the new list of Class A

Just think, if Chops and CT stayed in A there would be more A's then Open's   ;)

7 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

By my completely unofficial count... as of right now, 13 in Open and 6 in Class A.

Like you said, barring any moves up or down by June 1.

What minimum number would we all like to see, in our dream world? I've long felt that a stable league will have at least twice as many corps in each division as there are finalist slots. That's just an idea I pulled out of thin air, but in DCI, the move up by Music City puts 24 corps into World Class for the first time since 2005 (when World Class aka "Division I" included the now defunct Glassmen, Capital Regiment, Southwind, Esperanza, Magic of Orlando, and Kiwanis Kavaliers). In DCI's Open Class, there are 23 Open Class corps this year (including Jubal visiting from the Netherlands), but only 17 at championships (Battalion, Blue Devil C, Columbians, Incognito, Vessel, Watchmen are only playing shows in the west).

In DCA, my hypothetical minimum would mean at least twenty Open Class corps and eight Class A corps at championships. (Of course, it could be there are too many finalist spots. Some years I feel that way; other years not.) What's the most ever to attend?

6 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

What minimum number would we all like to see, in our dream world? I've long felt that a stable league will have at least twice as many corps in each division as there are finalist slots. That's just an idea I pulled out of thin air, but in DCI, the move up by Music City puts 24 corps into World Class for the first time since 2005 (when World Class aka "Division I" included the now defunct Glassmen, Capital Regiment, Southwind, Esperanza, Magic of Orlando, and Kiwanis Kavaliers). In DCI's Open Class, there are 23 Open Class corps this year (including Jubal visiting from the Netherlands), but only 17 at championships (Battalion, Blue Devil C, Columbians, Incognito, Vessel, Watchmen are only playing shows in the west).

In DCA, my hypothetical minimum would mean at least twenty Open Class corps and eight Class A corps at championships. (Of course, it could be there are too many finalist spots. Some years I feel that way; other years not.) What's the most ever to attend?

26 i believe in 2005 16 in open, 10 in A, and they were only taking 3 in A class then

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

26 i believe in 2005 16 in open, 10 in A, and they were only taking 3 in A class then

That was a big field.

I think up until the early to mid-2000s, DCA only had 20 or more corps at prelims in 1987 (23 that year). Maybe one other year, I'm not sure.

Man.... can you imagine 26 prelims corps in the era of the "prelims and finals in the same day" format???

We probably would need to start at 7 AM.  LOL.

1 hour ago, larry p said:

seems as though there are 8 A's and 11 opens...way to go A class. And adding 2 to OPen class :)

That’s correct 11 Open Class and 8 Class ‘A’ 

1 hour ago, larry p said:

Just think, if Chops and CT stayed in A there would be more A's then Open's   ;)

CT would have had to cut 37 members to reach the Maximum allowed in Class ‘A’ 

• Haha 2

Two people have indicated that there will be eight not six Class A corps this year.

That means two corps have dropped from Open Class to Class A this year, but nobody in this thread indicated who those two corps are:

Carolina Gold and Skyliners.

(At least, that's how they're listed on DCA's website.)

35 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Two people have indicated that there will be eight not six Class A corps this year.

That means two corps have dropped from Open Class to Class A this year, but nobody in this thread indicated who those two corps are:

Carolina Gold and Skyliners.

(At least, that's how they're listed on DCA's website.)

Just saw that on the site. I guess it's official now?

Adding those two former Class A champions certainly strengthens the "A" field. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

That was a big field.

I think up until the early to mid-2000s, DCA only had 20 or more corps at prelims in 1987 (23 that year). Maybe one other year, I'm not sure.

23 again in 06