Update from the Philadelphia Inquirer

8 minutes ago, One n Done said:

It should be possible to protect the activity without some of the careless and even malicious commentary tossed around here. 

We’re in agreement with the exception of careless and malicious commentary which we can agree to disagree on. Considering the seriousness of the allegations and in many cases fact and absolute truth presented, things have been pretty tame. I’ll be the first to admit that I don’t know how to be PC when it comes to sexual predators. Or will I be an apologist for their  behavior. 

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

You have severely misjudged posters here. 

No sir, I have shared my displeasure about a small group within this community based on their own choices about certain topics in this public forum.  You need not share my opinion, just as I need not share yours.

57 minutes ago, Liahona said:

False reporting is a very LOW number...very low.

To be more specific, research has shown it to be between 2% and 10%. See below for further reference.

https://www.nsvrc.org/sites/default/files/Publications_NSVRC_Overview_False-Reporting.pdf

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21164210

I really don't care about what statistics say I have done this decades and there is plenty of issues that had to be addressed over the years..accusations of many sorts, as I have posted earlier happen quite often.

This activity has been sheltered from many things over the years. Look how many here believe politics and the real world don't effect drum corps. We have been in a bubble since the beginning and to some degree still am. Accusations of many sorts do not have to be just about this. I believe false accusations just eventually go away and don't get the public attention for reasons obvious. This is why I believe it MIGHT be a lower number. No need to go further it becomes found out early.

1 hour ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Good question. Some violations could be 'cut & dry'; others not so much.   

We would have to work out some process.  If Corps discovers inappropriate relationship and acts quickly, forcefully, and decisively (including reporting to law enforcement if appropriate), while promptly reporting to DCI what happened, then they would not be DQ'd (for better or worse, SCV 89 overage issue was handled this way).  Any hint of coverup, DQ.  Do not pass Go.  Do not collect $200.

Is it better to create a process, that could later be tweaked due to unforeseen consequences?  Or put a policy in place that has no apparent or standard enforcement mechanism?

IMHO whatever is put in place needs to be consistent and predictable.

My thoughts on the DQ option is that it is so drastic a consequence that no Corps would even let a whiff of an inappropriate relationship anywhere near them.

And maybe a Corps will end up being DQ'd.  That would send a message as well.

Are we serious about this or not?

Well first I would define " WE" there can be very different answers

I really get what you said here and I agree with a lot of it

3 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

I really don't care about what statistics say I have done this decades and there is plenty of issues that had to be addressed over the years..accusations of many sorts, as I have posted earlier happen quite often.

This activity has been sheltered from many things over the years. Look how many here believe politics and the real world don't effect drum corps. We have been in a bubble since the beginning and to some degree still am. Accusations of many sorts do not have to be just about this. I believe false accusations just eventually go away and don't get the public attention for reasons obvious. This is why I believe it MIGHT be a lower number. No need to go further it becomes found out early.

I'd feel a lot more comfortable leaving it up to the professionals...not insiders as you've stated...sorry..disagree...drumcorps in a bubble...agree

1 hour ago, barigirl78 said:

I have heard that within corporate HR departments, one accusation is not enough.  They usually look for a pattern. 

This is particularly true when dealing with issues that are not criminal acts.

Being creepy in relationships or mean to people isn’t criminal. 

I agree, and when it isn't criminal but creepy that's another thing and ( not all ) but sometimes is or can be subjective. I personally in winter programs have separated potential couples for numerous reasons. Mostly because it usually just becomes a pain in the ### .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Liahona said:

False reporting is a very LOW number...very low.

To be more specific, research has shown it to be between 2% and 10%. See below for further reference.

https://www.nsvrc.org/sites/default/files/Publications_NSVRC_Overview_False-Reporting.pdf

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21164210

How could anyone ever possibly know what percentage of reports are false?  The majority of these things cannot be proven either way.  I suspect only a very small percentage of false reports can be proven to be false, and no one is going to record it as false if they don't know one way or the other, so of course there aren't going to be many records of many false reports.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Liahona said:

I'd feel a lot more comfortable leaving it up to the professionals...not insiders as you've stated...sorry..disagree...drumcorps in a bubble...agree

I agree actually. if there is an accusation. especially on a serious act. We in the activity, especially because of the court of public opinion need to leave it to be sorted out by those who actually know what they are doing. Also detached/ 

1 minute ago, GUARDLING said:

I agree actually. if there is an accusation. especially on a serious act. We in the activity, especially because of the court of public opinion need to leave it to be sorted out by those who actually know what they are doing. Also detached/ 

OK..guess we are on same page then...I am definitely not in favor of self-policing...

5 minutes ago, skevinp said:

How could anyone ever possibly know what percentage of reports are false?  The majority of these things cannot be proven either way.  I suspect only a very small percentage of false reports can be proven to be false, and no one is going to record it as false if they don't know one way or the other, so of course there aren't going to be many records of many false reports.  

I did not do the professional study...does the real number matter anyway? I WILL ALWAYS believe the victims until proven otherwise...