In The News – Drum Corps Chairman Resigns Amid Scrutiny Of His Hiring Of Disgraced Teacher

21 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

I thought that the Inquirer article said that just a week earlier, Moody had told Genesis's director, Chris Magonigal, that he would be touring with Crossmen this summer.

Well... Moody was off the website in mid-April. I cannot speak to what Moody said to the Genesis director and the reported did say the comment was made the week prior to the reporting. But the fact that Moody was leaving or had gone was certainly telegraphed. And Morrison's communication to the families/supporters was he had planned to announce this chance at move in. That said... it is somewhat murky.

Blows my mind that anyone can defend this behavior. Fred knowingly risked (as a staff, by association) our careers, the corps, himself personally and the safety of the members for one Joel Moody. Nobody is worth that. NOBODY.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 5

1 hour ago, Amil Muzz said:

When adults make adult problems, a kid's problem, that's a complete failure of trust. Period. End of story. Clear enough? This was a situation that was absolutely going to become a problem at some point. And here we ####### are aren't we. Unwarranted??? You don't know what you are talking about sir.

That's it. Hammer, meet nail.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, garfield said:

Please be more specific about the "issues" to which you are referring.

And, for six years, nobody brought to the director any issues that compelled him to act.

In the end, the concerns of staff were unwarranted, weren't they?  No issues were reported were they?

And to let you know that I'm not blind to your point, I agree that Morrison SHOULD have had a reporting policy that removed him from the process so his staff would not presume his ignoring them was justification for not raising "issues".

have you read the article? Staff members raised concerns. other directors raised concerns. and then he behaved in ways that affected women in negative ways. Contact in ways that made them feel uncomfortable. forms of subtle retaliation because one decided to date someone else.

and the fact the staff all felt there was no way Morrison would listen, because he knew Moodys past and was ok with it....and never once disclosed it in any upfront and honest way. he just shut down any conversation about it. The same for his wife....both on the Board as well.

Then to add to the hypocrisy, Morrison apparently as chairman of the DCI Board helped usher in the new policy...while quietly showing Moody the door knowing the #### was about to hit the fan.

yet you keep defending Morrison. 

and no their concerns weren't unwarranted. The issues happened,and they felt they had no way to report it to the corps leadership and be taken seriously. The only way people felt safe coming out about it was because of the Hopkins story exploded. Had that not happened, Moody was down in Texas continuing on his happy way...and probably creating more uncomfortable situations, and having the blessing of a director that didn't want to hear about it.

• Thanks 3

2 hours ago, MusicManNJ said:

One this point... this is incorrect. Moody had been removed prior to the article coming out. I would put the impetus on the original Inquirer story re: GH. It was after this series of articles and before the one focusing on Moody that he was let go. 

correct. if it hadn't been for the Hopkins story exploding, he would still be there.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, garfield said:

Ahh, but it was Morrison who was drafting the new DCI policy as a direct result of the Inquirer "poking around", so it's logical that it was he who took it to Moody with the (new) realization that the activity was going to implement a policy that is contrary to his decision in 2012.  And considering the sensitivity of the subject, it's perfectly reasonable to believe that Moody thanked Morrison for his support but realized the activity as a whole was aligned against him and he had nothing left to do except resign and move on.

All speculation on my part but, as is "plausible deniability", my explanation has at least as much veracity as any other posited here.

My Mom taught me that everyone gets the benefit of the doubt the first time and, to my knowledge, this is the first time that Morrison has needed that benefit on this subject.  And your mileage may vary.

I hope when each of us here deserves that benefit that someone will provide it to us.  

The policy isn’t contrary to his 2012 decision. The policy has no background check or hiring standards at all.  You really should read it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

I agree, of course, that parents should be vigilant in knowing who they are entrusting their children too when they allow them to Jon a corps, but I am honestly baffled by the idea that neither the corps nor DCI bear any responsibility for ensuring the safety of corps members, whether they are minors or not.  That should be the top priority, not giving a known sex offender a “second chance.”

6 hours ago, garfield said:

, for six years, nobody brought to the director any issues that compelled him to act.

In the end, the concerns of staff were unwarranted, weren't they?  No issues were reported were they?

Stop......... just................ just stop, ok ?  

4 hours ago, MusicManNJ said:

One this point... this is incorrect. Moody had been removed prior to the article coming out. I would put the impetus on the original Inquirer story re: GH. It was after this series of articles and before the one focusing on Moody that he was let go. 

In retrospect, I do believe you have the timeline correct it would appear. Morrisson essentially was well aware of Moody's repetitive sex texting to  H.S. female and the revocation of his teaching license for a 5 year period. Morrison hired Moody during the 5 year teaching license revocation timeframe. For context during this timeline, Moody was deemed a risk  to be in any school classroom, and thus was barred from being there. Fred Morrison, the Crossmen Corps Director knew about the sexual misconduct and the disbarring from the schools, but decided to hire Moody anyway and allow him to travel from school to schools  on day and night trips for 9 weeks in the summer. No background checks were needed for the disclosure of Moody's disgusting past with the H.S. female student as Morrison admitted he knew of it, and hired the guy anyway. Most importantly, the reporting in the press seems to indicate that when the subject of Moody being there was brought up as being a risk not worth taking ( by more than one there at the Crossmen ) Morrison's reaction reportedly was not to explain it, nor attempt to justify it. The report stated that he would cut off conversation about this curious decision to take on this huge risk. The quote was " he did not want to further talk about it  ", He  made that clear to staffers, and others.

The timeline that set in motion the departure of Moody from the Crossmen was indeed the revelations in the national press about the alleged sexual assaults by George Hopkins at YEA/ Cadets.  If we recall, the press report was that Moody was getting ready to go on on summer tour once again with the Crossmen. Had the GH alleged sexual assaults not surfaced, its likely that Moody would still be at the Crossmen tonite. Morrison defended the Moody hire with Moody's retention throughout. Except when the news media  began investigating DCI. Then Morrison quickly decided he needed to do a 180,. He decided he needed to be further away from Moody now than all the states public schools decided they needed to be away from Moody. Moody now suddenly became a risk liability to MORRISON..  But Morrison was ok having the young marchers, recent age outs, and young staffers of his Crossmen Corps within elbow's length of Moody on summer tours for several years.. How ironic... and how sad.   People on several occasions apparently told Morrison that Moody was a huge risk, and not worth taking. The former Chairmen of the Board of Directors of DCI found out the hard way, how right they were.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1