Visual scoring (Here, horsey horsey...)

15 minutes ago, afd said:

Explain how you find figure skating compared to a drum Corp or a marching band.! I’m intrigued. How do you compare one competitor to a huge group. I just don’t see it.!

I don't think many if not all sports can be compared to our activity. We have many many elements to our activity on top of 150 people. MArching band. can be very similar because of the change over the years to a drum corps style and drum corps people making that influence. 

22 minutes ago, afd said:

Explain how you find figure skating compared to a drum Corp or a marching band.! I’m intrigued. How do you compare one competitor to a huge group. I just don’t see it.!

I get @Liahona's point in that they are both judged competitions.  There is no stopwatch or measuring tape providing a more definite measure of achievement.  Yeah, they're totally different activities, but have some things in common with how they are assessed.  

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, afd said:

Below average? You have got to be kidding. 

I wish I weren't.  To be fair, I read the sheets @Liahonaposted earlier, and watched BD's victory run.  I can now better appreciate the many obvious and subtle ways the visual is enhancing the music.  The music is spectacular.  Visually, there are many moments where the visual components "click" into what's going on musically.  The colorguard is pretty darn good at lyrically capturing the music too.  Okay, I'm learning.  I need to go and re-watch the top12 with these things in mind.  

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Ediker said:

I get @Liahona's point in that they are both judged competitions.  There is no stopwatch or measuring tape providing a more definite measure of achievement.  Yeah, they're totally different activities, but have some things in common with how they are assessed.  

That's a pretty broad brush though. Chili cook-offs are judged also and It can't be compared other than it's judged. just my 2cents

I may not agree but can appreciate how others might find some comparison I guess.

Edited by GUARDLING

22 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

I don't think many if not all sports can be compared to our activity. We have many many elements to our activity on top of 150 people. MArching band. can be very similar because of the change over the years to a drum corps style and drum corps people making that influence. 

Thank you. I’ve heard this comparison to figure skating and I just don’t see it. maybe to individual performances like ie but to compare one performer to a huge group is just rediclous. The only common thing is being judged. And American Idol is also judging. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

That's a pretty broad brush though. Chili cook-offs are judged also and It can't be compared other than it's judged. just my 2cents

I may not agree but can appreciate how others might find some comparison I guess.

Fair enough!  

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, afd said:

Thank you. I’ve heard this comparison to figure skating and I just don’t see it. maybe to individual performances like ie but to compare one performer to a huge group is just rediclous. The only common thing is being judged. And American Idol is also judging. 

His main point was that we don't often see a clear reflection in a corps' score when they've had a bad run, like in other judged sports (figure skating was an example).  The activities are totally different.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, afd said:

The similarity is in the way the activites are scored.

3 hours ago, Brass Lover said:

While I do sometimes question if they should have won visual proficiency (like last year), I completely disagree with the fact that they're boring. I've always thought they used color better than anyone else, and that was a big part of what made their visual so alive. They're also very smart and compact with their props, which they move around to stage different parts of the show. But yeah, I think the color thing plays a big part. Look at very monochromatic shows like Power of Ten and Jagged Line. Those shows didn't do so hot visually.

Color, along with costumes, props, etc. are only a very small consideration in the effect caption. The emphasis is on what the performers DO. These are not considered at all (to the best of my knowledge) in the Visual Performance and Visual Analysis captions.

55 minutes ago, jpaul said:

Color, along with costumes, props, etc. are only a very small consideration in the effect caption. The emphasis is on what the performers DO. These are not considered at all (to the best of my knowledge) in the Visual Performance and Visual Analysis captions.

although some disagree I can tell you if it's on the field it is judged. It may not be a specific line item BUT it's all there one way or another. ALL OF IT!

Of course, Performance is what it is and judged of the group or individual

Edited by GUARDLING