In The News – Amid Sexual-Misconduct Scandal, A New Code Of Conduct For Drum Corps

On 5/23/2018 at 4:17 PM, GUARDLING said:

Yes it did happen. Parents had no issue with it at the time either, AS a matter of fact MANY didn't even believe the person did the crime and was covering for someone else. This director had huge support

Man... was that ever a convoluted, complex situation with that individual, and that corps.

That same individual did not do his corps any favors by being openly hostile to the very idea of DCI.  Some might say that such open contempt came back to bite him and his corps, hard, in 1975.  One of the all-time "what if" scenarios in drum corps history.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Yup.  Before it was Bob Barker it was Bob Hope. Star of Indiana fell for it big-time in 1987.  Neophytes.

Heh... I remember the congressmen who took to the floor of the House to pay tribute to Bob Hope, on word of Hope's passing.

Except Hope was, in fact, still alive and well. Oops. :tongue:

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, jasgre2000 said:

That too, but at a minimum DCI needs to start taking its oversight role seriously and not just pretend like their hands are tied.  That includes setting up a mechanism to allow reporting directly to DCI.  I understand that DCI is governed by its member corps.  That’s how almost every organization of its type is structured (e.g., NCAA, NFL, ETC.). If it’s true that the member corps won’t step up and give DCI some teeth to police this kind of stuff, things are far worse than I ever imagined.

Yes, both are good ideas.  DCI should have an internal reporting process for the types of internal grievances that DCI can fairly/effectively referee.  And for issues that fall in the whistleblower category, there should be a fourth party reporting process in place. 

Take the George Hopkins situation as an example.  His corps partnered financially with DCI.  He participated in DCI governance and had considerable influence.  Would you feel assured that if you reported directly to DCI, that they would put conflict of all-that-interest aside and listen to you?

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

That may have been the master plan of the old YEA BOD.  Just speculating...

not even who i was refering to, but you're right

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

That may have been the master plan of the old YEA BOD.  Just speculating...

Ding, Ding, Ding, We have a winner. And that is why the old BOD fought like hell to stay in place. New board was ready to go by Sunday. Old board hung on until late Tuesday. Almost brought the whole organization down as a result. Thankfully, that did not happen, but it was close.

• Thanks 2

18 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

The George Hopkins scandal and subsequent DCI reforms spun to prominence in the wake of the Me Too movement, itself sparked by revelations last fall against legendary movie producer Harvey Weinstein, so I think it's worth noting that Weinstein will surrender to police tomorrow on charges of rape.

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2018/05/24/614270727/harvey-weinstein-will-turn-himself-in-on-rape-sexual-assault-charges

That said, among those swept up in post-Weinstein scandals was George Takei, and this new examination of that incident (or non-incident) is a good reminder of why reporting should always be careful. Note also near the end how it's mentioned that one reporter, who died a couple years ago, twice was on the verge of publishing a Weinstein story but didn't quite have enough evidence to pull the trigger. Nadolny seems to have been appropriately careful so far in her reporting, thankfully.

http://observer.com/2018/05/george-takei-accuser-scott-brunton-changed-his-story-of-drugs-assault/amp/

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone else reported on the nationwide DCI info session on this?  Sorry, if I missed it.

https://www.dci.org/news/participant-safety-emphasized-at-groundbreaking-nationwide-summit

• Like 3

18 hours ago, CrownBariDad said:

Has anyone else reported on the nationwide DCI info session on this?  Sorry, if I missed it.

https://www.dci.org/news/participant-safety-emphasized-at-groundbreaking-nationwide-summit

Hit Pause... Navy calls it a stand down but it is only a start as still will be those who think it does not apply to them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/19/2018 at 5:19 PM, yogitom said:

I agree. If it's PROVEN you broke them, not just accusations.That's the point I'm trying to make. It just seems that in this #Me Too culture, accusations are all that is needed to ruin someone and that's not right.

such an ignorant comment