” non-bugle related activity, LOL) but I’d still play it safe. (A perforated maxillary sinus wouldn’t be too fun either.) [disclaimer: not intended to be long distance medical advice— I’m off work:wink:]

I'd like to think running into day 8 post surgery that you're a thousand percent right. He had one tooth laid sideways right down on the jawbone that was rather "non routine" in its extraction. That's what we're taking extra precautions over. The top socket are the other lower socket are almost completely healed. I'm hopeful that this will all be an afterthought when he gets on the plane for move ins. This kid has worked REALLY hard from November til now for this show. I'm just being the over concerned Dad that's going to ride herd over him to make sure he doesn't do something "stupid". 

Edited by PopcornEater1963
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, year1buick said:

Definitely no straws.  The oral surgeon pounded that one into my melon. 

7 hours ago, PopcornEater1963 said:

I'd like to think running into day 8 post surgery that you're a thousand percent right. He had one tooth laid sideways right down on the jawbone that was rather "non routine" in its extraction. That's what we're taking extra precautions over. The top socket are the other lower socket are almost completely healed. I'm hopeful that this will all be an afterthought when he gets on the plane for move ins. This kid has worked REALLY hard from November til now for this show. I'm just being the over concerned Dad that's going to ride herd over him to make sure he doesn't do something "stupid". 

I have deep roots, too.  Practically into the jawbone.  That’s why it takes so long to heal.  He’s young though and will snap back much more quickly that I did. 

I can’t stress enough how important it is to deal with dental issues like you did.  At 29, my son had an impacted wisdom tooth that abscessed that he had no pain.  It developed into endocarditis, destroyed two heart valves.  He had open heart surgery and now has two mechanical valves.  Had more complications a few months later.  He’s fine now.  He marched nine seasons and the respiratory therapist said he has the lung capacity of a top athlete.  Never doubt that these kids are athletes.  They are. 

Final word:  keep your dental checkups.  Always. 

Edited by Terri Schehr

17 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

You gotta let that clot heal up really good.  You do not want dry socket.  I had my wisdom teeth out when I was 27 but I had a back molar extraction in my 50’s.  It took FOREVER to heal and I was miserable for a month.  

I was just going to say that.  Preventing a dry socket and/or infection is #1.  Yes, putting your horn down for a bit sucks, but it's better than being sidelined for weeks!  Sending great healing vibes to him!!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, PopcornEater1963 said:

Yeah, most of us will do routine extractions where you have to remove some bone or section the tooth (just did one this morning) but I wouldn’t even attempt to try an impacted tooth- I leave those to oral surgeons.

Its good that the corps is being so understanding; I dealt with an ER visit while on tour and, even though I was only out for a day, it was a real drag. All he needs to worry about is this summer is marching his spot, not tooth problems.

• Like 1

We’re down to one corner of his mouth! It’s the one that had the most problematic tooth. He has a “gum flap” in that corner that is perplexing him, but no pain. 

Buzzed a mouthpiece for a few minutes today, including triple tongued exercises. Says it “feels weird” but no pain and no blood. 

Move ins are Friday. Just love that the staff has been so awesome. He’s on his way back! 

Might actually hear a note out of a horn tomorrow! 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, PopcornEater1963 said:

We’re down to one corner of his mouth! It’s the one that had the most problematic tooth. He has a “gum flap” in that corner that is perplexing him, but no pain. 

Buzzed a mouthpiece for a few minutes today, including triple tongued exercises. Says it “feels weird” but no pain and no blood. 

Move ins are Friday. Just love that the staff has been so awesome. He’s on his way back! 

Might actually hear a note out of a horn tomorrow! 

Excellent news! 

• Like 1

Thanks to all who offered support! I just heard his last workout before move ins tomorrow in Detroit. He’s well on his way to full recovery. And he’s in play for some featured musician roles in this year’s show. Of course that’s still up to the staff, but his Mom and I are poised for the “biggest” season of his Drum Corps experience! 

• Like 2