In The News – Drum Corps Chairman Resigns Amid Scrutiny Of His Hiring Of Disgraced Teacher

40 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

Before much of this DCI Corps mess developed, there were lengthy discussions here on DCP suggesting that DCI HQ. essentially had little to no legal authority over the actions of its member Corps. That discussion defending the essential powerlessness of DCI HQ went on for days and days on here too.  Some were unconviced of DCI HQ' legal authority. It took DCI HQ stepping in to convince them otherwise. DCI HQ put one of its organization's premier elite Corps on Probation, spelling out specific steps it would needed by that Corps to convince DCI HQ of its responsibleness that would allow that Corps probation in DCI to be lifted. DCI HQ was not the implied powerless entity suggested in some quarters at all. DCI HQ, even told the new YEA Board that DCI HQ was going to have access to that Corps financials too as part of DCI HQ probationary status it imposed upon this Corps.

The one place where I can envision DCI having power is over the Drum Corps Rules (Blue Book) themselves.

Age requirements are in the Blue Book & can get a Corps DQ'd; Put the DFTK-Rules-Aegis in the Blue Book as well

10 hours ago, BRASSO said:

Morrison hired Moody during the 5 year teaching license revocation timeframe. For context during this timeline, Moody was deemed a risk  to be in any school classroom, and thus was barred from being there. Fred Morrison, the Crossmen Corps Director knew about the sexual misconduct and the disbarring from the schools, but decided to hire Moody anyway and allow him to travel from school to schools  on day and night trips for 9 weeks in the summer.

And I would wager that the principal of the Florida high school that housed Crossmen for the 2012 Orlando show wouldn't have been particularly pleased to know that a guy whose Florida teaching license had been revoked was spending time teaching at - and living in - his high school, even if it was just a day or two.

And I would also wager that if the principal had found out, he likely wouldn't be so willing to house a corps the next time he is asked, in which case Morrison's ill advised hire could have had a negative affect on other corps in the future as well.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, oldsoprano said:

And I would wager that the principal of the Florida high school that housed Crossmen for the 2012 Orlando show wouldn't have been particularly pleased to know that a guy whose Florida teaching license had been revoked was spending time teaching at - and living in - his high school, even if it was just a day or two.

And I would also wager that if the principal had found out, he likely wouldn't be so willing to house a corps the next time he is asked, in which case Morrison's ill advised hire could have had a negative affect on other corps in the future as well.

Don’t forget the taxpayers in the “not too happy to have corps back” mix. Not to mention the neighbors

Edited by JimF-LowBari

2 hours ago, MusicManNJ said:

I agree with your last sentence. My point is... how many instances have you personally had where the boss does not want to discuss something and expects everyone to move on. I have seen this a lot throughout my career. So the fact that he made a decision, folks challenged the decision, he didn't;t want to discuss it and expected people to either follow his instructions or move out is not an unusual scenario. The stakes were certainly higher given the topic... but action by a CEO like this is not unusual (in my experience). 

in the real business world, if the issue the boss refuses to discuss is serious enough, you often have an HR department you can take your concerns to. In this drum corps, you had the director and his wife, who were also two of the board members.

There was no backup plan or contingency. it was in essence a dictatorship. And who'd have thought when YEA sold Crossmen, some of the management practices would be the same, regardless of the names changing

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Quad Aces said:

I mentioned this before - what makes Moody so special that he warrants this kind of consideration?  I don’t know him, but Fred had to know this hiring would be controversial, if people realized Moody’s background.  Maybe that’s what Fred was counting on, that no one would find out his history (which would be incredibly naive nonetheless).

What does Moody bring to the table that others without the tainted history could not have?

Fred easily should have had the foresight to realize that this move would put him and the corps in a bad position, and yet he did it anyway.  So he either didn’t care about the consequences, or didn’t realize all this would happen.  Either way is bad.

What makes Moody so special to warrant all of this?

As I said before, there's a glut of talent out there. My guess is that there were at least one to two dozen people who could do that job that didn't have baggage attached. I don't get it, either.

17 minutes ago, BigW said:

As I said before, there's a glut of talent out there. My guess is that there were at least one to two dozen people who could do that job that didn't have baggage attached. I don't get it, either.

I was chastised when all this started when I said " don't be so sure " when I said people will still hire others with an issue or past issues especially if they think whatever they bring to the table pushes their own agenda forward...Seems when this came out I was quite right. Moving forward it may be a bit different but we shall see. Oh Well

28 minutes ago, BigW said:

I do not know Morrison at all (Amil????). How much of his decision-making and pushback on subsequent discussion was based on his internal deep-seated core attitudes and beliefs at that time? Again, I have no direct knowledge of the man, but some of the peripheral comments make me wonder.

Hopefully, in today's new environment that sort of thing becomes a well-buried relic of the past. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I read this thread in an attempt to educate myself about this current issue.  I find much speculation when what matters, in my judgment, are facts.  I also find it very disturbing that the majority of the writers are male.  Isn't that how this all started?

Carol 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Various said:

I read this thread in an attempt to educate myself about this current issue.  I find much speculation when what matters, in my judgment, are facts.  I also find it very disturbing that the majority of the writers are male.  Isn't that how this all started?

Carol 

Carol,

My guess is that most of the posters...though not all...are male in general on DCP. Terri is a shining example of a woman who is posting. Some of the posters who are not using actual names may be female, but my guess is the large majority posting on DCP overall are male, so it is not a surprise in this thread as well. 

As for speculation...a lot of the posting in this thread is speculative as there are not a lot of facts. The facts that do exist get reposted  over and over and expanded on with speculation that fits the particular poster's POV. That is the nature of these types of threads...of social media in general. I know I have done exactly that. 

Edited by MikeD
  • Like 4

You're probably right, Mike.  I just wonder sometimes.   Knowing his history, would a female Crossmen Director have elected to give the person in question another chance?  Especially if there were other qualified individuals.  

Carol