In The News – Drum Corps Chairman Resigns Amid Scrutiny Of His Hiring Of Disgraced Teacher

2 minutes ago, Various said:

Interesting.  Even more interesting is that the "concerned" people didn't take it further when they were refused intercession.  What stopped them?

Carol

We brought a situation to the attention of several powers that be in 2012.  We were either ignored or threatened.  The only assumption we were left with was that everyone was fine with the status quo and we were just beating our heads against the wall.  So we gave up. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Good question at this point would be who to go to next? Hopefully today DCI would be a good place. Back then (a whole few weeks ago) might have been police but if victim not willing to go further....

We actually tried that.  We were told that if the corps was ok with it, there was nothing they could do.  We even pointed out that he was on school property which was prohibited by the lifetime sex offender registry status. 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

We actually tried that.  We were told that if the corps was ok with it, there was nothing they could do.  We even pointed out that he was on school property which was prohibited by the lifetime sex offender registry status. 

Ok we’re the same age so you should get the reference... thinking Freddy Prinz saying “not my yob (job)”.

• Like 1

Just now, JimF-LowBari said:

Ok we’re the same age so you should get the reference... thinking Freddy Prinz saying “not my yob (job)”.

Oh absolutely.  They just wanted us to shut up and leave them alone. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Various said:

Interesting.  Even more interesting is that the "concerned" people didn't take it further when they were refused intercession.  What stopped them?

Carol

who else do you go to? DCI had no policy at the time. The corps director was also chairman of the board for the corps, and his wife was on the board. The story about Moddy had been published here when Teal hired him, but given how the leadership of DCI trashes DCP ( though they ALL read it....trust me, I have talked to enough of them to know they do).....what else could they do? Given the mindset of the activity at the time, they'd have been black balled

• Like 2

I will restate now what I have said before - DCI needs a complete restructure from a management and governance standpoint, and frankly, if you donate any money to them now, you are just saying "nothing is wrong".  I am blown away that Crossmen are run this way ( and probably many others), and that nothing has been done about it.  DCI is powerless and useless.  Just sad.

• Thanks 4

Question for "Amil Muzz":  Should Mr. Morrison step down as director of Crossmen?  You have skin in the game, so I'm very interested in your opinion. Thanks. 

2 hours ago, Various said:

You're probably right, Mike.  I just wonder sometimes.   Knowing his history, would a female Crossmen Director have elected to give the person in question another chance?  Especially if there were other qualified individuals.  

Carol 

I think that would depend on the person's beliefs or motivations. Some probably would. Most probably would not. And to Mike's original point... this is clearly conjecture on my part.