In The News – Drum Corps Chairman Resigns Amid Scrutiny Of His Hiring Of Disgraced Teacher

24 minutes ago, Quad Aces said:

So I just want to make sure I have this straight.

Is Joel Moody still the Assistant Director of the Crossmen?

if so, then didn’t Fred Morrison just *add* to the distraction by making people wonder why he stepped down from DCI Chairman and not Crossmen, as well as retaining Joel?

How does this prevent more distraction??

Without knowing Joel Moody myself, what is so special about him that warrants staying on in a youth activity after he lost his teaching license to teach youth?  He can’t teach youth in a school but can in DCI??

Joel Moody is no longer with the Crossmen. I think he left on May 1, or something like that.

Edited by Fran Haring

Maybe going into pre-tour without an executive director was deemed the bigger concern. Let the Crossmen figure out their own stuff.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

Yup. They were ok that he withheld information from students and parents since 2012. 

Yes, yes they did.  And we're all pretty certain that you'll never work for him or buy him a beer.  And that's OK.

You are a great guy with a deep passion.  I would never hold that against someone, even if we disagree.

1 hour ago, Quad Aces said:

So I just want to make sure I have this straight.

Is Joel Moody still the Assistant Director of the Crossmen?

if so, then didn’t Fred Morrison just *add* to the distraction by making people wonder why he stepped down from DCI Chairman and not Crossmen, as well as retaining Joel?

How does this prevent more distraction??

Without knowing Joel Moody myself, what is so special about him that warrants staying on in a youth activity after he lost his teaching license to teach youth?  He can’t teach youth in a school but can in DCI??

Short stop: Moody is no longer there.  Do I need to read the rest of your post?

Your last sentence has me flummoxed...  Processing...

5 minutes ago, garfield said:

Yes, yes they did.  And we're all pretty certain that you'll never work for him or buy him a beer.  And that's OK.

You are a great guy with a deep passion.  I would never hold that against someone, even if we disagree.

You're under no obligation to answer, but to repeat a question I asked you in another now-closed thread, where you mentioned the high school band your daughter plays in:

If Moody had been the assistant director of her band, and if you learned from a media report, and not by any disclosure from the band's director before your daughter joined the band, that he had previously been fired from a directing position and lost a teaching license in Florida after sending sexually explicit texts to a student, what would your reaction be?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

You're under no obligation to answer, but to repeat a question I asked you in another now-closed thread, where you mentioned the high school band your daughter plays in:

If Moody had been the assistant director of her band, and if you learned from a media report, and not by any disclosure from the band's director before your daughter joined the band, that he had previously been fired from a directing position and lost a teaching license in Florida after sending sexually explicit texts to a student, what would your reaction be?

Very good question.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Nawtghhh...echhh...ecchhh...  Now hold on young whipper-snapper...

You jumped into a comment meant to be very nice between Ream and me with a baited trap thrown at my feet as if I have no choice but to step in it.

That's your mistake.

I've already answered your question but, apparently "I'd observe the circumstances and data at the moment" is not good enough, and not with any presumption that what I believe should replace what anyone else believes, and although I reserve the right to believe your position wrong and work to undermine its widespread adoption...

First, I trust my daughter's band director.  And, through years of direct contact, I've seen him and his co-director work.  I have every reason possible to believe that every, single one of the people I know involved with my daughter is a 100% outstanding and upstanding individual.  I and you know ALL of them involved, including the very prominent person of a Top-2 DCI drum corps who interacts DIRECTLY with her, who you know personally.  I trust, I TRUST that this group (akin to the executive and governance staff of a corps) would not introduce an unnecessary danger to my kid.  That's number one.

Number two, I would ask the person who made the final decision for the basis of his decision.  THIS is the piece you can't conceive (which is bothersome to me).  This person, my daughter's band director in this case, would have the opportunity to explain to me both why he hired this person and why he felt comfortable not informing me.  Not that I would blame him; I'd rather try to see his position from his side.  If he had a rational reason and, in particular, if he had been proven correct for six years by lack of incident of the accused (convicted in this case), then I would judge the circumstances at the time.  I tried to explain this earlier.  Circumstances matter to me.  There is very little black and white in my world, but your mileage may vary.

Now, if you were attempting to bolster your case by boxing me into a seemingly obvious question and answer, again, you're wrong.  I cannot and will not submit to speculation, especially when it comes to my daughter.

Now, I hope I've fulfilled your moral quota, and I'd prefer that we leave my family out of these discussion until, and unless, they choose to enter them themselves.  OK?  After all, until you have kids of your own, it is a bit of an unfair sparring field, is it not?

Edited by garfield
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, dans said:

Given the current environment, I'm shocked that DCI is giving the Crossmen a pass on this. This may come back to bite DCI and further harm the activity we all love!

What, EXACTLY, have "The Crossmen" done in this instance?

What, EXACTLY, might come back to bite DCI?