Update from the Philadelphia Inquirer

3 minutes ago, Liahona said:

OK..guess we are on same page then...I am definitely not in favor of self-policing...

I think we are, somewhat..lol... I do think we need more awareness and ability to recognize ANY issue. For me, I have always watched carefully not just on this subject but many and on all sides. Remember for many decades drum corps was also a place of 1st freedom for many from parents. We all know, just think back what we might have thought was innocent maybe wasn't so much.

2 hours ago, GUARDLING said:

Who is going to determine the legitimacy of an accusation? Although I do believe people need to be believed of course there can have has been the complete opposite. A case is not cut and dry otherwise courts wouldn't take forever to make a case. 

Everything always seems so easy and cut on dry on the internet discussion boards. If something like this is in the future, safeguards, as well as preparation of evidence, would have to be presented. When you talk about people and how something might affect them caution has to be right up there.

An accusation of rape now, I say just let authorities take over it ( best way ) this activity cannot be judge and jury on this.

yeah the whole fines, dq etc stuff...umm. No. But if people are caught, boom, they need to be gone 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Liahona said:

I have no doubt for this to be true...I do not know the man personally...the biggest problem I have is...he STILL has not yet taken ownership to his mistake...

this. Huge

56 minutes ago, One n Done said:

No sir, I have shared my displeasure about a small group within this community based on their own choices about certain topics in this public forum.  You need not share my opinion, just as I need not share yours.

no we do not need to disagree. You are however mistaking how people feel on this issue greatly. 

43 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

I really don't care about what statistics say I have done this decades and there is plenty of issues that had to be addressed over the years..accusations of many sorts, as I have posted earlier happen quite often.

This activity has been sheltered from many things over the years. Look how many here believe politics and the real world don't effect drum corps. We have been in a bubble since the beginning and to some degree still am. Accusations of many sorts do not have to be just about this. I believe false accusations just eventually go away and don't get the public attention for reasons obvious. This is why I believe it MIGHT be a lower number. No need to go further it becomes found out early.

agree to a point as one falsely accused. In fact my biggest issue isn't what Joel did, pathetic as it is...it's how Fred wasn't open and honest with the members and parents about it

• Like 2

Just now, Jeff Ream said:

no we do not need to disagree. You are however mistaking how people feel on this issue greatly. 

I would agree with both of you. Let's remember the question was asked several times was the outrage of the situation or the man, was the issue the poor victims or that of the man who helped change the activity. I think there without a doubt was both.

2 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

agree to a point as one falsely accused. In fact my biggest issue isn't what Joel did, pathetic as it is...it's how Fred wasn't open and honest with the members and parents about it

I was actually thinking of you and others when I wrote it. I agree with you on the rest.

2 hours ago, barigirl78 said:

I have heard that within corporate HR departments, one accusation is not enough.  They usually look for a pattern. 

This is particularly true when dealing with issues that are not criminal acts.

Being creepy in relationships or mean to people isn’t criminal. 

Yes, but it is unprofessional and can definitely be grounds for termination if there's a real pattern of it. Where I work- there was a guy they tried to straighten out. Even the Union tried. One stupid comment too many, and his 30 an hour job was gone, and he was on the street. And he wasn't that far from probably retiring with a nice pension. IIRC... I think it was his third or 4th humdinger to a young lady.

1 hour ago, skevinp said:

How could anyone ever possibly know what percentage of reports are false?  The majority of these things cannot be proven either way.  I suspect only a very small percentage of false reports can be proven to be false, and no one is going to record it as false if they don't know one way or the other, so of course there aren't going to be many records of many false reports.  

I suggest reading this one that was linked:

https://www.nsvrc.org/sites/default/files/Publications_NSVRC_Overview_False-Reporting.pdf

I think it will give the reader some pause for serious thought, it's I think very fair and tries hard to look at all the contingencies and aspects of the issue, and has footnotes and research.

DCI cannot continue without extensive oversight from some sort of central authority that outlines and enforces explicit rules for hiring and monitoring of personnel. 

I'm not being prescriptive, I'm being descriptive. 

If corps want to describe themselves as educational institutions, they need to work towards establishing the highest standards of professional practice for any educational institution, not the minimum to avoid litigation. 

• Thanks 2