In The News – Drum Corps Chairman Resigns Amid Scrutiny Of His Hiring Of Disgraced Teacher

Anyone posting here that thinks Fred is anything but a responsible, stand up man is a fool. He has poured his life into making the Crossmen viable again - not to mention a good portion of his own hard earned fortune. Shame on you. 

Edited by SFZFAN
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

10 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

No, I think you're wrong about garfield here. In his most recent response, he does not gloss over that point. He says explicitly that if he were a parent in a situation like this, then the director should "have the opportunity to explain to me both why he hired this person and why he felt comfortable not informing me" (emphasis added), and that, depending on what the director said, and on how the past offender had behaved since being hired, he very well might be satisfied that giving someone like Moody a second chance was the right decision.

I disagree--and I would point to the fact that most schools would not hire someone with Moody's history (if they were aware of it), but garfield answered the question fairly and deserves credit for it.

he does. my post referred to the many previous discussions of that same thing

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KeithHall said:

So here's a thought.....are all corps in DCI AND DCA taking a look at their staff and management team? If I were a parent I would be calling for that! You can't tell me there are only 2 issues in drum corps! We all know things like this have been happening for years/decades!

I know some are. And to be honest, I know a few DCA corps who were well ahead of the game on getting things in place to avoid these issues.

Edited by Jeff Ream
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, garfield said:

Yea, see, we don't know this.

It's entirely possible that he has adjusted his stance, but it's also entirely possible that he simply stepped aside for the reasons he stated, that his personal beliefs should not be a distraction to the greater activity.

Moody is gone, certainly, but my understanding is that Morrison's decision was based on strong personal beliefs and was not made lightly.  I suspect his personal beliefs are not as malleable as to be "adjusted" by pitchforks and a baying crowd.

Some say that his convictions warrant his removal from X-men.

that I havent said. I do feel accountability needs to be owned. I want Crossmen to thrive and survive. my little girl loves sleeping in her Crossmen Tshirt. She can play the Thurston lick and knows it when she hears it.

she's also 6 and doesnt understand any of this. safety drills at school still confuse her (why would we have to be safe...we're at school!)

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, mingusmonk said:

Are is integrity and convictions up for change? Can they develop? Ultimately, would he do this again?

(EDIT: Want to make it clear that I am not suggesting a fundamental change in belief system, but a change within limits. Balancing his personal drive to provide second chances with the safety of the youth within his charge)

It seems obvious that people people don't understand the danger of his actions. Including himself ... at least, until hopefully now. Would his convictions compel him to do this again?

Sean King took the fall at YEA despite possibly not knowing specifics of Hop's behavior. 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, SFZFAN said:

Anyone posting here that thinks Fred is anything but a responsible, stand up man is a fool. He has poured his life into making the Crossmen viable again - not to mention a good portion of his ow hard earned fortune. Shame on you. 

and here is where i'll earn Crossmen fan hatred but

integrity doesnt mean keeping this information hidden from kids and parents for 6 years.

• Thanks 4

5 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

and here is where i'll earn Crossmen fan hatred but

integrity doesnt mean keeping this information hidden from kids and parents for 6 years.

Interesting.  Some probably say that it was his integrity that prompted him to hire Moody in the first place.

You're not wrong, Jeff.  Your conviction in your beliefs is high.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, SFZFAN said:

Anyone posting here that thinks Fred is anything but a responsible, stand up man is a fool. He has poured his life into making the Crossmen viable again - not to mention a good portion of his ow hard earned fortune. Shame on you. 

Still a human being who imo made a huge mistake by not telling people one of the staff had issues in their history

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Sorry but how much support will it generate or lose when people find out he hid Moody’s background. 

That's the flip side here, I agree.

Like I said in another, now-closed thread... in my opinion, Fred is a good man who made a bad mistake.

How this all eventually shakes out, I have no idea.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

That's the flip side here, I agree.

Like I said in another, now-closed thread... in my opinion, Fred is a good man who made a bad mistake.

How this all eventually shakes out, I have no idea.

Agree and really feel it is up to corps board to decide how this affects the corps now and in the future. Next years numbers might be interesting.

My question as an outsider is what have the members and families have been told. A big “with hind sight this was a mistake sorry” would go a long way for me.