Update from the Philadelphia Inquirer

2 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Dealing successfully with adversarial interviews is a mine field.  To do it well, you need constant practice - In a previous life (at Pentagon) we often worked late into the night developing PowerPoint slides with all the tough questions and suggested replies for General Officers testifying before Congress the next day (usually briefing them at 0530 (or 0600 if we got lucky)).  And Generals are very smooth talking politicians - they are groomed over years & sometimes decades.

Unless Dan A has a staff & plenty of time to prep, coordinate and make sure proposed replies pass legal muster I think it is wise to avoid talking w/ press at this time.

Thanks for your experience and insight. I would agree

4 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

She’s trying to show how the organization is recovering/rebuilding 

I agree with your take on this reporter.

I haven't had a conversation with her, have never met her... but again, from my media days I have a reasonably good idea of what "hatchet job" reporting is when I see it... and IMO, she is not doing a hatchet job here, by any stretch of the imagination.  

In my radio days, sometimes a story would just fall into our lap... and the more we covered the story, the bigger our lap got, through no fault of our own.  LOL.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

Among other things...  don't hire the person with the questionable background. Period.

Absolutely - a zero tolerance policy is required.  Coordination and communication between corps and DCI is a good start.

However there needs to be compliance to agreed policies, procedures for reporting and procedures for enforcement of violations.

This would require signed acceptance by all participants to include administration, staff, members, and volunteers of every organization,  as well as DCI and the adjudicators.

Each organization is responsible for annual fees to establish and maintain a staffed compliance department within DCI for oversight of policies, reporting and enforcement procedures and the management of violations.

I’m not convinced that the individual corps can or will police themselves. So it’s going to have to be done for them. 

Edited by Jim Schehr

26 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

I agree with your take on this reporter.

I haven't had a conversation with her, have never met her... but again, from my media days I have a reasonably good idea of what "hatchet job" reporting is when I see it... and IMO, she is not doing a hatchet job here, by any stretch of the imagination.  

In my radio days, sometimes a story would just fall into our lap... and the more we covered the story, the bigger our lap got, through no fault of our own.  LOL.

always knew you had a face for radio...lol..jk

Image result for a face for radio

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, GUARDLING said:

always knew you had a face for radio...lol..jk

Image result for a face for radio

That actually is quite true!!!  :tongue:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Dealing successfully with adversarial interviews is a mine field.  To do it well, you need constant practice - In a previous life (at Pentagon) we often worked late into the night developing PowerPoint slides with all the tough questions and suggested replies for General Officers testifying before Congress the next day (usually briefing them at 0530 (or 0600 if we got lucky)).  And Generals are very smooth talking politicians - they are groomed over years & sometimes decades.

Unless Dan A has a staff & plenty of time to prep, coordinate and make sure proposed replies pass legal muster I think it is wise to avoid talking w/ press at this time.

You do make a compelling case to not grant her any more interviews. I can see both the plusses  and minuses to this strategy. Its a tough call.  Regardless, both will continue to go about their jobs as they see fit at the moment. Its entirely possible, if we want to look at this favorably to Dan's side, he may need more time to really find out what the heck is going on. Who knows. I'd imagine we are just in the first/ 2nd inning of a 9 inning ball game here. Managers don't talk to the press in the middle of a ball game... especially when your team is getting shellacked so far in the early going.

3 hours ago, GUARDLING said:

still don't get it but thats ok.

remember she's a drum corps outsider..who on the outside really cares about the activity. Guess I am not as trusting as many

my mom in 1966? LOL

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, GUARDLING said:

yes you are right. Not shooting the messenger. I am not so glad about going to a show. Don't get why or what it has to do with what her job is. She's a reporter, not a new found friend. At least not with the important subject at hand. ( which I give her full credit for ) As I said no need to further the subject, it's just my opinion which I will and are very willing to change my mind but not right now. 

given the amount of time she has spent covering the activity, she's been told several times "you have to see it live to really appreciate it". So it seems she plans to do just that. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BRASSO said:

No doubt. Neither one of us know her from a hole in the wall. We'll most likely never meet her either. As such, she'll never have the good fortune of becoming a " new found friend " for either one of us, nor her, for us either. Her job as a reporter is not to become a " friend " to DCI. DCI probably feels the same way toward her newspaper too.  Dan A. has apparently rejected her overtures for more interviews with him. Thats of course in his domain as well, I suppose. But theres a wise old saying  :  " never pick a fight with someone ( newspaper ) that buys ink by the barrel ". He might be well served to reconsider not agreeing to grant her interviews. On the other hand, he may have some valid reasons for not doing so, unknown to us at the moment too. Who knows. But yes, she's not a " new found friend ", not about to become one either, so that seems sort of a given and irrelevant to anything, really. My reply was that she's doing her job, and its nice to see she might be attending her 1st DCI show this summer.

I invited her to our annual Allentown tailgate. My cooler is open to her

• Like 3