Drum Corps Map and Daily Rundown

2 hours ago, cowtown said:

I thought more corps would be moved in now, guess it's that age /school thing

It's funny...I was late getting this thread started because I was caught offguard by how early (by my estimation) corps were moving in. I guess I was still used to the days when Memorial Day weekend was a common starting point. As of today, we have 15 corps moved in and 9 corps not moved in. 14 of the 15 corps moved in are the top 14 in the LOS era. Genesis is the one lower corps already in spring training.

Remaining move-in dates:
The Academy - May 25
Jersey Surf - June 8
Mandarins - May 25
Music City - May 28
Oregon Crusaders - June 1
Pacific Crest - June 2
Pioneer - May 25
Seattle Cascades - June 15
Spirit of Atlanta - May 25

Looking at the list, I bet you are onto something about the average age of the corps members and the move in dates. If anyone has a way to get the average age of each corps, I'd be happy to do a correlation analysis!

• Like 2

Unfortunately, the school system on the West Coast gets out much later than most!  Last year, some didn't get out until the 26th of June!!  Makes it tough for those members still in high school who want to march.  We were lucky enough to have a supportive administration to excuse my son...almost a full month early. :) :)

• Like 3

9 hours ago, DCIat14 said:

Unfortunately, the school system on the West Coast gets out much later than most!  Last year, some didn't get out until the 26th of June!!  Makes it tough for those members still in high school who want to march.  We were lucky enough to have a supportive administration to excuse my son...almost a full month early. :) :)

It’s the same with NYS. That’s partly why we don’t have a single DCI corps in the state (although we do have a few DCA corps).

10 hours ago, DCIat14 said:

Unfortunately, the school system on the West Coast gets out much later than most!  Last year, some didn't get out until the 26th of June!!  Makes it tough for those members still in high school who want to march.  We were lucky enough to have a supportive administration to excuse my son...almost a full month early. :) :)

It’s the same with NYS. That’s partly why we don’t have a single DCI corps in the state (although we do have a few DCA corps).ru

Ditto here in Ct and many areas of New England. School calendars demand 180 days of classroom instruction and most calendars in this part of the country are written for 190 days to account for ice/snow cancellations, etc. This month we even had 4 tornadoes devastate 11 communities with two deaths. School districts here are seeking exemption from the State requirement as the teachers' union contract won't allow an extension into July (new fiscal year.)

Also growing more prominent on the post-secondary level is the shift by colleges to maximize every week of the calendar; some schools shifting to trimesters and others to two semesters with required mini-courses, focus periods, and internships between.  

There was a time for several decades before DCI that the drum corps "season" with contests went (weekend only) from Memorial Day (May 30th) to Labor Day or after with schools not starting back East until after Labor Day. The NCAA schedule coupled with the NFL schedule now dictate the current version of DCI on account of all those marching band woodwind folk.

Edited by xandandl

May 25, 2018

Today's a big day with four more corps moving in, bringing the grand total to 19 of 24.

The Academy moves into Apache Junction, AZ with an intent to prove that 2016's finals' performance was not an anomaly. The corps has an average placement of 14.8 in the Lucas Oil Stadium-era and finished in 14th in 2017.

M16WyZI.jpg

Mandarins move into Sacramento, CA. This corps has a wide range of performance placement in the LOS-era with a low of 23 (2012) and a high of 13 (2017). Like The Academy, Mandarins is looking to establish itself as a finalist contender.

rpwj7bP.jpg

Pioneer moves into Milwaukee, WI coming off the corps' lowest placement in LOS history in 2017 (33rd).

xSx1cZH.jpg

Spirit of Atlanta moves into Stockbridge, GA. With four years in a row of below-LOS average performances, the corps looks to return to its previous days as a finalist contender.

Fn9ybI0.jpg

Edited by DrumCorpsRadio
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, DrumCorpsRadio said:

May 25, 2018

Today's a big day with four more corps moving in, bringing the grand total to 19 of 24.

The Academy moves into Apache Junction, AZ with an intent to prove that 2016's finals' performance was not an anomaly. The corps has an average placement of 14.8 in the Lucas Oil Stadium-era and finished in 14th in 2017.

M16WyZI.jpg

Mandarins move into Sacramento, CA. This corps has a wide range of performance placement in the LOS-era with a low of 23 (2012) and a high of 13 (2017). Like The Academy, Mandarins is looking to establish itself as a finalist contender.

rpwj7bP.jpg

Pioneer moves into Milwaukee, WI coming off the corps' lowest placement in LOS history in 2017 (33rd).

xSx1cZH.jpg

Spirit of Atlanta moves into Stockbridge, GA. With four years in a row of below-LOS average performances, the corps looks to return to its previous days as a finalist contender.

Fn9ybI0.jpg

My goodness what painstaking work you’ve done with the flags.  Wow!  Kudos to you! 

13 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

My goodness what painstaking work you’ve done with the flags.  Wow!  Kudos to you! 

Full disclosure - they were a gift from my girlfriend. 

• Like 4