Update from the Philadelphia Inquirer

2 hours ago, One n Done said:

The air of moral superiority demonstrated from a number of people in this thread (and those related) is tiresome.  And it’s always the same several individuals.  I wonder how clean their own houses are, and whether they are built on rock, as they seem to believe, or sand.  These individuals posture as though the words they spout are ALL about positive change.  I call BS, based on the holier than thou invective and spiteful commentary they leave behind like a trail of litter.  Thank you to those that attempt to share with objectivity, compassion and fairness in these discussions.  Your words are an oasis in what often reads like a desert.

And your suggestion to deal with sexual predators or those who knowingly harbor them is? 

crickets! 

Edited by Jim Schehr

4 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

The alumni I’ve spoken to have expressed deep concerns about this matter simply because they care about the Crossmen.  I’ve sensed no personal malice toward The Morrison’s.   They’re questioning the judgment of keeping this staff member employed. 

Terri,  that's kind of where I'm at on this whole thing.

I'm not a Crossmen alum, but have several good friends who are... and I am part of the Crossmen Alumni and Friends project that happened last summer in Allentown and is scheduled again for this summer.  I met Fred and his wife through this, and they are two of the nicest people I can ever hope to meet.

I completely disagree with the decision to hire this Moody guy and to keep him on staff in light of his background. But I can certainly understand why people have no personal animosity toward Fred. IMO he's a good man who made a bad mistake, with the benefit of hindsight being 20/20.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, MusicManNJ said:

No need for the snark Jeff. You stated they could not be trusted to act on a report of abuse yet there was never a report for them to act on. Your point is they should have told parents. Fair enough... but that is not the same as inferring they could not be trusted to deal with a reported issue of abuse.

If they never told parents for 6 years they can’t be trusted. It’s pretty black and white cut and dry. 

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

You aren’t trolling threads Jim in hopes of silencing discussion.  And I did meet yourself and Krista in Annapolis. 

Boy my memory sucks. I think I remember but you’ll have to message me with the details. 

3 hours ago, garfield said:

Yes, I got what you're saying - you don't have to type slower :rolleyes: .  

And, again, you, at the time, would have made a different decision than they did to notify all staff and participants.  You think his decision was wrong.  So did those staff who disagreed at the time.

Noted.  But irresponsible, beyond the law or current convention, is subjective and you weren't, and hadn't, devoted all of your adult life to the Crossmen, either.

It doesn't make you wrong.  Or me.  Or Fred.  Not wrong enough to destroy a career in flames.

No it does make Fred wrong. Every year he had up to 150 kids trusted to his care. Plus staff and volunteers. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Liahona said:

how bout a BANGER :laugh:

I’m ok with that if done legally and with consent 

45 minutes ago, Jim Schehr said:

Trust me Jim you actually contribute to conversation anonymously or not.

Thanks just got nailed a few times on another social media site. Have to give a real name but did not have my picture as an avatar. For some that was “proof” that I really didn’t exist lol. Working DoD I really err on the side on caution.

And yes Terri very sweet and very strong for what she put up with. DCA weekend was one of her favorite events as she could see our friends. Kicker was she never marched or know drum corps until she met me. *sigh*

oh yeah she even liked Jeff lol

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, garfield said:

I have a teenage daughter playing marimba...  I am not going to guess what my reaction would be, but I'm absolutely certain that it would be based on in what context I was made aware.  

Did he grab someone?  Was he caught doing something?  Or did a member report to their parents that this guy always seemed to have someone with him, looking over his shoulder?  What would be the #### circumstances in this "what would you do?" world to want to react in?

The Morrison's, to our evidence and knowledge, made a decision that some staff members disagreed with, and you do, too. 

That doesn't rise to the level of disbarment, disgorgement, stripping off his epaulets and sending him down the dusty trail into oblivion.

I understand your passion. 

Statistics show they don’t do it just once. And per the article his behavior didn’t improve. 

• Like 2