Update from the Philadelphia Inquirer

2 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Who would Acheson report Morrison to?

And therein perhaps,  is an instructive insight as to why DCI is in the position that it finds itself in at the moment with this issue of sexual misconduct found within its ranks.

Joel Moody did not resign at the Crossmen because of the actions of Fred Morrison seeking his resignation, nor by Joel Moody himself.... not anyone at DCI HQ either.

The Philadelphia Inquirer investigatory reporting to the public ALONE  made this resignation occur. As they have for all the other recent resignations within the ranks of DCI too that are in some manner connected to this issue. DCI is up to  close to a dozen resignations so far on this issue. Some known predators, others apparent enablers, others just irresponsible people in positions of authority that exercised little to no oversight responsibilities/ abilities in their positions.  No doubt, more resignations to follow in the coming days, weeks, months, one would have to believe.

Its a shame that this is how DCI apparently does things, ie wait until outsiders arrive on the scene to make them do the right thing.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, BRASSO said:

Given the fact that DCI HQ reportedly put pressure to bear  at YEA last month  to have Sean King step aside  for allegedly not acting several years back on info given to him about sexual misconduct ( sex texting ) in the YEA office allegedly by George Hopkins, it does seem rather peculiar to some fans today that Fred Morrison has not been similarly asked to step aside at the very least as the current Chairmen of the Board of Directors of DCI. Mr. Morrison saw fit to hire a person for his Crossmen's staff that had at one time lost his teaching license for 5 years for sex texting a female H.S. Student..

Perhaps there is a valid reason for Morrison's retention in that DCI  position as DCI's  BOD ChairPerson at the moment.

But I must say.... that reasoning for his retention escapes me at the moment.

Oh well, we're just mostly DCI Drum Corps fans here on DCP,  watching this DCI Drum Corps story play out and trying to make sense of what is being reported in the national media of late.

I guess what many people want to know is :... is  DCI really serious about providing a safer environment for its youth in the future ? Or is it mere words and lip service at the moment ? I suppose only time will tell.

i am amazed he isnt trying to sell the corps back to PA

• Like 1

2 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Is Dan Acheson's reluctance to speak with reporters due in part to guidance he's been receiving from DCI's chair?

i'm betting the lawyers

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BRASSO said:

DCI is up to  close to a dozen resignations so far on this issue.

Since the first Inquirer story broke? I readily count three or 4 depending on when and how or are there some other ones that have attracted less attention?

Edited by BigW

8 hours ago, HockeyDad said:

The optics here are just horrible. Are they so cloistered at Indy they don't get it?  Right now it's looking like they too are part of the problem.  

Completely agree.

5 hours ago, BigW said:

Since the first Inquirer story broke? I readily count three or 4 depending on when and how or are there some other ones that have attracted less attention?

If you count each YEA! board member separately, the total adds up to around a dozen.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, BRASSO said:

Given the fact that DCI HQ reportedly put pressure to bear  at YEA last month  to have Sean King step aside  for allegedly not acting several years back on info given to him about sexual misconduct ( sex texting ) in the YEA office allegedly by George Hopkins, it does seem rather peculiar to some fans today that Fred Morrison has not been similarly asked to step aside at the very least as the current Chairmen of the Board of Directors of DCI.

I must have missed that part.  Can you point me toward where that was reported?

10 hours ago, BRASSO said:

Given the fact that DCI HQ reportedly put pressure to bear  at YEA last month  to have Sean King step aside  for allegedly not acting several years back on info given to him about sexual misconduct ( sex texting ) in the YEA office allegedly by George Hopkins, it does seem rather peculiar to some fans today that Fred Morrison has not been similarly asked to step aside

I am going to politely disagree with you on this...

1. DCI did not put pressure on YEA to have Mr. King step aside. The newly installed BoD did this themselves (one of their very first acts).

2. Mr. King's situation and Mr Morrison's situation are completely different. It is alleged a person made a report to Mr. King that he ignored (which he denies) that is now being investigated and should be concluded soon. Mr. Morrison is not accused of any wrong doing. He did not fail to act on a report. He hired a person, knowing full well the history, to give them a second chance (folks can agree or disagree about the judgement). There are staff members who initially voiced their concern. These concerns Mr. Morrison did not share and doing the 6 years that have now passed there were no issues reported to Mr. Morrison. 

These are VERY different circumstances and I do not see what the issue is that would have DCI take any action. Again, this was his judgement that we can disagree with. When you are the CEO of an organization these are his calls to make. You do not have to like it, agree with it, but that is the way organizations work.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, MusicManNJ said:

1. DCI did not put pressure on YEA to have Mr. King step aside. The newly installed BoD did this themselves (one of their very first acts).

2. Mr. King's situation and Mr Morrison's situation are completely different. It is alleged a person made a report to Mr. King that he ignored (which he denies) that is now being investigated and should be concluded soon. Mr. Morrison is not accused of any wrong doing. He did not fail to act on a report. He hired a person, knowing full well the history, to give them a second chance (folks can agree or disagree about the judgement). There are staff members who initially voiced their concern. These concerns Mr. Morrison did not share and doing the 6 years that have now passed there were no issues reported to Mr. Morrison. 

These are VERY different circumstances and I do not see what the issue is that would have DCI take any action. Again, this was his judgement that we can disagree with. When you are the CEO of an organization these are his calls to make. You do not have to like it, agree with it, but that is the way organizations work.

Thank you.

I'm hopeful that several other misperceptions in this thread eventually are corrected related to the DCI BoD chair and his relationship and power structure related to the other members and to the executive staff.

DCI's governance structure is, apparently, not widely understood.  

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, MusicManNJ said:

While it is not the same situation or claim as Mr. King, I think when you couple these new reports of sexual harassment with Mr. Morrison's judgement it is certainly worth a closer review. Those new reports make claim that Mr. Morrison was considered essentially unapproachable by the victims. And, again, other staff had approached him with concerns and he proved inflexible on the subject.