Visual scoring (Here, horsey horsey...)

11 minutes ago, Liahona said:

THIS.

That's the thing that gets me the most about the activity (a mix of art/athleticism). Take figure skating - everyone knows if a performer falls during a routine they're not winning that day (unless other competitors fall more). During a drum corps performance where you see marchers out of step, using different marching styles, etc., and yet see them score higher in visual than other corps, it doesn't instill a lot of faith in the system (i.e., doesn't pass the eye test).

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rufus67 said:

That's the thing that gets me the most about the activity (a mix of art/athleticism). Take figure skating - everyone knows if a performer falls during a routine they're not winning that day (unless other competitors fall more). During a drum corps performance where you see marchers out of step, using different marching styles, etc., and yet see them score higher in visual than other corps, it doesn't instill a lot of faith in the system (i.e., doesn't pass the eye test).

EXACTLY!

I hate using ice-skating as analogy because folks around here like to pounce on that....but it is also a sport(hesitate to use this word as well here) both artistic and athletic....

Point in example. I thought for sure Nathan Chen would WIN the gold at the Olympics.  Well...he had a BAD RUN for his short-program which put him in 17th place.  His long program turn-around performance with an unprecedented six quad jumps in his free skate almost launched him from 17th place to nearly winning a medal in the men's singles competition.

But he fell short due to a BAD RUN...

This would never happen in DCI...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Liahona said:

EXACTLY!

I hate using ice-skating as analogy because folks around here like to pounce on that....but it is also a sport(hesitate to use this word as well here) both artistic and athletic....

Point in example. I thought for sure Nathan Chen would WIN the gold at the Olympics.  Well...he had a BAD RUN for his short-program which put him in 17th place.  His long program turn-around performance with an unprecedented six quad jumps in his free skate almost launched him from 17th place to nearly winning a medal in the men's singles competition.

But he fell short due to a BAD RUN...

This would never happen in DCI...

When you look at something like skating you are looking at 1 person ( just 1 ) with our activity there are 150 people, Big difference in recognizing a " bad run " Often they would have to be extremely flat or a hot mess.

1 minute ago, GUARDLING said:

When you look at something like skating you are looking at 1 person ( just 1 ) with our activity there are 150 people, Big difference in recognizing a " bad run " Often they would have to be extremely flat or a hot mess.

I do understand your point...but still think it to be comparable.

I have witnessed BOTH examples you have cited from night to night...I am not going to cite any specific corps out of respect..

11 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

I get ya . 

Explain how you find figure skating compared to a drum Corp or a marching band.! I’m intrigued. How do you compare one competitor to a huge group. I just don’t see it.!

Guess we need to dust off that Planar Analysis thesis...

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, Ediker said:

:whip:

Okay, surely this topic has been done to death, but it still baffles me.  Why do the Blue Devils win Visual?

There is so much precision, innovation, difficulty, and entertainment in other top 5 corps' Visual programs.  Why in the world does Blue Devils' sluggish, listless, unimaginative, imprecise, and BORING Visual design win?  I watch BD wanting to love what I see, but always come away stumped ("That won Visual?").   It's criminal that they beat Crown, SCV, Bloo, and Cavies... whose shows would be entertaining even with the volume turned off. 

BD's colorguard is worthy of being counted among the best, but everything else, visually, is below average in composition/design among the rest of the top 12. 

The judges either don't understand what they're judging (and frightened to take a stand, give it to BD), or they're being paid off, or there is something arcane about Visual judging that I'm completely missing.  Please educate me.  For the record, while I am biased toward the east coast, I've had great love for BD, at different times, and would not call myself a hater.  

Below average? You have got to be kidding. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, afd said:

Below average? You have got to be kidding. 

No need to demean...