Update from the Philadelphia Inquirer

3 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Well, for starters, wouldn't you want to know Moody's history before your daughter's director hired him as an assistant, or, if she joined the band after he was on staff, what his history was?

And if her director kept that information from you, wouldn't you feel some sort of punishment was in order? A note of censure to his file from the school board, perhaps?

Yup

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Liahona said:

The more I read about this entire situation that has exploded since last month and contemplate it...I really think there needs to be an INDEPENDENT BODY separate form the corps and also DCI as well...a place where victims of these crimes, harassment, hazing issues and the like....can turn/call for reporting and assistance etc...a place they feel comfortable to talk about it...I just don't think self-policing is doing enough...perhaps it is heightened awareness right now..but what will it be in say 5 or 10 years from now?

The inmates want to police the asylum themselves 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Makes you wonder why so few corps directors have been women. I see that Jordan Peterson, the psychiatrist and cultural commentator who has been much in the news of late, says that the reason women have traditionally not been in positions of power is that men are more competent. I don't think that's the explanation. But while that issue is surely related to the topic under discussion here, probably it's a subject best saved for another thread.

I think it’s because women are smart enough to say no way

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, One n Done said:

The air of moral superiority demonstrated from a number of people in this thread (and those related) is tiresome.  And it’s always the same several individuals.  I wonder how clean their own houses are, and whether they are built on rock, as they seem to believe, or sand.  These individuals posture as though the words they spout are ALL about positive change.  I call BS, based on the holier than thou invective and spiteful commentary they leave behind like a trail of litter.  Thank you to those that attempt to share with objectivity, compassion and fairness in these discussions.  Your words are an oasis in what often reads like a desert.

You have severely misjudged posters here. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

The inmates want to police the asylum themselves 

Just thinking of a marcher wants to report and sees more than one person in high places as part of the problem. Really going to cut down the chances of them reporting to another higher up. Especially if they work  or friends with the person who who should be reported. Yes independent is needed.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

1 hour ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Yep and if anyone is upset enough they can report and let the mods do a clean up like last thread.

I don’t post my real name either for personal security reasons. But don’t try to mind read others either. And some here (including a mod) know me and what I look like lol

Stand up I can’t see you 

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Thanks just got nailed a few times on another social media site. Have to give a real name but did not have my picture as an avatar. For some that was “proof” that I really didn’t exist lol. Working DoD I really err on the side on caution.

And yes Terri very sweet and very strong for what she put up with. DCA weekend was one of her favorite events as she could see our friends. Kicker was she never marched or know drum corps until she met me. *sigh*

oh yeah she even liked Jeff lol

She told me she liked me more than she liked you :tongue:

• Like 1

Just now, Jeff Ream said:

She told me she liked me more than she liked you :tongue:

Probably said it on front of me too. Yeah she got along with corps people real good. “And I thought my brother had crazy friends”.

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

IMO he's a good man who made a bad mistake, with the benefit of hindsight being 20/20.

Lessons learned. I don’t know where the line should be drawn when dealing with these difficult situations. There is so many amazing wonderful devoted people in this activity. 

Edited by Jim Schehr

2 hours ago, Liahona said:

a fine should be in order as well. 

i.e. perhaps 10k first offence and 25k each additional. After one or two of these are levied...it may sink in..zero tolerance

Who is going to determine the legitimacy of an accusation? Although I do believe people need to be believed of course there can have has been the complete opposite. A case is not cut and dry otherwise courts wouldn't take forever to make a case. 

Everything always seems so easy and cut on dry on the internet discussion boards. If something like this is in the future, safeguards, as well as preparation of evidence, would have to be presented. When you talk about people and how something might affect them caution has to be right up there.

An accusation of rape now, I say just let authorities take over it ( best way ) this activity cannot be judge and jury on this.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1