Your favorite All-Time DCI Year

4 hours ago, Old Cavalier said:

"1961":

HEY, a FAB year of drum corps,!!!!!  My first ever view of the Midwest Corps at VFW Nationals  (Chicago Cavaliers, Royal Airs, Bellville Black Knights , Mafison Scouts, Kilties and Skokie Vanguards in Finals, as well as all the GREAT Eastern corps such as Blessed Sacrament, Garfield Cadets, St Kevins Emerald Knights St Marys Majestic Knights, and the Cambridge Caballeros.

Saw the rise of the St Cathrines Qweensemen, proably Joe Genero's best ever junior charts, and the demise of the once national power St Vincents Cadets.

Great memories.       :guinesssmilie:

Elphaba

Edited by elphaba01
  • Like 2

2008- A lot of great shows and no stinkers.

2015- some of my all time faves like Inferno, Kinetic Noise, Spark of Invention, other great shows like Because and Madison's show. But it had some of my least favorite shows and too much singing, acting and narration.

1995- the planets, home front, for the fans, stormworks, just a great year.

• Like 1

1985 - it was my first time at finals. It was so exciting, and the night kept getting more and more exciting as the top corps got closer to performing. Plus 1-12 were all entertaining that year.

3 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

Because it was a wildly entertaining finals show, top to bottom.  

Correct.  It was the best year for big drill moves & guard equipment flying everywhere.  Cavies spinning / juggling 2 rifles at once plus the company front stepping over the guard; Phantom with the circular 'Rockford file'; 27 having everything airborne at once during the drum solo; etc etc etc.  

Not to mention Spirit making ears bleed, Bayonne having the south win the Civil War, BD being smooth, SCV's wild drill plus 'Stone Ground Seven'

It don't get much better than 1980

• Like 3

Probably a cheesy/lazy answer, but last season was the first year I’ve ever been able to get some level of enjoyment out of every single show I had seen live or streamed since I began following DCI in 2004. Last season I found myself rooting for corps I’ve never had any interest in before. My favorite year is 2017.

On 5/24/2018 at 1:46 PM, EntertainmentTrumpsAll said:

Hello everyone, I wanted to help pass some time between now wand when the season starts up next month by asking a question I haven't seen posed in a long time. (I may have missed a thread about it though, I stalk these forums quite frequently but don't comment nearly as much as I should)

My question is, what is your favorite DCI year? Whether it was the quality of the shows, the stiff competition, the backs and forths on the sheets, a year you marched and just loved, whatever it is, what do you consider to be DCI's best year?

For me, I feel somewhat objectively that 2008 was the best year DCI has seen in a looooong time. Phantom being up at the top and overtaking BD was a huge moment for the Corps. However, almost every single show that year was a show I genuinely enjoyed. Crown had one of the highest scoring 4th place shows ever, Cavies performed the heck out of a great themed show, Cadets did, well Cadet things, and the rest of them I really felt just all did such a great job. 

What is your favorite year/what do you think has been the overall best year for DCI?

Interesting. I think based on the number of votes that 1980's finals night is considered the best. I haven't checked out much DCI pre 1995(ish) I'll have to see if I can go back and view some of those shows. 

Any performances in particular that stood out? I know several of you have said "top-to-bottom" but are there any favorites in that particular year?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, EntertainmentTrumpsAll said:

Interesting. I think based on the number of votes that 1980's finals night is considered the best. I haven't checked out much DCI pre 1995(ish) I'll have to see if I can go back and view some of those shows. 

Any performances in particular that stood out? I know several of you have said "top-to-bottom" but are there any favorites in that particular year?

For me, for starters in No particular order:

BD

Spirit

Bridgemen 

Madison

• Like 1