In The News – Amid Sexual-Misconduct Scandal, A New Code Of Conduct For Drum Corps

Yep like the Olympic Doctor who kept molesting while under investigation 24 more were assaulted is that what you mean by knee jerk?

It is what you would expect from a top down mansplaining organization Been around Drum Corps for 55 years, have not seen anything like this. DCI has totally ignored anything controversial in the past by ducking their heads in the sand and trolling posts like this. They have not handled their responsibility in todays society. What has dci ever done to promote diversity, where are the women and people of color? The kids deserve better than a hollow policy statement. DCI can not be a microcosm of society until it steps up and provides trusted leadership and guidance that todays society demands from a diverse leadership team.

Who is stepping up to reimburse Cadet members who lost money on prepaid flights to the California camp? Why no top 15 in finals? Why so many redactions on the Blu-rays, could it be Chris Isaak did not want a witch getting her head chopped off while singing his song? Now Sounds of Silence is inappropriate but burning witches is OK even if it does ruin the DVD is that the new policy, no "Sounds of Silence"? Although Mandarins, Legends, Fusion Corps and Bayou City Blues playing Sounds of Silence last year was bordering on Simon & Garfunkel abuse, go figure. 

Anyway see you on the Fifty and don't leave your seat or you will need to fight to get it back. Is it just too hard (expensive) to protect the seats between the 35s from seat grabbers before it causes some violence and you are forced to react?      

• Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, Bluzes said:

Yep like the Olympic Doctor who kept molesting while under investigation 24 more were assaulted is that what you mean by knee jerk?

It is what you would expect from a top down mansplaining organization Been around Drum Corps for 55 years, have not seen anything like this. DCI has totally ignored anything controversial in the past by ducking their heads in the sand and trolling posts like this. They have not handled their responsibility in todays society. What has dci ever done to promote diversity, where are the women and people of color? The kids deserve better than a hollow policy statement. DCI can not be a microcosm of society until it steps up and provides trusted leadership and guidance that todays society demands from a diverse leadership team.

Who is stepping up to reimburse Cadet members who lost money on prepaid flights to the California camp? Why no top 15 in finals? Why so many redactions on the Blu-rays, could it be Chris Isaak did not want a witch getting her head chopped off while singing his song? Now Sounds of Silence is inappropriate but burning witches is OK even if it does ruin the DVD is that the new policy, no "Sounds of Silence"? Although Mandarins, Legends, Fusion Corps and Bayou City Blues playing Sounds of Silence last year was bordering on Simon & Garfunkel abuse, go figure. 

Anyway see you on the Fifty and don't leave your seat or you will need to fight to get it back. Is it just too hard (expensive) to protect the seats between the 35s from seat grabbers before it causes some violence and you are forced to react?      

That was a pretty good stream of consciousness right there. I agree with some of it, and disagree with some of it. But enjoyed all of it. 

• Like 7

4 hours ago, Jim Schehr said:

Selective outrage 

I'm not outraged.

3 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

How do you do this without preventing victims from exercising their rights of free speech? 

So the alleged victims right to free speech is more important than the alleged perpetrators right to due process?

1 hour ago, yogitom said:

So the alleged victims right to free speech is more important than the alleged perpetrators right to due process?

Due process?  What are you talking about?  A criminal charge?  I thought this was about rules set forth by a private organization. You break them, you get the boot. What due process are you talking about?  I must be missing the point. It's not like DCI is putting on a trial. 

Edited by HockeyDad
  • Thanks 3

Just now, HockeyDad said:

Due process?  What are you talking about?  A criminal charge?  I thought this a was about rules set forth by a private organization. You break them, you get the boot. What due process are you talking about?  I must be missing the point. 

3 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

Due process?  What are you talking about?  A criminal charge?  I thought this a was about rules set forth by a private organization. You break them, you get the boot. What due process are you talking about?  I must be missing the point. 

I agree. If it's PROVEN you broke them, not just accusations.That's the point I'm trying to make. It just seems that in this #Me Too culture, accusations are all that is needed to ruin someone and that's not right.

3 hours ago, Bluzes said:

You need an editor.

Can you define mansplaining for me?

Can you at least look at the staff lists of each of the corps for me?

Starting with the Academy, they have a number of women and non white staff members.

A majority of the Blue Devils Front Office is female.

go on from there...

Well, in this country, free speech gets a lot of leeway. If you've abused me, I have the right to say so publicly. If you haven't abused me and I say so publicly, your recourse is a lawsuit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I agree. If it's PROVEN you broke them, not just accusations.That's the point I'm trying to make. It just seems that in this #Me Too culture, accusations are all that is needed to ruin someone and that's not right.

Prior to the #MeToo movement, lots of victims' lives, over many decades, were ruined, but we just didn't know it, because all too often the default assumption among the public and among those to whom offenders should have been reported, was that accusers were lying or at best, that such abuse was no big deal.

Think of George Hopkins's victims, who have been living with a private shame and anguish for so long.

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Minimaster said:

Can you at least look at the staff lists of each of the corps for me?

Starting with the Academy, they have a number of women and non white staff members.

A majority of the Blue Devils Front Office is female.

Good for Blue Devils and Academy for working to move drum corps into the 21st century then. But how many corps directors are women? If that number is less than 40%, as I believe it is, that suggests there has been some historical bias in the activity, albeit one that is non-explicit and for the most part not consciously intended, that assumes women just can't hack it, which manifests in discouraging them from ever getting on a leadership track.

• Thanks 2